• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ear wear - plugs, phones, buds, commando

:thumb on wearing plugs at highway speeds.
I have just started to listen to tunes on my Zumo using cheap ear buds.
Not so hot an idea. Too much road noise intrudes.
Anybody have a better idea that doesn't cost a bunch?

Go to Walmart and get some noise reducing buds made by Koss. I think they are around $28. Seem to work quite good with my Zumo and the sound is pretty good too.

After trying and sending back a number of the higher end off the shelf plugs, I went to the audiologist and got some custom molded. It was for me the best solution by far. I got 1 pair with speakers and 1 pair without both custom molded to my ears. They work really well and weren't that expensive. I paid $200.00 for the pair with speakers but that included the appointment, the molds being made, and the earphones. I wear them 95% of the time. They fit so well that I use them as ear plugs a lot of the time and if I feel like listening to music or need to listen to the GPS I just plug them in.
If you are going to listen to music, this is the best approach. I'm a musician and am very conscious of my hearing. I can listen to music while riding at the same volume as if I were sitting in my living room. If you try to use normal earphones you will have to turn the music up so loud that you will definately damage your hearing over time.

Bill
07 R1200RT
09 KLR

I never get on the bike without using custom-molded earlpugs; it's a habit now and I don't even think about it. When I want to listen to my iPod (on long trips), or my GPS, I have custom-molded in-ear plugs that both reduce noise and provide sound.

Thanks!

Thanks for all these suggestions, I really appreciate the input!

Am trying some industrial safety plugs on rides now, and am considering a visit for custom molded plugs. I had forgotten but a friend of mine had recommended these years ago... he's gotten turned onto them for regular music/audio use because his daughter had a hearing problem and had various hearing aids over the years. He said they were REALLY comfortable and allowed him to hear the music well at low volumes.

Like billfiler I'm a musician and maybe a little hyper conscious of my hearing. Never worried about it back in the day, but now I know I'm not getting another set of ears at 40! :lol

I've used a variety of disposable plugs from local hardware stores and home centers. I finally settled on Max Lite from Howard Leight by Sperian. The safety guy at work gets them for me by the box. They're by far the most comfortable for extended wear and provide excellent protection. I rarely ride without them. Even the 5-minute trip to the grocery store is more enjoyable with plugs.

Back