Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home tune-ups

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    You're right, why risk toppling or damaging a 20K+ motorcycle just by trying to save a few bucks...?
    Answering your own question with that statement, a few hundred bucks is not "a few bucks", it's a bike payment for those of us that can't afford a GT without a payment book. "High aspirations, low budget".
    If I can get it done without it (accepting a CERTAIN amount of risk), I will do it without it.
    Unfortunately, after looking at the pretty picture of one in use, I probably SHOULD forget about doing it without a stand. Unless I can make something comparable, but probably more work than it's worth.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    I got the $100 model pit bull, not the BMW specific one. I use it on both style K-bikes and feel that it is SOOO functional it easily paid for itself the first time I used it. I do enough tire changes that at current dealer rates it paid for itself very quickly that way as well, but it is so functional and eliiminates the need to remove the fairing for these things.
    Do you have specifics on which model, and to verify it'll work on the front of a GT?
    Advice on where to buy?
    $100 wouldn't be "so bad".
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Rally Rat
    I pretty much just do this for oil changes, which require the bellypan to come off. I don't remove the side plastics. A full bike lift with the front tire lock would be sweet as the ATV lift has to be positioned just right to get the waste oil pan in the right place, just can't afford it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Thanks John. Can you get the spacer up there without taking the lower fairing off? I can't see where there would be space to insert a spacer, I can see what you are saying though and was concerned about it too.
    Gilly

I'm lucky, the GT I can change oil just on the center stand w/o removing anything (or buying an oil extractor device)
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I try to make things as easy as possible for myself when I work on the bikes or cars.....

Here is the link to pirates lair for the Pitbul if your interested.

They show the 1200 but it is also usable on the 1300

Pitbull Link
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Have both Pitbulls... use them all the time , the front one more so...
    Helen's S has no centerstand and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one so we won't

Also, on some GT's and Hexheads that are front heavy, I have put a 45lb weight plate or two on the towel covered rear rack to tip the bike to the rear...before I got the PitBull anyways.

I lifted a LT the other day...I had a helper stand by the bike as it raised up...That baby is a little scarey the first lift, but secure once the stand locked down.

PitBull lessons learned:

1) When using the front stand don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt for the axle first

2) if using your hand to push down on the front stand instead of your foot...watch your fingers when it suddenly goes past the "tipping point" and contacts the ground
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    PitBull lessons learned:

1) When using the front stand don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt for the axle first

2) if using your hand to push down on the front stand instead of your foot...watch your fingers when it suddenly goes past the "tipping point" and contacts the ground
    Steve - great points, I would add a 3rd, be aware of the speed sensor wire on the clutch side fork so you dont pinch it when placing the Pitbul in place

..........and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one so we won't
    Too funny laughed my ass off!
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Steve - great points, I would add a 3rd, be aware of the speed sensor wire on the clutch side fork so you dont pinch it when placing the Pitbul in place
    ROGER that! I am always checking that as well

Too funny laughed my ass off!
    As did she seeing this
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Helen's S has no centerstand and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one so we won't
    I asked Dave Swisher once how he expected to fix a flat on the road with that Porta Pot on the back of his K1100LT. He said "just lay it on it's side and take the wheel off...!".
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

...that Porta Pot...

Which is an amazing accessory; and he just loves it.
    Rinty

There are a couple problems here.
    I checked the link to Pirates' Lair, and found that the price is nearly double what was said earlier. ($175)
    And there was this disclaimer: "Keep one thing in mind when ordering the front lift.. Unlike the rear lift which can be used alone.. you can NOT use the front lift without the rear lift. Se comprende?"
    And I was just about to order one...

One solution we used in shops was to put the bike on the center stand, and run a hold-down strap between the ceiling and anything in the handlebar area. Even better if it angles a bit rearward from bike to ceiling. It doesn't have to lift the weight of the bike, just to keep it from tipping forward.
    JerryAttrick
    2013 K1600GTL, "Siegfried"
    But Mom, I've never found "well enough".

Jerry - you do not need a back lift on a KGT, it has a centerstand, if you look at the picture I posted it shows the centerstand down - i do not not have a rear lift, that is applicable to K's w/o centerstand.

Here is the REAL Pitbul Link

The 150 price sounds familiar

Last edited by Semper_Fi; 12-30-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Actual Pitbul site link added
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I read that too, and felt that if there would be a tipping problem using just the front stand, that I could hold up the bike AND remove the front wheel at the same time....LOL
    No, I though I could use a steel bar and a pair of floor jacks as a fill-in for a rear stand.
    But back to the tipping problem, will the bike be stable enough? Wouldn't the center stand possibly be raised off the floor by the front stand? And if it does, I was thinking the rear tire contact and the front stand contact might be stable enough.....
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I read that too, and felt that if there would be a tipping problem using just the front stand, that I could hold up the bike AND remove the front wheel at the same time....LOL
    No, I though I could use a steel bar and a pair of floor jacks as a fill-in for a rear stand.
    But back to the tipping problem, will the bike be stable enough? Wouldn't the center stand possibly be raised off the floor by the front stand? And if it does, I was thinking the rear tire contact and the front stand contact might be stable enough.....
    Gilly
    I wouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand unless I intended to go racing, or ride a little dirt bike in the desert. And I don't, so I won't. If you have to jerry-rig some way to do minor routine maintenance, imagine what happens when you need to do serious stuff.

True - I have a lift with a stout wheel clamp, but, still .....
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-30-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

No issues with the back tire it is about an 1" off the floor - will take a picture tonight.

It is quite stable with the front and rear in the air
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator