• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Home tune-ups

Have both Pitbulls... use them all the time , the front one more so...
Helen's S has no centerstand and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one :scratch so we won't :hug

Also, on some GT's and Hexheads that are front heavy, I have put a 45lb weight plate or two on the towel covered rear rack to tip the bike to the rear...before I got the PitBull anyways.

I lifted a LT the other day...I had a helper stand by the bike as it raised up...That baby is a little scarey the first lift, but secure once the stand locked down.

PitBull lessons learned:

1) When using the front stand don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt for the axle first:whistle

2) if using your hand to push down on the front stand instead of your foot...watch your fingers when it suddenly goes past the "tipping point" and contacts the ground:banghead :laugh

PitBull lessons learned:

1) When using the front stand don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt for the axle first:whistle

2) if using your hand to push down on the front stand instead of your foot...watch your fingers when it suddenly goes past the "tipping point" and contacts the ground:banghead :laugh

Steve - great points, I would add a 3rd, be aware of the speed sensor wire on the clutch side fork so you dont pinch it when placing the Pitbul in place

..........and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one :scratch so we won't :hug

Too funny laughed my ass off!

Steve - great points, I would add a 3rd, be aware of the speed sensor wire on the clutch side fork so you dont pinch it when placing the Pitbul in place
ROGER that! I am always checking that as well

Too funny laughed my ass off!

As did she seeing this:laugh

Helen's S has no centerstand and she does not want me to cut the carbon fiber bellypan to install one :scratch so we won't :hug

I asked Dave Swisher once how he expected to fix a flat on the road with that Porta Pot on the back of his K1100LT. He said "just lay it on it's side and take the wheel off...!".

There are a couple problems here.
I checked the link to Pirates' Lair, and found that the price is nearly double what was said earlier. ($175)
And there was this disclaimer: "Keep one thing in mind when ordering the front lift.. Unlike the rear lift which can be used alone.. you can NOT use the front lift without the rear lift. Se comprende?"
And I was just about to order one...

One solution we used in shops was to put the bike on the center stand, and run a hold-down strap between the ceiling and anything in the handlebar area. Even better if it angles a bit rearward from bike to ceiling. It doesn't have to lift the weight of the bike, just to keep it from tipping forward.

Jerry - you do not need a back lift on a KGT, it has a centerstand, if you look at the picture I posted it shows the centerstand down - i do not not have a rear lift, that is applicable to K's w/o centerstand.

Here is the REAL Pitbul Link

The 150 price sounds familiar

DSC05777.jpg

Last edited:
I read that too, and felt that if there would be a tipping problem using just the front stand, that I could hold up the bike AND remove the front wheel at the same time....LOL:scratch
No, I though I could use a steel bar and a pair of floor jacks as a fill-in for a rear stand.
But back to the tipping problem, will the bike be stable enough? Wouldn't the center stand possibly be raised off the floor by the front stand? And if it does, I was thinking the rear tire contact and the front stand contact might be stable enough.....
Gilly

I read that too, and felt that if there would be a tipping problem using just the front stand, that I could hold up the bike AND remove the front wheel at the same time....LOL:scratch
No, I though I could use a steel bar and a pair of floor jacks as a fill-in for a rear stand.
But back to the tipping problem, will the bike be stable enough? Wouldn't the center stand possibly be raised off the floor by the front stand? And if it does, I was thinking the rear tire contact and the front stand contact might be stable enough.....
Gilly

I wouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand unless I intended to go racing, or ride a little dirt bike in the desert. And I don't, so I won't. If you have to jerry-rig some way to do minor routine maintenance, imagine what happens when you need to do serious stuff.

True - I have a lift with a stout wheel clamp, but, still .....

Last edited:
No issues with the back tire it is about an 1" off the floor - will take a picture tonight.

It is quite stable with the front and rear in the air

Paul
The Gt of course has a center stand, but still need the forks supported to to a front wheel removal.
Thx Luis, would appreciate that. Still have a number of months to decide what to do. I wonder how hard it would be to make a homemade version of one.
Gilly

Ok here are some pics - bike is semi stored so I did not fuss alot with it.

I have to restate what I said about the rear tire not touching the ground when the Pitbull is in place it does, but I have my suspension set up for 1+luggage (normal), i assume if I set it to single rider soft there will be more space between the tire and the floor when using the pitbull.

However even touching the ground (and it is just touching) it was not enough to affect stability

Side view of the pitbul in use
Sideviewinusel.jpg

Rear Tire Position with bike on Centerstand
Rearposiitonnormal.jpg

View of rear tire with front pitbull in place
Rearposiitoninusel.jpg

Forgot to reply yesterday, thanks MUCH for posting those pics, Luis.
My idea right now is this:
If I could built something just for a wheel removal, I think I would do something like: 2 bars, one on each side of the bike, which I would weld together at the base. The base would be under the wheel when installed. At the top of the 2 bars I would weld on a pair of pins, similar in dimension (thickness) of what is on the front stand you have.
Installation would be trickier, I'd need someone to insert it into place as the front of the bike is being lifted.
Sound like that would work? I had always thought the main stand were being lifted up off the ground, but if all this does is hold the front WHEEL (tire) off the ground, I should be able to make something that will work. I could even weld a longer piece perpendicular to the base to give it extra front/rear stability.

Gilly

Great idea - but what about cutting a check for $150 and have something specifically designed without all the hoops to jump thru. :dunno

Happy New Year!

Forgot to reply yesterday, thanks MUCH for posting those pics, Luis.
My idea right now is this:
If I could built something just for a wheel removal, I think I would do something like: 2 bars, one on each side of the bike, which I would weld together at the base. The base would be under the wheel when installed. At the top of the 2 bars I would weld on a pair of pins, similar in dimension (thickness) of what is on the front stand you have.
Installation would be trickier, I'd need someone to insert it into place as the front of the bike is being lifted.
Sound like that would work? I had always thought the main stand were being lifted up off the ground, but if all this does is hold the front WHEEL (tire) off the ground, I should be able to make something that will work. I could even weld a longer piece perpendicular to the base to give it extra front/rear stability.

Gilly

I think my brother will make me one out of scrap for 1/3 of that, maybe even a few brewski's if I catch him in a good mood (or when he might need some work done on one of his many cars). Just a little cash flow deficient right now, is that the word for it?
This winter, about all I can hope for is a new helmet (just found out my helmet was made in 2000! Yikes!), and the new tire I should get pretty early next season.
Gilly

That sounds good -I have no welding equipment or skills so for me the purchase was the easy way.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

Or maybe even just something I could make out of 2X4's could work too. The wood wouldn't damage the paint on the forks. If that's all I need it for is to just hold the front of the bike up while I have the wheel off. I would want to make some kind of bracing so it doesn't just fall off. Wouldn't be too hard. I'd do this before I'd try to "string the bike up by the ceiling". Just kicking ideas around before I get the bike out for spring and want to replace the front tire. I am sort of chicken-ing out on the floor jack idea, not worth possibly bending up the ol exhaust system. If it seems like it's not going to work out, I'll spend the money on a Pitbull.
If I have to. I guess;).

Gilly

Have seen used Pitbulls on Craigslist recently...about 1/2 price...of course AFTER I bought mine...worth a try

Back