Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Home tune-ups

Paul
    The Gt of course has a center stand, but still need the forks supported to to a front wheel removal.
    Thx Luis, would appreciate that. Still have a number of months to decide what to do. I wonder how hard it would be to make a homemade version of one.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Ok here are some pics - bike is semi stored so I did not fuss alot with it.

I have to restate what I said about the rear tire not touching the ground when the Pitbull is in place it does, but I have my suspension set up for 1+luggage (normal), i assume if I set it to single rider soft there will be more space between the tire and the floor when using the pitbull.

However even touching the ground (and it is just touching) it was not enough to affect stability

Side view of the pitbul in use

Rear Tire Position with bike on Centerstand

View of rear tire with front pitbull in place
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Forgot to reply yesterday, thanks MUCH for posting those pics, Luis.
    My idea right now is this:
    If I could built something just for a wheel removal, I think I would do something like: 2 bars, one on each side of the bike, which I would weld together at the base. The base would be under the wheel when installed. At the top of the 2 bars I would weld on a pair of pins, similar in dimension (thickness) of what is on the front stand you have.
    Installation would be trickier, I'd need someone to insert it into place as the front of the bike is being lifted.
    Sound like that would work? I had always thought the main stand were being lifted up off the ground, but if all this does is hold the front WHEEL (tire) off the ground, I should be able to make something that will work. I could even weld a longer piece perpendicular to the base to give it extra front/rear stability.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Could be another one for the DIY section!
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Great idea - but what about cutting a check for $150 and have something specifically designed without all the hoops to jump thru.

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Forgot to reply yesterday, thanks MUCH for posting those pics, Luis.
    My idea right now is this:
    If I could built something just for a wheel removal, I think I would do something like: 2 bars, one on each side of the bike, which I would weld together at the base. The base would be under the wheel when installed. At the top of the 2 bars I would weld on a pair of pins, similar in dimension (thickness) of what is on the front stand you have.
    Installation would be trickier, I'd need someone to insert it into place as the front of the bike is being lifted.
    Sound like that would work? I had always thought the main stand were being lifted up off the ground, but if all this does is hold the front WHEEL (tire) off the ground, I should be able to make something that will work. I could even weld a longer piece perpendicular to the base to give it extra front/rear stability.

Gilly
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I think my brother will make me one out of scrap for 1/3 of that, maybe even a few brewski's if I catch him in a good mood (or when he might need some work done on one of his many cars). Just a little cash flow deficient right now, is that the word for it?
    This winter, about all I can hope for is a new helmet (just found out my helmet was made in 2000! Yikes!), and the new tire I should get pretty early next season.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

That sounds good -I have no welding equipment or skills so for me the purchase was the easy way.

Sounds like you have a good plan!
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Or maybe even just something I could make out of 2X4's could work too. The wood wouldn't damage the paint on the forks. If that's all I need it for is to just hold the front of the bike up while I have the wheel off. I would want to make some kind of bracing so it doesn't just fall off. Wouldn't be too hard. I'd do this before I'd try to "string the bike up by the ceiling". Just kicking ideas around before I get the bike out for spring and want to replace the front tire. I am sort of chicken-ing out on the floor jack idea, not worth possibly bending up the ol exhaust system. If it seems like it's not going to work out, I'll spend the money on a Pitbull.
    If I have to. I guess.

Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Have seen used Pitbulls on Craigslist recently...about 1/2 price...of course AFTER I bought mine...worth a try
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown