Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Driving lights

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046

    Driving lights

    Anyone with experience using these? details? Thanks.

    http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanleitungen/700922.pdf
    MOA #46783

  2. #2
    Jack Herbst
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Posts
    591
    Yes I have them on my 650GS (twin). I like them and bought them through Wunderlich America.

    I have Motolights on my R1200RT. This is a better installation for the RT and looks better for twice the price though.

    Jack

  3. #3
    TourNut
    Guest
    I put on the smaller rectangular KC HiLites Driving lights with custom - made steel rod brackets from the fairing frame. Speaking as an automotive exterior lighting designer for 21 years, the better the reflector around the bulb, the more light you will get, whatever the bulb wattage is. I reduced my 100W H3 bulbs to 55W H3 to be easier on the bike's battery and charging system. Mine run from the battery , thru a fuse and relay. Relay triggered by Hi beam ,very little amp , wire input and a switch to completely turn off circuit, when needed.
    KC lights have excellent reflectors - about $55 each at off-road vehicle stores, you can get 3 different lenses - legal reasons. chrome or black housings. rubber bellows hides the mounting pivots. I have used same model of driving light on '84 R80GS, '91 GoldWing, and now the R1200RT.
    I put large "Cobra" brand , bullet-style driving lights on the Shadow .
    I silicone seal all driving lights no matter who makes them or even though they have "seals" already, because you don't want moisture in the lamp touching bulbs or reflectors. Driving speeds really can drive water into lamps if they aren't practically hermetically sealed (look at some car headlights !).

  4. #4
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    Quote Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
    I silicone seal all driving lights no matter who makes them or even though they have "seals" already, because you don't want moisture in the lamp touching bulbs or reflectors. Driving speeds really can drive water into lamps if they aren't practically hermetically sealed (look at some car headlights !).
    Great idea. I'm running a set a moto's and like them a lot, but have not been able to make the 100% water proof and have been through a few bulbs, free through the company, but I would rather not change them at all and will try this. Using any particular silicone?
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  5. #5
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Yes I have them on my 650GS (twin). I like them and bought them through Wunderlich America.

    I have Motolights on my R1200RT. This is a better installation for the RT and looks better for twice the price though.

    Jack
    Hi, which mottolights do you have for the R1200RT? And can you post a picture of them on your bike? Were they easy to install? Do you happen to have a parts list for the total install? (no worries if you don't, thanks for any further information you can provide).

    Thanks

    I have a 2008 R1200RT and would like to install brighter lights with more coverage of the road.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Hi, which mottolights do you have for the R1200RT? And can you post a picture of them on your bike? Were they easy to install? Do you happen to have a parts list for the total install? (no worries if you don't, thanks for any further information you can provide).
    Motolights come as a complete kit. The lights themselves are essentially the same - strap mount, caliper mount, and fender mount for some bikes. The kits also contain a complete relay equipped wiring harness with switch.

    You can choose brushed aluminum, black, or chrome$. There are a couple of choices for the front lens ring - recessed, knurled, etc.

    The newer caliper mounts are supposedly more attractive - but I like the original and still available strap mounts. This makes them "install and forget." The caliper mounts require re-aiming at each tire or brake pad change. Not difficult - but not needed at all with the strap mounts.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  7. #7
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003

    Thumbs up

    I had Moto Lites installed on my CLC at the Rally in TN. The caliper mounts are great and the additional light when riding home from work after mid-night is excellant both to the sides and front. Ride Safe

  8. #8
    Shan Ren
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carmel, NY
    Posts
    9

    A question

    Hi,

    I just got motolights for my R1200R. I need to know how much to torque down the caliper mounting bolt and I haven't been able to find the number here or on r12002.org.

    Does anyone know the number?

    Thanks in advance.

    Liam

  9. #9
    RTST
    Guest
    I saw the Clearwater LED lamps at the International MC show last month and I was very impressed with the quality, mounting and being able to vary the brightness. Somthing you might want to look at before you decide.
    Larry

  10. #10
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Hi,

    I just got motolights for my R1200R. I need to know how much to torque down the caliper mounting bolt and I haven't been able to find the number here or on r12002.org.

    Does anyone know the number?

    Thanks in advance.

    Liam
    Brake calipers on Hexheads - 24 Nm rear/30Nm front
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  11. #11
    Shan Ren
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carmel, NY
    Posts
    9

    Thanks

    Sorry about the hijack.

    Thanks Henzilla.

    Liam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •