• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SERIAL NUMBER-What year is it REALLY ? ?

J

JIM

Next question Guys. If my serial number [6146572] after checking with MAXBMW says that I have a 77 R100/7T, but my registration say its a 1979. Which do I go by when buying parts or re-registering the bike. I'm sure BMW couldn't for see the changes that would be made to a 79 back in 77 when it was produced. I'm asking because I just found out I have to get inside the motor[comp= 80#'s L/cyl and leaking into crankcase:95 R/cyl leaking into carb]. Only paid $600 for bike and I can't quit now,and after all the great help I receaved with the kick stand issue. Thanks in advance, JIM.

looks like your bike was made in October of 1977 according to the serial number, i would buy parts for a 77 regardless of what your registration claims.

i had this problem all the time with an 84' R100 "basic" that the cruddy dealer i went to before discovering max's shop (and before knowing much about bmws) always tried putting an RS or RT suffix on.

Are you reading that number off the engine or the VIN tag? If the last digits don't match, there has been an engine swap.

The frame number [near the steering head] is the same as the registration. Its a small thing. But I would like to know what to call it a 77 or a 79. If you see what I mean.:scratch

RON...sorry. I missed your point. Yes the frame and engine are the same number. When you get "old" these things happen.

The frame number [near the steering head] is the same as the registration. Its a small thing. But I would like to know what to call it a 77 or a 79. If you see what I mean.:scratch

For what ever reason it was not registered until 1979 when it was registered as a new vehicle and aquired its DMV birthdate of 1979. This is not that uncommon. My first Roadster was a carry over and the DMV were going to register it for the wrong year until I ask why.

It is a 77.

Sounds like the registration is off...possibly someone misread 77 as 79 on the original application. Definitely go by the VIN and the year it says for ordering parts. If the VIN indicates its October 1977, then you actually have a '78 model. My R100/7 was built in September 1977 and it's titled as a 1978. My VIN is only 500-600 less than yours...I just call it an R100/7...I don't bother with the "T" part of the designation.

By that timeframe in 1978, things were already changing to meet EPA standards in the US, although I thought the official timeframe was Jan 1, 1978. Anyway, I would say that your bike is not in danger of being on the cusp of any major changes such as 76 to 77 (/6 to /7), 78 to 79 (points to bean can), or 80 to 81 (a whole host of things).

Your bike is really a '78 model.

RON/CURT/MIKA Its Offical then. When I re-register it, She;ll be a 78 and this will make things alot easyer on me and my feable mind. Thanks:thumb

It's pretty easy to tell a '79 from a '78 from a '77.

'79 will have new-style handlebar switches, with turn signals on left

'78 will have old-style handlebar switches with turn signals on right and no headlight switch.

'77 will have old-style handlebar switches with turn signals on right and ability to turn off headlight.

Unless they've been changed, of course.

I agree that if bike was assembled in 10/'77 it's a '78.

Sounds like the registration is off...possibly someone misread 77 as 79 on the original application.

Believe it or not, the DMV (or DoR in MO) actually does typo. They typo'ed the VIN on my R75 title and the VIN on my boat title. I got both corrected (after a long, amazingly annoyingly pointless run-around) and they tried to charge me a "title correction fee." I wasn't going to play along.

..and when I got my boat title back, they typo'ed my address. Whatever, I'm just lucky I got it.

See attached...

Your bike is a 1978 R100/7 US spec. according to the Snaab parts book from 78 which lists the range of motor numbers and includes yours under 78 R100/7 for USA delivery. I need to give you guys this page from the book ~ it has come in handy.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, the DMV (or DoR in MO) actually does typo. .... I got both corrected (after a long, amazingly annoyingly pointless run-around) and they tried to charge me a "title correction fee." I wasn't going to play along.

For what its worth, its no better at Maryland's DMV (MVA). When I sold my '72 R60/5, they tried to hold up registration on another vehicle claiming I used the license plates....which I had in my hand, still in the sealed bag, stickers in the sealed envelope. After 3 hours of "amazingly pointless run-around", they finally said "Ok, Allen we'll send you a check for the full cost of the license plates". Ummm....ma'am, my name is Tony. Who is Allen. They actually had to look AGAIN at my papers, driver's license, etc. which they'd had for 3 hours.

Turns out they had flubbed up the title numbers and some poor guy (Allen) will go through the same "amazingly pointless run-around" at some point.

It was now 1.5 hours after they closed and I wasn't leaving until this was settled. Finally, I got what I wanted. Looked directly at them both and said "I admire your ability to get paid for this, its truly astonishing". They both smiled with a vacant look on their faces and said thank you. :banghead

This is moving slightly away from the original subject however...

Entry errors on official forms are called "Scribners Errors" by the governmental agency which creates them. That is the name for mistakes made by those who are hired to fill in the blanks on the same official forms, day after day while you (and people who are not as nice and well behaved as you are) wait

State and local authorities are immune from prosecution for errors of this sort as they are considered common and correctable by re-submitting paperwork when they are discovered. That is probably why some motor vehicle officials will try to stick you with a fee. The way the ÔÇÿuniform codeÔÇÖ is written, it really is no ones fault but yours for not reviewing the paperwork before you plunk down the money. A "new" 1979 made bike sold in 1981 becomes a 1981 as it's first year of registration for title purposes. The VIN is the important number to you.

As a result of some official mind wandering I have a "77" R100RS that was first purchased -new- in 1977 with - according to Louisiana DMV, 700,000 miles on it (from the test track at the factory after assembly no doubt). It was made in late 76 but probably only titled as a 77 because it was purchased in 77. When the title came to the original owner, it listed the original mileage as 700,000 instead of 000007 miles. If mistakes were all as laughable as this one.

In California, the title and the registration contains a box titled 'Year First Registered'...it's in a more prominent location than the 'Year Model' box...very confusing, and vehicle owners latch onto the information in the first box, which doesn't always match the information in the second box, and they get absolutely adamant about it!!! Don't know if that's the case with other states...

Il dmv

When I purchased a 84 BMW from IL, the tittle had the VIN as VRxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had to take bike to Michigan DMV to get then to check the VIN, before a tittle could be listed. My insurance company caught it, but since the tittle listed 'VR' I had them issue insurance as that, then correct after I got a plate to take to DMV.

The bike had been tittle for 15 years wrong in IL.

Back