• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 valve adjustment question

S

Sagewind1951

Hi, all. I note the Clymer manual advises to retorque the heads before adjusting the valves (every 5K miles). Harkening back to my VW working days, I recall this wasn't necessary (after the first break-in). I also don't recall it from other bikes I've owned/maintained. What does anyone knows about the need for this...and does everyone do it? I ask only because this rascal looks an awful lot like half a VW Type I engine...:scratch
I'll probably do it anyway, just curious about what's different.

Hi, all. I note the Clymer manual advises to retorque the heads before adjusting the valves (every 5K miles). Harkening back to my VW working days, I recall this wasn't necessary (after the first break-in). I also don't recall it from other bikes I've owned/maintained. What does anyone knows about the need for this...and does everyone do it? I ask only because this rascal looks an awful lot like half a VW Type I engine...:scratch
I'll probably do it anyway, just curious about what's different.
I re-torque heads 500 mi after they've been removed (and maybe at 1K), but not at every valve check -- the top forward stud is way too easy to pull out to risk unnecessary re-torquing cycles.

I also don't retorque my head bolts every time I check the valves. What I do, though, is to go ahead and try the torque wrench up to the value (~24-25 ft-lbs)...if it doesn't move, then essentially the torque value hasn't changed from the last time. It's not going to tighten up...loosening is what you're looking for. There are differences in static torque and a sliding torque (the latter is what you want when actually applying the torque), but I figure if it takes the torque value in a static case, it should be fine.

Thanks for the advice

I wondered about that...it was something we had to watch REAL carefully on VWs. I don't need any helicoils in my life at this juncture if I can avoid it. There are no obvious leaks around the pushrod tubes or cylinders, so everything seems to be holding OK.

You only need to re-torque them at 500 miles and again in 2 to 3 thousand after replacing the head gaskets or if you are re-aligning the rocker arms.
Also on motors with high miles the top of the valve stem will become dished. If the rocker seems a little loose after adjusting tighten the ajuster a 1/8 turn more.

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the good info. I tried the static torque (understanding it's not the same as a dynamic/sliding torque)...nothing moved. Didn't actually even need a valve adj. (none were tight, only 'loose-ness' within normal range, i.e. less than .001". Never hurts to check, though. Take care, Happy New Year, Norm:thumb

Back