Thread: smoother shifting after trans lube change?

smoother shifting after trans lube change?

I changed the oil/filter, trans and diff lube yesterday. Only had time to do that and have several other things to do, i.e. spline lube, fork oil, brake fluid, etc., for a complete service. I used some unused/unopened Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 75w90 left over from my Audi diffs service.

Even in <50 degree temps yesterday afternoon I noticed the trans shifting was a lot smoother and in 100 miles of back roads riding I only hit one false neutral. The shifting is smoother in both up and down shifts. Only thing I can think of for this before attributing any magical lube qualities to the Lubro Moly is the previous lube was 75w140 lube.

Anyone else ever notice this with a change of the trans lube?
    Last edited by gawga_boy; 12-18-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Frank
    '86 K75C a.k.a Magic Carpet

The other possibility was it was a placebo effect which was my first thought when I noticed the difference. But after the several series of downshifts I was sure that wasn't the case and the difference was real.
    Frank

I've certainly felt a difference in shift quality with different lubes. Since the weather is cool, a lighter weight lubricant might well make the bike shift smoother. Conversely - I found on my former K75S it was much happier in the summer with the 75W-140 BMW Synthetic.. less crunching/clunking on shifts. I suspect the 75W-90 just thinned out too much when it got hot and let the gears spin down too quickly.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

mine shifts much better since I switched to Mobil 1 Syn 75-90.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    ... less crunching/clunking on shifts....
    Precisely what I'm seeing now with the new lube.
    Frank

I would like to tackle a trans gear change tomorrow. I am not sure what is in there now but I suspect it is the original fluid or at least some OEM type.

I would like to go synthetic. What exactly am I looking for and where can I get it from? What quantity will I need? As for the rear diff, is there a substitute to the BMW OEM stuff? Is so what is the details on that?

Thanks,
    Todd
    1994 K75/2

Owner/Designer, LampOneDesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
    I would like to tackle a trans gear change tomorrow. I am not sure what is in there now but I suspect it is the original fluid or at least some OEM type.

I would like to go synthetic. What exactly am I looking for and where can I get it from? What quantity will I need? As for the rear diff, is there a substitute to the BMW OEM stuff? Is so what is the details on that?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Brick K Bike, right?

80w90 non synthetic or synthetic, or 75w90 synthetic. 75w140 synthetic is an acceptable substitute. Must have API GL5 rating. 850cc capacity.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

kayseventyfive
    My only complaint is the 1-2 upshift. It is grunchy unless done slowly at a low shift point.

Is that the worse shift in the box design, or is it the first to show a problem?

Does anyone think a lube change would show an improvement on just that one shift?