• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alaska

Vancouver, WA to Watson Lake, Yukon Territory

I am planning a trip from Vancouver, Washington to Watson Lake, Yukon Territory and back. Leaving around May 22 and planning to take two weeks to make the 3900 mile trip. Will also visit Hyder, Alaska, Jasper, Banff, Waterton Lake, and Glacier NP.

Looking for a traveling partner (not two up, of course).

I am 56, married, two kids in college, employed. Mostly a backpacker and photographer, but got to give up one of those hobbies for this big swing through B.C.

If anyone is interested, please get in touch via the forum or by e-mail.

Thanks!

John Harris
harris8407@comcast.net

Well here I am, in Ft Nelson BC, 2/3 of the way from Milwaukee to Homer AK.
The wilderness has yet to begin, from what I've been told. Did see my first moose, although dead on the side of the rode.
Met a bunch of guys tonight from Kentucy riding Japenese bikes, back from their journey to AK.
There's a bunch of guys on Harleys staying at the Super 8 here that have a car and trailer with their gear, running as their pilot car. Go figure.
Looking out my 4th floor window, I see a snow blower on the roof of the building next door. This is "up-nort", for sure.
I think the most breathtaking views of the trip so far have been Banff, the Icefields & glaciers, and the fun roads. Memories of a lifetime.
I was going to upload a pic or two. Can you believe it, I left my camera usb cord at home. Well, I'll have to wait until I get home.

Look for a 'Source' store - may be in the local hardware store. You should be able to find another cable fairly easily. (Then you can just leave one in your gear bag.) We're not leaving for another week. I'd LOVE to see some pictures from your trip!

Hope we cross paths in Redmond! I'll be on my silver CL, camping with Sherpa Ted.

Safe travels!

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. Haven't seem a Source store yet, but keeping my eyes peeled. Haven't taken many pics lately. Raining constantly. Getting discouraged. Arrived in Anchorage today for an oil change and to do laundry. Tomorrow, Homer and hopefully, sunshine!!!
I don't want to get into how depressing the last 100 miles of the Canadian Alcan and the first 40 miles of the Alaska Alcan was. Rain and the worst road surfaces this side of the moon craters. But hey, I made it to Alaska, solo. Now few days rest.:clap

Karen,

When you get to Fairbanks you'll have nothing but clear blue skies and gentle warm breezes... guaranteed... I hope.

Thanks Kevin, I'm counting on that. :D
Here's one Clowry!
Riding along Alaska Highway #1 on the Kenai.
DSCN1497.jpg
Actually had two days of partly sunny and no rain. Could this be a sign of things to come?

How's this for a cabin, Wezul? I'm in Homer. (not Simpson) AK. A very nice town. Have a piece of Sockeye Salmon to put on the grill tonight and a bottle of white wine. :bottle Not a bad way to spend a summer evening.
DSCN1523.jpg

In Homer a place like that is considered palatial.

The amazing thing is the clear blue sky above the cabin; a rare thing in Homer.

Watchout for all the Hoka Hey Harley riders. There are hundreds of them headed your way.

Impressive ride, Karen, and nice bike!

But we need some pictures with you in there, too. :thumb

Way to go, Karen! (And thanks for the pictures, too!) What an awesome trip! We're leaving I the morning, and I can hardly wait! :wave

I can just imagine the high you're experiencing, Karen. What an exciting time!
Ride safe and keep us posted.

:thumb

Brian and I are "riding" right along with you. Can you feel us pulling down your gas mileage?

:D

Safe travels. See you soon! :hug

DSCN1578.jpg

Saw him (or her) Sunday along the road with zoom. At safe distance, with the motor running of course.
This bear was in the Yukon, not Alaska. Today, by the way, was the best day I've had on the road. Clear sky, started in the 50's and ended a high of 76. Who can complain about that. Saw buffalo, black bear and mountain sheep.
I gave up on Alaska after so many days of rain. (Sorry, Kevin).
:cry
But, I'm very satisfied I made it there and know what I want to see on the next trip.

Back