• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R3: what's the story

B

BUBBAZANETTI

came across this. seems to be a bike that was made in low numbers for one year. is it a "big deal" vintage model or just an odd ball single?

Yes.

If you're into the singles, the R3 is pretty unusual. Jack Wells in Florida has one, but I'm sure his is fully restored.

BMW fiddled with the singles to meet the varying laws about licensing, insurance and other opportunistic things. When the army started rearming seriously, they were making the R35, and so that was made in big numbers. After the war, the plant was in the Soviet zone and they pumped out R35s into the mid 50s.

Technically, the singles usually trailed the twins by a "generation". So this R3 from 1937 still has the leaf sprung trailing link fork that BMW abandoned on the twins at the end of 1934 and the hard tail and pressed steel frame that BMW was only making at that time for the R12 twins that the army was ordering. For the civilians, BMW was bringing out the R51, a tube framed, telescopic fork and plunger rear suspension bike with a foot shifter.

This particular bike does look very authentic, right down to the tires (except for that add-on brake light switch and accompanying taillight assembly).

I'm sure the sale price is inspired by some of the amazing prices gained by last month's Bonham's auction at the BMW Museum of the Willy Neutkens collection, where an R32 went for $170k, more than double any price I've heard of for an R32 before that.

Doesn't Jack Wells have one of everything, Darryl?
His display at Gray was impressive, yours too!

Here are a couple photos of Jack Wells' bikes from the '06 MOA Rally in VT. The R3 and R4 are sibling models, and what I read says that the R3 was developed for export markets where a 300cc bike was cheaper to register than a 400cc.

R4:
P7223108.JPG

R3:
P7223110.JPG

Doesn't Jack Wells have one of everything, Darryl?
His display at Gray was impressive, yours too!

Thanks, but I only had two old bikes at Gray.

Jack brought a whole semi trailer full of bikes. He apparently has a big collection, but I don't think he has one of everything.

This gentleman, in Maine, i believe, may have close to one of everything. The YBs had a trip to see his collection IIRC at one point, but I was not able to attend.

This gentleman, in Maine, i believe, may have close to one of everything. The YBs had a trip to see his collection IIRC at one point, but I was not able to attend.

Yes, that's Dave Percival. He is indeed reputed to have "one of everything". I'd love to see his collection!

I got to meet him a couple years ago when he, a German couple and John Harper (VBMWMO member #1) were on the California Marathon, an event put on by a vintage BMW car club (that allowed some biker trash in by mistake, no doubt). I rode my R52 down to the resort where the event ended. Dave's a very nice guy, indeed...

Speaking of Jack Wells, does anyone have contact information for him, or know how I might email him through the MOA?
Many years ago I was his copilot on a single trip at American Airlines and now I'm becoming interested in BMW vintage bikes. I'd love to get in touch with him.
Perhaps someone - or maybe even Jack himself, could send me a PM?

Thanks,
Brad Wheeler

I have Jack's email address at home...but I got that from Darryl...so one of us can PM you his address.

746437624_2yEv8-L.jpg

Begin of the Production 1936
End of the Production 1936
Engine Internal Designation 203/1
Motor Type four-stroke single-cylinder vertical
Bore 68 mm
Stroke 84 mm
Displacement 305 ccm
Max Power 11 hp
Rpm (Max Power) 4200 rpm
Compression Ratio 6.0:1
Valves ohv
Carburetion System 1 x register carburettor Sum type C K 3/500
Engine Lubricating System forced-feed lubrication
Oil Pump gear pump
Power transmission Clutch single-plate, dry
Number of Gears 4
Shifting manual
Gearbox Ratios 3.6/2.18/1.35/1
Rear Wheel Ratio 1:5.11 (with sidecar 1:5.63)
Bevel/Crownwheel 9/46 teeth (with sidecar 8/45 teeth)
Electrical system Generator Bosch 6 V/45/70 W
Ignition System battery ignition
Spark Plugs Bosch W 175 T1
Chassis Designation 203/1
Frame pressed steel twin-loop frame
Front Wheel Suspension cantilever spring, 9 laminae with friction shock absorber
Rear Wheel Suspension rigid
Wheel Rims 2.5 x 19
Tyres front 26 x 3.5 balloon
Tyres rear 26 x 3.5 balloon
Brakes front drum brake
Brakes rear drum brake
Dimensions and
weights
Length 1980 mm
Width 850 mm
Height 950 mm
Wheel Base 1320 mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 12 l
Unladen Weight, Full Tank 149 kg
PermittedWeight Limit 200 kg
Fuel Consumption approx. 3 l/100 km
Oil Consumption approx. 1 - 2 l/1000 km
Top Speed 100 kph
Numbers Produced 740
Price 995,- RM

Dave Percivals' collection is in his private museum which is behind his home in Maine. I have been there several times and Dave is very open to showing his collection to enthusiats. It is by invitation only and not open to the public.

Nice - I will give him a shout next time I head up, it is only about a 3 hour ride for me through some nice parts of Maine.

I think the upper photo is really a Series 1 R2, not an R4. Note the exposed valve gear. An R3 is almost visually identical to an R4.

Bruce

Here are a couple photos of Jack Wells' bikes from the '06 MOA Rally in VT. The R3 and R4 are sibling models, and what I read says that the R3 was developed for export markets where a 300cc bike was cheaper to register than a 400cc.

Museum

Dave has openned up his museum during the Maine European Motorcycle rally at Sunday River. http://www.eurobikemaine.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
You'll find event details of the meet in July. Not sure if he is going to be available to show this year though.

Catch up with the DP Motorsports team at Mosport in August and the Barber Festival 2010.

Back