• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 GS service question

P

prider1200gs

I had my 07 GS scheduled for a 18K service, approx cost $400.00. There is a new guy at the place where I have my bike serviced and yesterday he tells me I also need to have my final drive fluid drained and replaced, I thought this was a lifetime fill at the factory since theres no drain plug and he also tells me that my brake lines need to be flushed and refilled, I've had several bikes, different makes and models, over 50K miles and have never changed my brake fluid. These extra items almost double the price. My question is: Do these "extra" items really need to be done or will I just be adding to the dealers bottom line? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

If you spend a bit of time browsing the DIY subforum these items are covered there.

The answer to your question: Yes - they must be done.

The brake fluid change interval is 2 years from the date the bike was manufacturered. I suspect since you have an '07 - that date is now past. The process is to FLUSH out the old fluid. At no time should the system go to air (or require "filling".)

The final drive fluid was originally spec'd as "Lifetime" - after getting a bad reputation for grenading rear-drives, BMW changed this specification to every 12,000 miles. If yours is still the oil put in during the 600 mile service (it was changed then right?) - you're about 6,000 miles late on that change.

Again - if you want to DIY - there are writeups in the DIY section guiding you step by step through the process.

and btw, and fwiw- ALL vehicles using hydraulic fluid need to have their fluids flushed every few years. Cars typically call for a 2-4 year interval, bikes are more frequently 1 or 2.
reason being- hydraulic fluid is highly hygroscopic: it absorbs water, even in a "sealed" system. boiling point of water is much lower than that of hydraulic fluid, and if enough water is present, under repeated hard brake application, you could end up boiling your water-filled fluid. the end result of that would be fluid expansion, and hydraulic lock up- your brakes would be engaged, and no way to disengage until things cool down. that , and poor operation all the time (mushy feel), along with rusting/rotting internals, seals, etc.
yeah, you want to change that stuff.

and btw, and fwiw- ALL vehicles using hydraulic fluid need to have their fluids flushed every few years.

Replace the word "hydraulic" with "brake" and I'll agree.

BMW is now using mineral oil for the clutch which is not hygroscopic and need not be changed on a regular basis. You may, however, have to clean and remove the cap to withdraw a small bit of fluid as the clutch wears. You don't want the level above the max mark. I think I check that as part of my 12K service.

Its where you live and ride;

Moisture is to some locales a much larger concern. If one lives in desert, like me, the brake fluid will live much longer! Its so dry here in the SWest. ..Randy:thumb:usa

Back