• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Most stores have several in stock. You just need a pick up or a trailer and they will forklift it on for you.

Thanks for that bit of info. I'll call ahead when the time comes. I might as well pick up their full size blast cabinet while I'm at it.

The PO of my house had a 4 poster hyd lift in the shop...can't believe he didn't leave it for me.

I know; what is this world coming to. :dunno

The HF in Montclair, CA has a coupon good for 25% off anything on New Year's day. I think that is about the same as the coupon currently in the bike mags. My question: can I fit it in the back of my Toyota Rav4?

The HF in Montclair, CA has a coupon good for 25% off anything on New Year's day. I think that is about the same as the coupon currently in the bike mags. My question: can I fit it in the back of my Toyota Rav4?

Had a 2004 RAV4 in a past life and have picked up two lifts before using a truck...I am going to say no...It is very heavy in a cruddy wooden crate that you would have to scoot into the small cargo area of the RAV...there s a heavy vs lighter end but I personally wouldn't even try it. It's about 9' when inside the crate.

Thanks, I'll get out the tape. May have to wait till I have a way to transport!

The crate is just about 8' - it fit inside my '05 Dodge Grand Caravan. Even out of the crate you would need 7' 3" as that is the length of the top without the detachable ramp.

PT9766

Was remembering it sitting on the tailgate of my truck... forgot it's a shortbed :doh :laugh

Still a load for a RAV 4's inside

getting it home

for anyone wanting one of these lifts but struggling to get it home: I rented a uHaul motorcycle trailer for $12. It is small and has a ramp. The guys at HF loaded it with a fork lift. When I got home, I dropped the tailgate on the trailer, slid the crated lift down the ramp and unpacked it all myself. The cost of the trailer was insignificant compared to the convenience! I love this lift.

Here's a couple of pictures of my mods. The first shows the pieces (in primer) that I welded on to give me a new bar stop setting for a lower height. Welders, cut me some slack on the crappy welds. I forgot to turn on the Ar/CO2 gas! They are ugly, but they are holding.

The second picture is the wheel chock I used to replace the crappy one that comes with the lift. This new one is the kind that you roll the bike onto and it grabs and holds the wheel via the weight of the bike. For the BMW with center stand, it's not really needed. But for my CBR600 and the V-Star, with no center stands, it is essential. It will hold the bike firmly upright. It also is on sale (via a coupon) for $39 (regular $79).

Tell that fat jerk Santa he has until April for these coupon prices!

1262487649_gallery.jpg

1262487657_gallery.jpg

Robo-

I bought the same wheel chock stand. How did you affix it to the lift platform? I see you have the wide bar still attached and as i'm sure you figured out, it doesn't fit on the lift. Yours seems to just hang over the edge?

Got mine for Christmas. I told the wife I was going to buy one after Christmas if Santa didn't bring one. I guess she figured it would be cheaper to go ahead and get one now than get one later and still get me a Christmas gift. My LBS uses three of them. The wheel chock will be replaced this week and non-skid surface applied. Oh and more tie down spots.

Robo-

I bought the same wheel chock stand. How did you affix it to the lift platform? I see you have the wide bar still attached and as i'm sure you figured out, it doesn't fit on the lift. Yours seems to just hang over the edge?

I put the chock together and set it on the lift after removing the crappy vise and front wheel stop that came with the lift. I pushed the chock back until the front mount bar (which conveniently has two tiedown loops on it) was stopped by the stand sides. That it, the lip of the red stand will hit the bar of the chock and it stops. I then just slid it back and forth sideways to center it.

The slot holes in the red stand mate to the front bar of the chock. I marked and drilled two holes in the chock matching the holes in the red stand. The rear was the opposite. There were plenty of predrilled holes in the chock, so I drilled two matching holes in the red stand. I was careful to choose holes that would have clearance for the bolt shaft and nut with the lift in the all the way lowered position.

I took this picture for a demo. If you were working on the bike, it would be fine as is--maybe two straps for good luck, but really, it is stable. I was changing the tires on the bike today, so after the picture, I removed the bike, dissassembled the chock (30 second job), and then put the bike back on w/o the chock pieces. This allowed me to put the bike on the center stand and thus easily remove the front and back wheels. It would be impossible to remove the front wheel when locked in the chock.

PS- I was PMd about the striping.

The red stripes are 1/4 inch 3M reflective tape. It was a gift, so I don't know more about it but I know it came from a racing/auto shop. It says "3M" on it and at night it lights up bright red and looks good.

The lettering, "Schwarzer Geist" was ordered online from

http://doityourselflettering.com/

It was around $30 for both sides in 3M tape, non reflective.

RoboRider,

How do you put your bike on the lift? Do you just ride on or do you walk it up under power?

I have mine together except for the rear ramp, those washers wont fit on the pins with the clips unless I gring one side off some for clearance.

Thanks for the pics too.

Working alone I drive the bike up under power walking next to it, just like a trailer. With a buddy, I can push the bike onto the lift. I didn't affix the ramp on mine. I just put it in place to get the bike on/off and then remove it.

Alex, that's the Cadillac of lifts you linked to.

Alex, that's the Cadillac of lifts you linked to.[/B]

If thats the case, I don't want it. ;)

I always joked about how the Cadillac is the pinnacle of North American luxury car engineering...which of course is pretty sad.

Now if it was the Porsche, or at least BMW of lifts...:thumb

Received an email today from Harbor Freight.....15% off any one item, January 8 through January 11. Regards, Joe

Received an email today from Harbor Freight.....15% off any one item, January 8 through January 11. Regards, Joe

Harbor Freight advertises in several magazines and they have had 20% off coupons in all adds. If you look close under the 20% off coupon in the actual magazines it reads "See HarborFreightUSA.com/cycleworld for additional super coupons". There you will find the latest add coupons plus another page of coupons. For car related coupons, just replace cycleworld with motortrend in the address. Make sure you don't forget the "USA" in the address like I did or you will not find the coupons. :scratch

I am lazy so I went to Harbor Freight with the intent to order an air powered lift. When I got to the store the sale flyer also had an electric lift on sale. This lift is not shown online, item #66247. Normally $599 it was on sale for $499 and I used the 20% off coupon. :thumb I just got the lift home the other night so I will post some pictures soon. It didn't come with a tire vise which I was intending on replacing with the chock anyway and it doesn't have a wheel drop out plate. I hope to get the chock this weekend and I just got my traction tape to put on. More to come in a day or two.

Back