Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rode today!!!

Talking Rode today!!!

Maybe slightly above 30 really, i suppose, but way plenty cold enough for me! Rode from the shop where I had new speedo and clock installed trying to get it perfect for sale. But the fairing kept me ...well not toasty warm, but pretty darned comfortable. Heated grips would have made the difference in turning me into a genuine rounder. But she's all ready for the buyer who I know is out there...somewhere.... waiting....for Spring.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Lucky! Maybe.

Were you at Cycle Werks, perchance?
    I think it got to 33 here in the Glen today, man that is hardcore.

I day dreamed about riding today, does that count?
    It was 6 degrees at 8am then it warmed up to 15 and I went out for 3 hours shoveling and using the snow thrower to clean up the remnants of 24 inches of the "Anit-Ride" stuff. The sun was shining though, and it did hit 32, and all I could think about was riding.

What exactly are you selling?
    Attitude is everything!

08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Thumbs up still cold

It sure didn't feel like 33, tho' that's about what the weather icon on my computer said. Skilling said it would be above freezing, but man! it was only a hair above.

Yep. Cycle Werks. Great shop. Always has been. Hadn't seen Jonh K in some time. They installed a new diode mounts, clock and speedo in the '78 RS I'm trying to sell. Got an 11RT w topcase for my son to lean against. O-ree-gon, here we come!!

I had on my thermal undershirt, silk balaclava, lined overpants, and the liner in my jacket. No electrics today. Only a short ride; about 20 mi. The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. i recently bought new winter gloves, but clutch and brake levers still transmit the cold.

The bike, however started right up first turn of the starter and ran like a little top. Now she's in cousin Mark's garage w the charger plugged in, all snuggled in for a long winter's nap.
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    They sure like that kind of weather.

I passed on getting Gerbings gloves, and opted for their electric glove liners. Danced nice and I don't have the luxury of that RS fairing...yet (still sanding).
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    Yep. Cycle Werks. Great shop. Always has been. Hadn't seen John K in some time.
    Guy and all the mechanics are great too. Actually I've had good interaction with John although I've heard if he doesn't like you you're in trouble, he's always been decent to me.

Talking drop off service

Ditto. Guy and the other fellas in the shop have been great to me. Very generous w both time and info. I suddenly can't think of the youger tech's name....Steve? recent crash/limp/therapy/airhead. Another great guy. Took special pains w my RS, tuning, anylising and test-driving.

Yeah, I think my wife paved the way for me w John. We bought her R65 from him 20-odd years ago and he's been very gracious ever since. Not that he wouldn't have been pleasant to me on my own, but our wives do more than drop us off and pick us up at the shop, don't they?

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Okay you guys knock it off!

As I write this it is -27.5C heading downward with ice fog settling in the low spots. Sigh, time to open a bottle of Cockfighter's Ghost (Shiraz)... ooops wrong thread.

Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Yarddog
    Very cold here, too...all the way down into the mid-sixties...and on top of that, it's raining...

keelerb
    25 degrees in Boston area today. Put about 70 miles on the 84 R100RT. Comfortable as heck - full fairing, heated jacket and gloves, long underwear, jeans, boots, and helmet. I could put on the hippo hands and figure out a bit more heat to the feet (tucking them behind the cylinders is pretty good but they do tend to be the first parts to feel the cold) and take off another 10-20 degrees and still ride all day.

Supposed to hit the 40s tomorrow, but of course the price is...rain! Today was the day, glad I got out there.

Happy rides to all, warm climes and otherwise.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    Very cold here, too...all the way down into the mid-sixties...and on top of that, it's raining...
    ....You suck! ...rainging, hell, ya still oughtta ride, after all its in the mid sixties (I miss NorCal).

Just finished a nice stogie in the porch in 30 funny lovin' degrees. I read Keelerb's post and now, more than ever I wanna get my freshly painted RT fairing (red is gone, all black now) on for a ride tomorrow, rain or shine. I have a heat vest, Gerbings heated glove liners...haven't made it to the socks yet.

One thing I've noticed, the ol' gal LOVES this weather!!!
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

keelerb
    Annapolis, confirmed, the airhead ran incredibly well today (after warming up - I run 20W-50 Redline synthetic oil in the engine year round). It just wanted to GOOOOO! It's generally like that, but today was probably the best I've ever experienced it running - just wanted more and more (me too!).

Talking andale, El Nino!

only 8:00 a.m. and it's already 34 in Chicago! 'nother riding day here!

But I miss Sundays out by the Rock Store, Mullholland, and Malibu Cyn. Watchin' the squids go past. And ain't Latigo a wild little stretch of road!? And that great Crab Shack just N of Zuma!

Could be a while before we see 60 here again, but it's an El Nino year. I'm not giving up hope for some weird weather. Back in the mid-90's when we first lived in So Cal, there were several January days w temps higher in Chgo than LA. C'mon El Nino!!
    Last edited by 26667; 12-13-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: random-osity

I salute you, man. While the roads are clear here (relatively) the side streets, parking lots, driveways are a veritable skating rink.

An aside, I cannot recall the tech's name either although I think he's lucky to be alive based on the story associated with his wreck and subsequent recovery.
    He has a good attitude about the whole experience though and continues to ride. Beyond that he's a good technician, takes the time to talk to me and show me what he thinks needs to be done and why. Cycle Werks has what, 4 bays and maybe 3 or 4 techs including Guy. I don't know how things are done elsewhere but I have been invited in several times to see work in progress and get an explanation as to what and why, very cool. The building they occupy is very interesting, I've never been up to the third floor but I have heard stories about some of the treasure they have up there.

Be careful out there!