• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any HIGH milers on the HEX?

Polarbear

Polarbear
I'm approaching 50000 on mine, a GSA1200'07. Just wonder'in where some are with theirs. I imagine many are over the 100k by now. Mine will most probably get there too, as I cannot afford another or even want to do another for a few years. Did anybody "finance" theirs, with BMW. I did(minimal $ down) and the strokes are 385$ per., so its kind of pricey to buy anything anymore. I'm not compalin'in, just rid'in and smil'in:). I think I will break the 100k barrier on this bike, as only my second to do so in many, many BMWs past. My one true love BMW is still with me at 355000, but has been sitting a lot recently on the charger. R100/7'78 I bought new. These are the really "special ones", that have been with you so long. Know the feeling anybody? Randy:usa

I wish I could say I've done big mileage, but I'm almost ashamed to say that I've barely managed to rack up 8,000 miles on the RT in two years, far cry from the other end of this decade when I routinely logged 20,000 plus miles in a season. Sometimes life just gets in the way of the things you really want to do, or would rather be doing!

Looking at the bright side, the RT will probably last me a good long time at this rate... ;)

I've got 70K+ on my left over 05 R1200RT, bought in 06. No problems. Regular dealer service. Expensive to operate, but totally reliable. 10 sets of tires. My extended warranty, unlimited miles and zero deductible, runs until April 2013

2005 R1200RT Sort of high miles.

I have about 70,000 miles on the '05 RT and all is well both with the rear end and the engine. Regular service, I ride in an aggresive manner and don't baby the bike. While I also have two other BMWs, I hope to put another 70,000 on the bike before I am finished.

Dashbaw

British Columbia, Canada

K1300GT
R1200R
R1200RT

Approaching 60,000 miles on my 07 RT. It has been very reliable! I also have the extended warranty, unlimited miles and zero deductible, which runs until February 2014. I'll be keeping her way past the 100,000 mile mark.

Last edited:
50,000 miles on my 05 RT (bought new in 06) -- all recommended maintenance. No problems to report.

Local guy has just about 100k on his '05 or '06 RT. Was 96k last I saw him but he was headed for Texas. One FD replacement and otherwise I think it's been pretty good for him.

Great;

Welcome"Dashbaw" and #1 posting here:). Canada, much of my favorite riding done there, up North. All others , me too with extended warantee of 7 years on my '07 GSA, I bought new in '08Feb.., so its covered a LONG time to go yet. I've done about 25000 a year so far. I was thinking someone would chime in with 150/200k maybe on a Hex, as '05 was the first year, somebody must be UP there, or well over the 100 mark. Randy:usa:ca

Got 94,000 on my 05gs. Just replaced the driveshaft with a used one, front u-joint went out. When repalcing the shaft I noticed play in the pinion shaft on the FD. Replaced it with a FD drive off a 07 that I bought off of e-Bay a few years back. Problem is the rear wheel sensor is different in the later models. So now my speedo & ABS are inop. San Jose BMW will rebuild the original FD for $450. This all is all bad timing as I'm presently going through a bad divorce after 18yrs of marriage, not to mention the timing of the holidays. So I'll just ride until better times with the 07 FD and use the GPS as a speedo. Bought the bike new and have done all service & work myself beyond the inital 600 mile service.

Got 94,000 on my 05gs. Just replaced the driveshaft with a used one, front u-joint went out. When repalcing the shaft I noticed play in the pinion shaft on the FD. Replaced it with a FD drive off a 07 that I bought off of e-Bay a few years back. Problem is the rear wheel sensor is different in the later models. So now my speedo & ABS are inop. San Jose BMW will rebuild the original FD for $450. This all is all bad timing as I'm presently going through a bad divorce after 18yrs of marriage, not to mention the timing of the holidays. So I'll just ride until better times with the 07 FD and use the GPS as a speedo. Bought the bike new and have done all service & work myself beyond the inital 600 mile service.

out of curiosity, is there anyway you could machine the 07' fd to make it accept the sensor? i have no idea of the layout on the hexheads so this may not be possible at all. i only ask because when i got a 02' fd for my 99' R11S i sent it to a guy who machined a hole in the unit and installed a speed sensor wheel then reshimmed it for me. i think the expletive i let out upon arriving home and seeing there was nowhere for my speed sensor to go could be heard on the other side of town.:laugh

90,297 on my '05 RT. I've owned two airheads, one K, and three oilheads. My RT is by far the most reliable and easiest to maintain of all the beemers I've owned.

Don't think so, the problem with the 05 is that the speed sensor hole is much smaller then the 07 & of course the sensor from the 07 doesn't jive with the 05's computor.

mileage

My '07 is in the 53,000 miles range and headed for Ted"s Beemer Shop and a Wilburs install this week. I love the bike and have farkeled it heavily. My Pinnacle extended warranty insurance bought me a new FD at 46K - surprise to have lost it as the bike and FD have been rigorously maintained and serviced by my certified BMW mechanic.

In 2010 the RT will see at least 4 rallies including the MERA 10 n' 10 - a good test of the latest FD.

My '00 GS with 145k or so on it lost its FD seal 2 weeks after the RT. It too has been rigorously maintained and serviced. This was less a surprise simply because of the mileage. The GS sees local business and pleasure commutes and is fun.

Yep, I would probably purchase another BMW because I don't see an alternative. If the Honda 700 comes in with good reports then it might be a consideration as an alternative - it's not really new as it's been in Europe for several years.

55K on my R120GS never stranded. 56K on my ex-GF's R1200ST and never stranded. 85K miles on my friend Kermit's R1200GS and never stranded.

All had the usual recalls and warranty repairs, but nothing major.

Jim :brow

All of you that have extended warranties that go to 2014 or whatever, who do I contact for an extended warranty, my dealer never mentioned it when I bought my lemon, I mean 1200RT , Sept. '08. The way it is going for mine , I'll need one.
How late can you get one before the 3-year expires ?

I think you can;

Some dealers will say you must buy it at purchase date, but I think they are wrong on this extended warantee thing. Its a ploy to get you to buy it up front. I did however get my first extended one with this bike. GSA'07. These newer bikes are sooooo expensive to fix IF anything does poop out. I used up my 36000 BMW warantee in a year+ and got the 7 year plan when I bought the bike off the floor, NO mileage stipulation:). Randy. :thumb:usa

Most extended warranty companies allow you to purchase their coverage plans without penalty any time during the period when your factory warranty is in effect. I'm planning on purchasing a plan myself around six months before my factory warranty expires which is what my dealer recommended (Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA).

65,000 miles on my '05 12GS. I bought it used in October of 2005 with 12,000 miles on it. Its had regularly scheduled maintenance with rare problems and runs like a top. I'm still on the original shocks which my tech says usually start to go bad and leak at around 70,000 miles, so I'll probably replace them with Ohlins some time within the next year. Otherwise, no issues. Its set up like I want it, and I have every intention of riding it until my youngest daughter is out of college in six years.

Only stranded once, and that wasn't really the "bike." Two years ago I'd bought a new battery and it turned out to be bad. The day after I bought and installed it, the battery was dead. :banghead Unfortunately, the area was flat so no rolling it downhill to push start it. I had it towed to the north Dallas dealership where they replaced the battery without charge, and paid for the tow! :thumb

BTW, here's a fascinating blog where a guy has logged every repair, tire, oil change, farkle, service, etc..., done on his '05 12GS which, at this writing, has 112,864 miles. I know he's on ADVrider, and for all I know he's here, too. Enlightening reading:
http://bmwr1200gsservicehistory.blogspot.com/

Back