• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recall: BMW K1300GT and K1300S 2009-2010

mika

Still Wondering
Report Date : December 12, 2009 at 07:03 AM

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 09V471000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / K1300 GT 2009-2010
BMW / K1300 S 2009-2010

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

Mfr's Report Date: DEC 04, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V471000

NHTSA Action Number: PE09052

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2019

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 AND 2010 K1300 S AND K1300 GT MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 11, 2008 AND NOVEMBER 19, 2009. POOR FUEL QUALITY MAY LEAD TO SMALL DEPOSITS WITHIN THE THROTTLE BODIES. DURING ENGINE OPERATION IN A LOW RPM RANGE, TYPICALLY NEAR IDLE SPEED (WHEN COMING TO A STOP) AIR FLOW COULD BE SUFFICIENTLY RESTRICTED AND ENGINE STALLING COULD OCCUR.

Consequence:
ENGINE STALLING COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPAIR THE MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-201-307-4000.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Thanks Mika - I got a November build so I am in it :(

For those who don't know you can find your build date on the throttle side fork , it is located under the oil cooler

Thanks

Mika,
Thanks for the Official NHTSA posting, and

Semper Fi,
Thanks for the location info.

I don't have stalling issues, mfg in 0709. Can you tell what version of the software you have with out going to the dealer. Does it need to be upgraded to new software if you are not having problems or will they eventually surface. I'm sure I'm the cause when it does stall.

I don't know, if you have a GS-911 you may be able to check.

Regarding your question - my bike is in the recall range - but it really does not stall that much and when it does I have already adjusted my riding style to "catch it"

My plan is that if the stalling gets worse I will have them load the new software.

I want to see how the new software affects (hopefully not) the bikes drivability.

Personally I don't want to trade an issue I can adapt to with something that affects how the bike drives - personal opinion only

Based on the reports of others that have had the new software installed, I plan to have it done as soon as I can get it to the dealer. I have only had a few minor issues with the stalling, NOTHING compared to some. However, the reports I have read from folks who had significant issues before and now have the new software is that it significantly improves drivability. Much better launching from a standstill, no effect on fuel economy, better SOTP feel throughout the rev range, and after nearly 2000 miles for one guy, no stalling at all. Several others with lesser mileage since the new software report the same, these are both S and GT guys.

Are we sure the version of the software being installed now is in fact the same software that will be used when the recall actually begins in January?...

Point Taken

Guess it is time to talk turkey, I mean, talk to a Dealer Service Rep who is in the know....

From speaking to the service manager this weekend I was told it is 14.2; however things change and BMW may modify the software, that being said if they got o say 14.3 (i am making this up); all the changes that made 14.2 for the stalling issues is still there......

I'm a long way from the nearest dealer, so...
If I had one of those diagnostic plug-ins, and
If there was a cooperative dealer,
could this software be loaded at home?

Also a good point. Currently I'm not experiencing the stalling issue, as the latest updates have been done, and I'm still running the additive as well, per dealer recommendation. The question is whether or not the additive will continue to be recommended after the recall. Even if not, I think I'll throw it in every now and then just to keep things clean...any thoughts on that?

K1300GT Still Stalling after latest remap.

I have had the remap done on my K1300GT and it still stalls when coming to a stop. Also, it dropped my gas mileage from 44MPG to 37 MPG. I am going to bring it in next week. The service writer said that they are out of fixes for the problem. I hope that I get a nice demo because I really do not want the bike back until it is fixed. Three of the stalls that I have had nearly caused accidents. The stalling is extremely dangerous. If BMW doesn't get this fixed it is just a matter of time before someone gets run over............

I'm a long way from the nearest dealer, so...
If I had one of those diagnostic plug-ins, and
If there was a cooperative dealer,
could this software be loaded at home?
Short answer, no -- firmware updates are always made with the bike hooked up to the GT-1 (the Big Momma BMW diagnostic computer). Unfortunately, these systems are not set up to be updated like you can update the firmware in the DVD drive in your PC (or Mac, if that's your persuasion).

POOR FUEL QUALITY MAY LEAD TO SMALL DEPOSITS WITHIN THE THROTTLE BODIES. DURING ENGINE OPERATION IN A LOW RPM RANGE, TYPICALLY NEAR IDLE SPEED (WHEN COMING TO A STOP) AIR FLOW COULD BE SUFFICIENTLY RESTRICTED AND ENGINE STALLING COULD OCCUR.

Wow!! A software fix for "small deposit"clogged TB's! Kind of sounds like the fix just parks the TB's open a crack further to overcome the low flow condition, akin to holding the throttle open a crack to overcome a slightly clogged pilot jet on a carburetted engine. :bolt

Maybe we should start a Poll on how many have opened there throttle wide open all out 100%, and # of times per day doing this - then a percentage of total mileage on bike compared to all out at 100% throttle. Just Curious is all---
My 2007 with 15000 miles has never had issues and i run 100% all out at least twice for as long as there is enough road and I know it would be less than 1% of my total mileage..

Oil warning light

Just had the recall software updates done to my 09GT, they also changed out the switches for both sides. Had them do the 6k service as well, The bike only has 4500 on it but I wanted to get it done now.

I would have thought by now the software that was installed would be the latest version and it should not have any problems. I had waited long enough to get it done so they could get it right. This Bike has not had any stalling problems so far.

Nope that would have been to easy, halfway home ( 50miles ) OIL warning lamp came up, checked the level and it was fine. Checked it again when I got home, no problems with the oil, contacted the dealer the next morning and they seemed unclear on what they need to do next.

I guess I need to do another 200 plus round trip to get it fixed again, anybody else still having issues with the low oil lamp, and if fixed what was done. Any more surprises that I should be ready for?

Thanks

Back