Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite piece of art?

BUBBAZANETTI

What is your favorite piece of art?

The Triumph of Death of Bruegel the Elder has held this position for me since I was about 13. I think i first came across it at a flea market when I picked up a copy of the rather rare in the US unofficial Black Sabbath Greatest Hits that featured this painting on the cover. It's not so much the subject matter that attracts me but the Richard Scarryesque busyness of the whole thing. Busy little skeletons..........

Crow18
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    It's not so much the subject matter that attracts me but the Richard Scarryesque busyness of the whole thing. Busy little skeletons..........
    What do you think of Bosch?

I can't think of a single work of art that's my favorite. As far as artists, Piranesi is pretty close to the top of my list. A while back I picked up a 19-century reproduction of this one:

but it's not my favorite. I've seen photos of some of his Emissario del' Lago Albano series that I like much better. Similar to what you like about the Brueghel, I really like the overwrought little figures Piranesi sprinkles across his landscapes.

[QUOTE=BubbaZanetti;523555]The Triumph of Death of Bruegel the Elder has held this position for me since I was about 13. I think i first came across it at a flea market when I picked up a copy of the rather rare in the US unofficial Black Sabbath Greatest Hits that featured this painting on the cover. It's not so much the subject matter that attracts me but the Richard Scarryesque busyness of the whole thing. Busy little skeletons..........

How cool. I saw the original when I stumbled into a museum in Vienna, Austria in 2006. Thanks for posting.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

That's a tough one, as there are several, but I'm fairly sure that some of my favorite paintings are by American artists. Several of which are:

The Gross Clinic, Thomas Eakins

The Gulf Stream, Winslow Homer.

Six O'Clock, Winter, John Sloan.

Elegy to the Spanish Republic, 10, Robert Motherwell.

My First Dog, Magic
    by My Mother

I like Escher too.
    I don't know if I have a favorite though.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post

How cool. I saw the original when I stumbled into a museum in Vienna, Austria in 2006. Thanks for posting.
    must have been on loan, it normally resides in milan, iirc

i've yet to see it, been to milan, but only at night.

535IS
    Well, if you're talking about paintings, I like Bosch & Bruegel, but I also like airbrush artist Philip Castle a lot. [Mott the Hoople's Rock & Roll Queen album cover, A Clockwork Orange publicity art] His favorite themes are cars, hot girls, and aircraft and, as these show, he is not shy about including all three in a single painting:

Then again, my favorite piece of art is the 1975 BMW CSL raced at LeMans and designed by Alexander Calder:

Here it is in color:

Of course, then there's Frank Stella's '76 Turbo car ...

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The piece that really fascinated me was an unnamed, unfinished sculpture by Michelangelo that I saw in Italy as a young Marine. Florence, I think. Just a back and a perfectly formed human arm emerging from a block of marble in a back room of some dark museum. It amazed me that anyone could look at a hunk of rock and transform it like that!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Montreal Street Art. Why fight the graffiti artist, just put them to work and have many examples like this in your city.

or this one

Raymond Quenneville does great landscapes.

Marius Zabin does well with seascapes.

My favorite BMW Art.

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

JPONIKTERA

1978 930. this is art. jmho,,,,,,, jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like a lot of Picasso's work, and am lucky that there is a fair amount of it at the Toledo Museum of Art (that place has never failed to surprise people visiting here. Everyone seems shocked that we have such a great museum - currently a Chihuly exhibition going on). Anyhow, I want to travel to Spain and get a look at this one in person, the very well known "Guernica":

Bosch and Duchamp come to mind

I have loved the Garden of Earthly Delights (Hieronymous Bosch, 1503-04) since I first saw a poster of it in high school. It's chock full of jokes.

I also love The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even (Marcel Duchamp, 1915-23). The original is part of the permanent collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Sounds like a reason for a road trip. This site has an animation of the artwork that really helped me understand it.

Robert Peterson | Cary, NC | 68820
    cat herder and pixel pusher

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I like a lot of Picasso's work, and am lucky that there is a fair amount of it at the Toledo Museum of Art (that place has never failed to surprise people visiting here. Everyone seems shocked that we have such a great museum - currently a Chihuly exhibition going on). Anyhow, I want to travel to Spain and get a look at this one in person, the very well known "Guernica":

+1

One of my favorite Picassos.

I'm like van Gogh quite a bit, but Starry Night is probably my favorite. I had an opportunity to see one of his pieces when it was in Las Vegas a few years ago. It was a wheatfield with a town and the way he painted the scene was amazing. The thickness of the paint and the way he arranged each stroke was unlike anything I'd ever seen.

I greatly appreciate paintings that have strong and definitive strokes and applications of paint.

I have a painting by Sterling Strauser, who painted in a variety of styles over the years. My piece is from 1965 when he was solidly post modern. It's got really strong and dynamic brush strokes.

Our own knary paints in this fashion, as well and I really love his stuff. I've got a piece called "The Couple" that we really, really enjoy.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

OUTBACKUFO
    I got to hold in my hands once a Albrecht Duer from 1645... delivered to a client in Teleuride, CO... interesting thing was only an 8x10... then i for to package a Winslow Hommer once also... Seen so much art and even held it... still so much to see out there...

Normally i prefer japanese and chinese scrolls...
    We have a part of one from this series from Heiji that was re-printed in the late 17th cent.

or Hokusai (known for the WAVE).... got a series of village scences but i always like his more spirital ones
    like the Thunder God

or
    one of my own that is on my desktop rotation

Current favorite is the next one i create.
    Last edited by OUTBACKUFO; 12-12-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBACKUFO View Post
    I got to hold in my hands once a Albrecht Duer from 1645... delivered to a client in Teleuride, CO... interesting thing was only an 8x10... then i for to package a Wislow Hommer once also... Seen so much art and even held it... still so much to see out there...

Current favorite is the next one i create.
    I would be somewhat remiss if I didn't mention some excellent photography -

I have a beautiful photo from some guy named Mike Rand that needs a frame.

I also have a nice photo by a guy named David Henry. He used to work for me and I bought one of his very first color photos for pocket money. He's been in Paris for 15 years anyway and is a professional photographer.

It's this photo, of a woman on Chinese New Year's: http://www.davidphenry.com/States/states01.htm
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.