• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two Up on a K1300GT vs. R1200RT

cookie

Jeff
When I purchased my 08RT I went into the dealer intending to ride out that day with a GT. I test rode both and I liked the feel of the RT a little better, the dealer prep on the GT wasn't very good, the throttle had alot of play and it just didn't feel right.
Now that I have over 15K on my RT I have seriously begun thinking about jumping up to the K1300GT. We ride two up about a third of the time. My question to you'all is; I know many of you GT folks have owned RTs, in your opinions which bike is better suited for two-up. Comfort, roominess, handling, suspension etc.. Thank you for your help.
Jeff

We have an RT. MrsK doesn't care for the GT because it makes her sit too high. She likes to sit and look over my shoulder, almost like we're sitting at about the same height with her maybe an inch or two higher. The GT perches her 3 or 4 inches higher than me, which she says hangs her out in the breeze. She also found the GT to make her sit more upright because the rear isn't as roomy as the RT.

I love the RT and was never an RT guy until I rode this two up with her. I've only really wished for more power a couple times; like that time we were passing those two double trailer coal trucks. We were headed up a long grade and we were loaded with a full load of camping gear. Other than that, the power isn't something I find lacking.

Opinions are like...

I have owned both RT and GT. Ride at leat 50% 2-up on both bikes. I don't think there's a simple answer to the question. IMHO:

RT Pro's:
o Handling seems more intuitive (lower cog?, shorter wheelbase) - more fluid ride/quicker into the turns
o Seat height lower (great for those of us who are inseam impaired)
o Bike feels lighter - easier to handle at slow speed
o Wind management seems to be a little better - envelope wider and taller w/out helmet backpressure.

GT Pro's:
o Engine.
o Then the Engine - all that torque.
o Love that engine. OK - you get the point. (RT is strong until you ride the GT)
o Longer wheelbase - slows handling (offset of above), but also makes bike more stable. (Less family discussion when the wife shifts her weight around w/out telling me).
o Smoother (less vibration) - long rides more comfortable
o Low end torque allows for less shifting/adjusting when running up/down hills - if you want.

There are many other differences, but those are the ones I see as relevant to 2-up riding.

For me personally, I absolutely love the GT. While a little taller, I love the power, smoothness of the 4, and the greater wheelbase/stability.

GT Pro's:
o Engine.
o Then the Engine - all that torque.
o Love that engine. OK - you get the point. (RT is strong until you ride the GT)

Yeah - what he said - Welcome to the Forum Steve!!!

One thing I would like to mention, my wife and I dont usually ride together as she has her own bike, but on the rare occasions we do, she says she needs a back support, we use to ride togerther on a Goldwing, so my obscure point here is you may want to look into a trunk or backrest as a support.

Remember the engine refrences, it is very easy to goose it and have a VERY irrate passenger just as quick!

DAMHIK!! :lurk

???

I wouldn't know. I ride one-up 100% of the time.
If a passenger really likes to ride on a bike that badly, then he/she can get his/her own.
That way each person is responsible for their own enjoyment.
I had a passenger on a Goldwing quite a few years ago and despite all the tutelage about how to sit while on the pillion, she would always lean right while in a left and left while turning right. Needless to say, she rode on the back only twice; once going and once coming back.

If a passenger really likes to ride on a bike that badly, then he/she can get his/her own.

My wife rode on my bikes for ten years, her own for 12 and, due to arthritis, can no longer ride. She rides pillion.

You want to tell her to get her own? :bluduh

Pretty much the same here, only my wife had her bike before I had mine. Definitely agree with the backrest recommendation, she much appreciates it. And since she used to ride (and would if she could) she is an outstanding passenger nearly to the point of wanting me to hit the twisties as hard as when solo. If we don't scrape a peg, I'm not working hard enough....;)

That way each person is responsible for their own enjoyment.
I had a passenger on a Goldwing quite a few years ago and despite all the tutelage about how to sit while on the pillion, she would always lean right while in a left and left while turning right. Needless to say, she rode on the back only twice; once going and once coming back.

My wife was/is a perfect passanger, before and after her own bike.

Also from my perspective only 2 rides does not an accomplished passanger make - this is when they need the time to understand riding dynamics.

YMMV :lurk

My wife was/is a perfect passanger, before and after her own bike.

Also from my perspective only 2 rides does not an accomplished passanger make - this is when they need the time to understand riding dynamics.

YMMV :lurk

We enjoy riding together quite a bit. It's been a constant in our 30 year relationship. Riding together well takes more skill, more smoothness and more attention, but when you get it right, it's absolutely amazing.

Tina and I have been running a two up seminar at the last couple rallies and I hope folks have found it informative.

Our experience is on a K1300GT vs an R1150R, so it's a little off from what you are asking. But there is one big difference I didn't see mentioned above - the clutch!
I love being back on a wet clutch again. With two up on the R bike, a stop sign on an uphill grade was always annoying. Also, unimpressive starts when lights turned green, even on level ground.

Back