Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy a G450X

Would You Buy a G450X

I'm currently in the market for a 450cc Enduro style motorcycle (street legal with lights). I've ridden BMW motorcycles for over 300,000 miles and currently have three BMWs in the garage.

When the new G450X was introduced, I was highly encouraged. A 450cc motorcycle with the power and weight equal to the KTMs. My problem is the motor is made in Taiwan by Kymco. My previous experience with Kymco is cheap mopeds. They have no history of making quality motorcycles. Why should I buy a motorcycle with an untested motor made in Taiwan, when I can purchase a proven KTM with a motor made in Austria?

My BMW dealer has a G450X on the floor since last spring that they cannot sell. So, they are offering over $1000 off the base price --- about $7,000. Even with the discounted price, they can't sell it. I just can't get past the Taiwan motor. I will most likely purchase a KTM 450 EXC.
    Last edited by kenk; 12-11-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Check out advrider.com, there are some forums on the 450x there. Owners are positive about the bike and its mechanicals, some owners have over 120 hrs with no problems/teardowns. I didn't buy one because of the short service intervals, 70 hour rebuild, et. al. but I wish I had now. I bought a G650X instead, love it, wouldn't trade it but sure wish I had a 450. The engine is made by Kymco to BMW specs/design, it is then sent to BMW and assembled there. I have no problem with this, I think that this is the wave of the future due to cost. BMW engineers do the R&D and build the final product, 3rd party vendors make the parts. When you add in the success of the 450 in recent events I feel BMW has a winning platform here. Well, there is my 2 1/2 cents. CHeers.

Quote Originally Posted by azduc View Post
    I didn't buy one because of the short service intervals, 70 hour rebuild
    Geeze...that eliminates this bike from the selection list. This service interval sounds more like a chainsaw motor than motorcycle motor. Do you know the service rebuild hours for the KTM 450 EXC? I ride my GS with several KTM riders (450/520). The KTM 520 Exc rider has 12,000 miles on the bike with only normal maintenance.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224951

Tons of info here, real owners, not anecdotal.

If the 70 hour rebuild is correct (averaging 40 mph), you would be rebuilding every 2800 miles? Seventy hours is closer to oil change intervals, than rebuild.

Five days and no response? It obvious why my dealer has a G450X on the floor for almost a year. What was BMW thinking? A Kymco Taiwan motor that has to be rebuilt ever 70 hours (40 mph x 70 = 2800 miles).

Well, I'm looking elsewhere.

dhthorpe
    I thought the KTM 450 could not be purchased "street-legal" from the factory anymore. If you have to use an aftermarket kit to make it work, it is never quite like factory electrics. I know, I've done it three times. I've used Baja Designs as well as other brands. I had hoped the the BMW 450x would be the answer: a factory street legal bike that was light enough to use on trails.

Quote Originally Posted by kenk View Post
    Five days and no response? It obvious why my dealer has a G450X on the floor for almost a year. What was BMW thinking? A Kymco Taiwan motor that has to be rebuilt ever 70 hours (40 mph x 70 = 2800 miles).

Don't go off half cocked... the reason many of us didn't answer, is either we didn't know or are busy with the holidays. its very hard for me to believe that the engine would have to be rebuilt every 2800 miles. someone has got their wires crossed. I know nothing about this bike, but would think the Dealer could shed some light on the service intervals. good luck in finding the right bike for your needs. please let us know what you end up getting. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Hey Jim, you should enter that next year! wow...
    the swinging bridge is cool...but.....
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

JAMESDUNN
    That would be a "No" on a G450X purchase.

If someone were to buy my race prepped xchallenge, I would buy a nice new G450!!
    I think they rock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dhthorpe View Post
    I thought the KTM 450 could not be purchased "street-legal" from the factory anymore. If you have to use an aftermarket kit to make it work, it is never quite like factory electrics. I know, I've done it three times. I've used Baja Designs as well as other brands. I had hoped the the BMW 450x would be the answer: a factory street legal bike that was light enough to use on trails.
    The KTM EXCs are all street legal. After 2007, you can get the EXC from the factory with lights. Unlike the Japanese counterparts, EXCs are not stamped for off-road only. For bike made before 2007, you simply have to buy a light kit to license a street legal off-road racing capable dirtbike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...ion/index.html

Talking

The way i feel it don't matter who make's the parts for the bike but who's name is on the bike they designed it, they back it, and they ride it. for example your car you drive the parts were made in some other country they all might not be but somethings are just not made were you live that's the way life is now sorry to let you down. you have to understand thats how company's save money to build the things you ride/drive

If the 70 hour rebuild is correct (averaging 40 mph), you would be rebuilding every 2800 miles? Seventy hours is closer to oil change intervals, than rebuild.
    70 hrs is if you race the bike. That is a normal interval for the stress conditions you would put any MX bike under (Honda, Suzuki etc.).
    If you just ride it around, it's like any other service and teardown interval.
    RS Rennsport, Whiplash Motorsport Group
    AHRMA # 59R