• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Would You Buy a G450X

kenk

I'm currently in the market for a 450cc Enduro style motorcycle (street legal with lights). I've ridden BMW motorcycles for over 300,000 miles and currently have three BMWs in the garage.

When the new G450X was introduced, I was highly encouraged. A 450cc motorcycle with the power and weight equal to the KTMs. My problem is the motor is made in Taiwan by Kymco. My previous experience with Kymco is cheap mopeds. They have no history of making quality motorcycles. Why should I buy a motorcycle with an untested motor made in Taiwan, when I can purchase a proven KTM with a motor made in Austria?

My BMW dealer has a G450X on the floor since last spring that they cannot sell. So, they are offering over $1000 off the base price --- about $7,000. Even with the discounted price, they can't sell it. I just can't get past the Taiwan motor. I will most likely purchase a KTM 450 EXC.

Last edited:
Check out advrider.com, there are some forums on the 450x there. Owners are positive about the bike and its mechanicals, some owners have over 120 hrs with no problems/teardowns. I didn't buy one because of the short service intervals, 70 hour rebuild, et. al. but I wish I had now. I bought a G650X instead, love it, wouldn't trade it but sure wish I had a 450. The engine is made by Kymco to BMW specs/design, it is then sent to BMW and assembled there. I have no problem with this, I think that this is the wave of the future due to cost. BMW engineers do the R&D and build the final product, 3rd party vendors make the parts. When you add in the success of the 450 in recent events I feel BMW has a winning platform here. Well, there is my 2 1/2 cents. CHeers.

I didn't buy one because of the short service intervals, 70 hour rebuild

Geeze...that eliminates this bike from the selection list. This service interval sounds more like a chainsaw motor than motorcycle motor. Do you know the service rebuild hours for the KTM 450 EXC? I ride my GS with several KTM riders (450/520). The KTM 520 Exc rider has 12,000 miles on the bike with only normal maintenance.

If the 70 hour rebuild is correct (averaging 40 mph), you would be rebuilding every 2800 miles? Seventy hours is closer to oil change intervals, than rebuild.

Five days and no response? It obvious why my dealer has a G450X on the floor for almost a year. What was BMW thinking? A Kymco Taiwan motor that has to be rebuilt ever 70 hours (40 mph x 70 = 2800 miles).

Well, I'm looking elsewhere.

I thought the KTM 450 could not be purchased "street-legal" from the factory anymore. If you have to use an aftermarket kit to make it work, it is never quite like factory electrics. I know, I've done it three times. I've used Baja Designs as well as other brands. I had hoped the the BMW 450x would be the answer: a factory street legal bike that was light enough to use on trails.

Five days and no response? It obvious why my dealer has a G450X on the floor for almost a year. What was BMW thinking? A Kymco Taiwan motor that has to be rebuilt ever 70 hours (40 mph x 70 = 2800 miles).

Don't go off half cocked... the reason many of us didn't answer, is either we didn't know or are busy with the holidays. its very hard for me to believe that the engine would have to be rebuilt every 2800 miles. someone has got their wires crossed. I know nothing about this bike, but would think the Dealer could shed some light on the service intervals. good luck in finding the right bike for your needs. please let us know what you end up getting. Kenny...

If someone were to buy my race prepped xchallenge, I would buy a nice new G450!!:dance
I think they rock!!!!

I thought the KTM 450 could not be purchased "street-legal" from the factory anymore. If you have to use an aftermarket kit to make it work, it is never quite like factory electrics. I know, I've done it three times. I've used Baja Designs as well as other brands. I had hoped the the BMW 450x would be the answer: a factory street legal bike that was light enough to use on trails.

The KTM EXCs are all street legal. After 2007, you can get the EXC from the factory with lights. Unlike the Japanese counterparts, EXCs are not stamped for off-road only. For bike made before 2007, you simply have to buy a light kit to license a street legal off-road racing capable dirtbike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/di...2009_ktm_530_exc_champions_edition/index.html

The way i feel it don't matter who make's the parts for the bike but who's name is on the bike they designed it, they back it, and they ride it. for example your car you drive the parts were made in some other country they all might not be but somethings are just not made were you live that's the way life is now sorry to let you down. you have to understand thats how company's save money to build the things you ride/drive

If the 70 hour rebuild is correct (averaging 40 mph), you would be rebuilding every 2800 miles? Seventy hours is closer to oil change intervals, than rebuild.

70 hrs is if you race the bike. That is a normal interval for the stress conditions you would put any MX bike under (Honda, Suzuki etc.).
If you just ride it around, it's like any other service and teardown interval.

The KTM EXCs are all street legal. After 2007, you can get the EXC from the factory with lights. Unlike the Japanese counterparts, EXCs are not stamped for off-road only. For bike made before 2007, you simply have to buy a light kit to license a street legal off-road racing capable dirtbike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/di...2009_ktm_530_exc_champions_edition/index.html

How about a Husky?

Also depending on the state- the licensing of off road classified vehicles (to include motorcycles) varies. Quite a few KTMs were modified with lights but are not legal in this state.

In the past we would install lights and go to the State Patrol for an inspection to have it retitled as a street legal machine-but that is not possible anymore here-Darn. Also Washington State has been cracking down on ktm's that snuck through the system and have been revoking plates.

I got this from the Dept of Licensing:

No off-road classified vehicle can be altered to become street legal in Washington State.

A manufacturer must certify that the vehicle meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for street use in order for a vehicle to be licensed for street use in Washington State.

Therefore, no off-road classified vehicle will be reclassified as street legal or licensed for street use unless the manufacturer issues a new Statement of Origin (or something similar) stating the vehicle meets FMVSS for operation on public roadways.

Basically what Washington is saying is if it did not come from the factory certified as street legal and so equipped-then it ain't street legal and never will be == NICE.

Basically what Washington is saying is if it did not come from the factory certified as street legal and so equipped-then it ain't street legal and never will be == NICE.

Too many dune buggies, sand rails, and other such vehicles being driven out to, and tearing up the forest roads I would suspect. Leading to complaints, leading to thoughtful interpretation, leading to consequences. Whodathunk!

Too many dune buggies, sand rails, and other such vehicles being driven out to, and tearing up the forest roads I would suspect. Leading to complaints, leading to thoughtful interpretation, leading to consequences. Whodathunk!

Pardon - It seems that the question is to move from off road to legal on the highway: not how to move from the highway to off road use.

Post appears as a general swipe against off roaders, most of us play by the rules.
In your words - Whodathunk

Bokrijder

Future Husky

BMW Purchased Husqvarna and that's where the discontinued 450 bike / motor is going. I was told by the dealer that motor will be used in the new Husqvarna bikes and that model is discontinued by BMW.

I can tell you BMW buying Husqvarna is the best thing that has happened to them in years. Once a powerhouse Husqvarna is not very well received now due to thier awful parts and dealer support. You cannot even buy parts at all for the older bikes.

I would never buy the 450 unless I had some long term support commitment to parts and support. Due to the bike being discontinued that red flag would send me elsewhere. I would say the KTM is very hard to beat.

BMW Purchased Husqvarna and that's where the discontinued 450 bike / motor is going. I was told by the dealer that motor will be used in the new Husqvarna bikes and that model is discontinued by BMW.

I can tell you BMW buying Husqvarna is the best thing that has happened to them in years. Once a powerhouse Husqvarna is not very well received now due to thier awful parts and dealer support. You cannot even buy parts at all for the older bikes.

I would never buy the 450 unless I had some long term support commitment to parts and support. Due to the bike being discontinued that red flag would send me elsewhere. I would say the KTM is very hard to beat.

:scratch

Are you certain BMW is discontinuing the G 450 X? Yes they have moved the racing support to Husky and Husky is sharing the engine; however, I am not aware that they are discontinuing it form their line up.

Back