Thread: I like the name camhead

Smile I like the name camhead

Not sure if its official, but I like the name camhead.
    max

It's as official as can be.. thanks to SemperFi.. If and when the bikes become different enough from Hexheads we'll consider splitting off another forum for them, but for now - they happily can reside right here.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I like it, too!
    Not that it matters.

I dunno... the old bikes had cams in the heads, too. OverHeads would be more accurate.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by antonlargiader View Post
    i dunno... The old bikes had cams in the heads, too. Overheads would be more accurate.
    +1
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R, now gone

Lets see, we got airheads, camheads, hexheads chromeheads & oilheads.
    Harley has panheads, flatheads, knuckleheads, shovelheads, & the F-head.

Looks like us gearheads put lots of value on portraying a machine by it's head.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    Lets see, we got airheads, camheads, hexheads chromeheads & oilheads.
    Harley has panheads, flatheads, knuckleheads, shovelheads, & the F-head.

Looks like us gearheads put lots of value on portraying a machine by it's head.
    It's where the whirly bits are.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Camshead?

Very good and simple too. Its not very separate from the Hexhead though as they both have a cam(s), but still very good. Hexhead from the shape of the cover and the Camhead has been born with the addition of another cam. How about Camshead, for the dual cams? 5 quarts of oil in that thing too, anybody? Probably needs it, with all that moving stuff in the top end. Randy

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I don't agree with changing a name when there are minor changes to a bike. I think there should be name changes only when there are revolutionary changes and not evolutionary changes. I think Airheads, Oilheads and Bricks were appropriate name changes because they were totally different bikes in that they had different cooling and fuel delivery systems. A Hexhead and Camhead is simply an evolution of the oilhead and they should be simply an oilhead. With the current trend to rename a model for minor changes, how many different names would an Airhead have had in it's 70+ years of manufacture? We would have had changes when it went to an overhead valve, fork changes, electric start, 12 volts, monoshock and more than were far more significate than a simple head change that gives us the new Camhead.

For shaft driven bikes, I would only have Airheads, Oilheads, Flying Bricks and Wedges. When you try to explain the differences between an oilhead, hexhead and camhead to someone not familiar with BMWs, they will look at you in total confusion. I think they will all just be oilheads in 25 years.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Good point;

Probably right. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think they will all just be oilheads in 25 years.
    +1
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I don't agree with changing a name when there are minor changes to a bike. I think there should be name changes only when there are revolutionary changes and not evolutionary changes. I think Airheads, Oilheads and Bricks were appropriate name changes because they were totally different bikes in that they had different cooling and fuel delivery systems. A Hexhead and Camhead is simply an evolution of the oilhead and they should be simply an oilhead. With the current trend to rename a model for minor changes, how many different names would an Airhead have had in it's 70+ years of manufacture? We would have had changes when it went to an overhead valve, fork changes, electric start, 12 volts, monoshock and more than were far more significate than a simple head change that gives us the new Camhead.

For shaft driven bikes, I would only have Airheads, Oilheads, Flying Bricks and Wedges. When you try to explain the differences between an oilhead, hexhead and camhead to someone not familiar with BMWs, they will look at you in total confusion. I think they will all just be oilheads in 25 years.

You have a point, but when people start asking questions on a forum like this it is important to identify the bike. An R1200 is not an R1200! Your cruiser R1200 Oilhead is not the same as the R1200 Hexhead, and the R1200 4-Cam is not the same as either of them.

I like the new name myself!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Just a few thoughts (in sorta moderator mode):

Name? Well - there was a well publicized contest (complete with swag) that was open for about a month to come up with the name. The chosen name was the one that overwhelmingly was chosen by the people participating in the contest. It wasn't an arbitrary decision by the moderators or staff of the forum, it was in response to input received from members. And I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

Different forum? You'll notice that this isn't a new forum. It's simply a new name for the Hexhead forum to be inclusive of the new head design. That will hopefully encourage participation by people who buy the new bikes, and in the future make it a bit easier to locate tech info on them.

Right now - the primary difference between hexheads and camheads IS the heads. The basic engine block design is the same, as is the other running gear.

The difference between an oilhead and hexhead is significant enough (new engine, new electronics, new instruments, new frame, new suspension, new transmission, new rear-drive, new everything really..) to justify a separate forum for hexheads. There are very few interchangeable parts between oilheads and hexheads.

The subject of a different forum vs different name for this forum was a rather hotly debated topic in the moderator forum. The result is - I think you'll see this forum remain for both until such time as there is a significant enough difference in the bikes (as there was with oilheads/hexheads) to justify a separate camhead forum.

Just a FWIW - the decision wasn't done off-hand or without extensive discussion both here in the public forum, and in the moderator forum. While you may not agree with the decision but be assured your input is always welcome and given consideration.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

EXCELLENT Don - very well said!

You hit every major point precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Just a few thoughts (in sorta moderator mode):

Name? Well - there was a well publicized contest (complete with swag) that was open for about a month to come up with the name. The chosen name was the one that overwhelmingly was chosen by the people participating in the contest. It wasn't an arbitrary decision by the moderators or staff of the forum, it was in response to input received from members. And I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

Different forum? You'll notice that this isn't a new forum. It's simply a new name for the Hexhead forum to be inclusive of the new head design. That will hopefully encourage participation by people who buy the new bikes, and in the future make it a bit easier to locate tech info on them.

Right now - the primary difference between hexheads and camheads IS the heads. The basic engine block design is the same, as is the other running gear.

The difference between an oilhead and hexhead is significant enough (new engine, new electronics, new instruments, new frame, new suspension, new transmission, new rear-drive, new everything really..) to justify a separate forum for hexheads. There are very few interchangeable parts between oilheads and hexheads.

The subject of a different forum vs different name for this forum was a rather hotly debated topic in the moderator forum. The result is - I think you'll see this forum remain for both until such time as there is a significant enough difference in the bikes (as there was with oilheads/hexheads) to justify a separate camhead forum.

Just a FWIW - the decision wasn't done off-hand or without extensive discussion both here in the public forum, and in the moderator forum. While you may not agree with the decision but be assured your input is always welcome and given consideration.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator