• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter riders - Helmets....

xp8103

So, those brave souls for whom the storms in the upper mid-west and northeast are a mere hinderance, how do you keep a) your nose warm and b) your face shield clear?

Visor

I have no advice for keeping your nose warm but this will keep your visor fog free:
http://www.pinlockusa.net/

If your visor is freezing up it is probably time to pull over anyway;)

Last edited:
There used to be a product called throat coat that attached to the bottom of your (full face) helmet. you tucked the bottom of it into your jacket. I haven't seen one in years. If anyone knows where one can be found, I sure would like another one.

won't work. it covers your head, so your Helmet won't fit correctly.

The very thin, high-tech fabric balaclavas designed for cyclists work quite well without creating a fit issue. In fact, I find that I need to cinch my chin strap a bit more when it gets cold enough to put on my Pearl Izumi balaclava, i.e., teens.

Just remember to wear them with the seams facing out if you don't want to have that scar-face look after getting to your destination.

cw309b01blk.jpg

I take my watch cap and tuck the bottom under the cheek pads of my helmet and zip the suit over the top. No need to carry another piece of clothing to keep up with. I don't have a fogging problem with the Caberg.

Tom

I use one of these:
Triumph sport buff

It's good until about 35-40F (note- I have a 3/4 face helmet, not a full one). Keeps my nose/cheeks warm, and my visor doesn't fog up unless I'm stopped. It's nice because it's microfiber, so it fits under the helmet well, and doesn't get stank-nasty smelling from the condensation.

won't work. it covers your head, so your Helmet won't fit correctly.

TandemGeek already covered it, but the "right" balaclava will work just fine under a helmet. The folks who make them for snow mobile riders have figured this out.

John

I bought one of these gaiter/scarves at REI several years ago. The inside part that touches your skin is fleece so its nice and soft, and the outside around the nose and mouth vents is some wind repellent material. It attaches in the back with velcro. While the mouth and nose vents work well, I usually just fold the mouth/nose part down and wear it as a scarf or neck gaitor. Since it doesn't cover your whole head there is no helmet sizing issue. Also, it packs very small taking up no more room than my Held Steve gloves. Well worth $25 price tag, IMHO. Here's the LINK to REI's page.

e2546d5d-b4c9-4291-ae7f-61ce2a011392.jpg

I also use a balaclava, and in extreme cold switch to my HJC CL-14 with a snowmobile face shield. I know it isn't DOT approved (the face shield, the helmet is) but it doesn't fog. Seems safer than a single layer shield that fogs.............

I bought one of these gaiter/scarves at REI several years ago. The inside part that touches your skin is fleece so its nice and soft, and the outside around the nose and mouth vents is some wind repellent material. It attaches in the back with velcro. While the mouth and nose vents work well, I usually just fold the mouth/nose part down and wear it as a scarf or neck gaitor. Since it doesn't cover your whole head there is no helmet sizing issue. Also, it packs very small taking up no more room than my Held Steve gloves. Well worth $25 price tag, IMHO. Here's the LINK to REI's page.

e2546d5d-b4c9-4291-ae7f-61ce2a011392.jpg

+1 :thumb

Back