• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warranty Help

ihint

A unique situation.

After 35 days of the road I noticed some dirt collecting near the rear of my gearbox. Upon further examination it appeared as if I had a small transmission fluid leak.

So I stopped at South Sound BMW of Tacoma WA to see. Someone from service confirmed that the gearbox output seal was leaking oil and told me to wipe it clean and then ride a few hundred miles to see how bad it was leaking. He said service under warranty could be performed at any BMW dealership along my journey.

Three days later my motorcycle was stolen in Eugene Oregon on Oct 6th 2009.

On November 3 they found the bike with minimal damage of only a few wires cut behind the steering column (see picture).

So here's the dilemna. My warranty is up in February of 2010 and the dealership won't acknowledge the gearbox output seal failure without visible oil. Since I gave it a thorough wipe after visiting South Sound and then being stolen the bike didn't get the miles on to see how severe the leak is. Now with these wires cut the bike cannot be driven.

I plan on getting the bike in to fix the wires in the next few weeks, but will not be able to put adequate miles before warranty expires in February of 2010. I live in WI and will not and/or may not be able to put on a few hundred miles in January to determine the damage.

The bike was out of my possession for almost two months and this was something I planned on fixing on the road well within my warranty period.

Any suggestions? Do you think BMW Motorrad would extend my warranty for the gearbox output seal if they heard my situation? Is it worth trying?

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 121
Can you get anything (in writing) in your customer file from South Sound associated to the oil residue seen at the time you brought your bike in - which is before the warranty ran out, if so that could be carried over post-warranty.

Good luck and glad you got your bike back :thumb

Can you get anything (in writing) in your customer file from South Sound associated to the oil residue seen at the time you brought your bike in - which is before the warranty ran out, if so that could be carried over post-warranty.

I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can jog their memory from a few months ago.

Back