• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

List of Unique Cafes &/or Restaurants

H

h2000fb

I am trying to compile a list of small town restaurants, cafes, diners, and dives around the country so when people head out on an adventure they will have one nice easy-to-find location suggesting interesting places to eat along the way. These would be establishments that are unique, offer something different in either atmosphere for food, and no franchises. The list would be arranged by State, then by City, then by eatery.

I have a good list started now, but have seen others. Can anyone help locate other lists that might be incorporated/compiled.

Once I get this posted and linked, my idea is for people to us it, offer location suggestions, and offer updates on existing cafes on the list. Any help on locating existing listes would be greatly appreciated!

:coffee:lurk:ear

Roswitha's Schnitzelbank is located six miles north of the intersection of highways 171 and 43 just North of Joplin, MO

Excellent Food! Good time...

When you get your list up, be sure to post the link! I think this is a great idea!

Tracy, the link to ROADFOOD is no longer active.

FREDA MAEÔÇÖS ÔÇô PIERCE CITY, MO at 101 E. Commercial St. in Historic Downtown Pierce City. 417-476-5717. Serving breakfast to include homemade bread, buttermilk biscuits & sausage gravy. Lunch with one of our eight appetizers. Tantalizing pastas, hot or cold sandwiches, salads, soups & homemade pies by the slice or buy the whole pie for around $9.99. Open Sun 9 a.m. ÔÇô 2 p.m.; Mon 7 a.m. ÔÇô 4 p.m.; Tues ÔÇô Sat 7 a.m. ÔÇô 11 p.m. $

Tracy, the link to ROADFOOD is no longer active.

FREDA MAEÔÇÖS ÔÇô PIERCE CITY, MO at 101 E. Commercial St. in Historic Downtown Pierce City. 417-476-5717. Serving breakfast to include homemade bread, buttermilk biscuits & sausage gravy. Lunch with one of our eight appetizers. Tantalizing pastas, hot or cold sandwiches, salads, soups & homemade pies by the slice or buy the whole pie for around $9.99. Open Sun 9 a.m. ÔÇô 2 p.m.; Mon 7 a.m. ÔÇô 4 p.m.; Tues ÔÇô Sat 7 a.m. ÔÇô 11 p.m. $

It's not that it's no longer active, it's that the link has too many http's in it:
Road Food.

My intention is to do this by state with cities in alphabetical order. Something easy to copy and print sections if neccessary in an Excel type format. I already have a very strong list for Texas, some Louisiana, Arkansas, N.M, CO, OK. but gets weak the more out of Texas I get.

An Example of the format I am considering.

TEXAS:
La Belle - Pine Tree Lodge - 3296 Pinetree Rd - Burgers, Shrimp, Cajun - Canjun bands!
Lampasas - Yumm Factory Caf?® - 1902 S. Key Ave - All you can eat Catfish, great food, pies! - closed Sundays
Leakey - Leakey Feed Lot - 547 US 83 South. - Chicken Fried Bacon? Yes! - closed Monday
Lincoln - Elm Creek Caf?® - 33 Texas hwy 21 W. - Burgers - closed Monday
Llivingston - Florida's Kitchen - 796 FM 350 South -Closed Tues Wed.
Llano - Coopers BBQ - 604 W. Young (Hwy 71) - Tremendous selection of meats Super tender brisket

My thoughts on this list are:
- a web address for the list is easy enough to find and remember,
- a list you can easily scroll to your areas of interest without a lot of searching for just one town,
- easy for you to print the list of a state or just cut/paste a list of cafe's along your route,
- a place where people can email additions/corrections

... a list like that might be more useful?
The lists I tend to see are more spotty (but they all are at first), contain mostly large towns and are harder to use then just scrolling down a list of states clicking and copy off areas of interest. I like to take these as an addition to my maps. What do you think?

Medix Run Hotel

Intersection of PA Rt. 555 and the Quehanna Hwy. A friendly burger and beer joint in the middle of darn near no where. Go East on 555 and follow the West Branch of the Susquehanna River to Lock Haven, PA and I-80. Or, head south on the Quehanna Highway and ride the top of the Allegheny Plateau until intersecting PA 144 and later I-80 near Bellefonte/Milesburg.

Here's some of my favorites.
"The Feed Trough" on Highway 50 just west of Gunnison, Colorado.
" The Hungry Logger" on Highway 160 near Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado.
"Patio Pancake" Salida Colorado, Highway 50 east of town.
"Michaels' Kitchen", Taos, N.M.

In Yale Kansas, about 15 miles north of Pittsburg Kansas, are 2 iconic Fried Chicken restaurants, Famous all over the country. Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's. You got to get the German slaw and German potato salad. There are Chicken Annie's people, like my family, and Chicken Marys people, (usually dull unenlightened Harley riders :nyah)..Really, the only real difference is Chicken Mary's has spaghetti. And very inexpensive too. Hummm, next good riding weather, I am thinking ride to eat trip. Watch for deer.

Edit

Chicken Annie's Original 1143 East 600th Avenue, Pittsburg, KS‎ - (620) 231-9460‎ German chicken, german slaw, german potatoes, for over 100 years now, in the middle of nowhere

Rod

Last edited:
Best BBQ on the Planet

Arthur Bryant's BBQ 18th and Brooklyn Kansas City, Mo.

Just a few blocks south of I-70 southeast of downtown Kansas City.
Eastbound on I-70 take the Brooklyn exit. Westbound on I-70 take the Prospect Exit, go south to 18th, then west a couple of blocks.
Aromatic heaps of smoked meats served on white bread with a "one-of-a-kind" sauce. Potato fries served with "skins on" fried in lard.
This is the "gold standard" against which other BBQ joints should be measured.
Other BBQ "restaurants" have their fans, and deservedly so. I enjoy other restaurants, too. But....If you want real back to the roots BBQ dining ....this is it.

PS: there is good dining at the Arthur Bryants near the Kansas Speedway, but it totally lacks the ambience of the original location.

Jim 'n Nick's Birmingham, Al

To supplement my previous BBQ recommendation, I have to give a shout out for Jim 'n Nicks BBQ restaurants in Birmingam, Alabama. Possibly the home of THE BEST pulled pork in the USA.
Anyone else dispute this nomination?

bar-be-que

Any dive in Texas serves good bar-be-que-the older the shack is means it is really good. German and Bohemian dives are really good, they are found in central Texas and on the coast. Texans heard a rumor that some people call pig a bar-be-que,say it ain,t so.

Try the Earth Dog Cafe on Rt 522 in Berkley Springs West Virginia. Friendly owners and staff and good food.
regards,
Mark

Try "The Shack by The Track" in St George, GA. The "small" sandwich must have 3/4lb
of pulled pork on the bun. I've not tried the large as I might have to reset the rear shock on my CLC. Ride Safe :usa :usa

About 50 miles east of El Paso, TX on hwy 62/180 (the Carlsbad hwy) there is a wide spot in the road called Cornudas. There is a small cafe run by May Carlson. May owns Cornudas, so she has been called Mayor May. She makes excellent hamburgers called, appropriately enough, "Cornudas Burgers". It's worth the trouble to go there. Don't go in with an Attitude; you'll meet your match with May. Closed Tuesdays.

When in Montr?®al...

Three 'must eat at' places when in Montr?®al...

Schwartz's Deli...on St-Laurent blvd...best smoked meat in the world...'50s decore...asked for medium meat...http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

Restaurant Hong Kong...St-Laurent blvd...2nd best General Tao chiken in the world...only Mrs Tao makes it better

Bar-B-Barn...awesome ribs...Fred Flintstone style...Guy st (downtown) and Blvd Des Sources (west end)...http://www.barbbarn.ca/

Mmmmm...I'm hungry....

Denis

In Delaware: St. Georges Country Store in St. Georges on the north side of the canal. It's nothing fancy and meant to be that way. The bar was built out of the old country store's shelves. The owner is a unique fellow who learned to cook cajun food when he was in the Merchant Marines and stationed in LA. Don't expect to be served in record time like you were at an Appleby's. Everything is prepped and cooked to order. And lemme tell ya...it's worth the wait!

St. Georges Country Store

Back