• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'94 R1100RS Clutch replacement

1996 Gs with less than 30K miles is slipping - advice

I am the second owner of this 96 gs with rather low mileage that is just starting to slip in 4-5 gear if I push it. The local shop suggests this might be due to a seal leaking. I am planning to do the job myself, so, where is the best place for parts? What parts do you think I will need? My first clutch job. Help!

I have a good lift to work from, but would I be better off on the floor with a floor jack under the tranny? All advice would be appreciated. Also, I would like to borrow those pins, Dave, if they have been returned.

I am the second owner of this 96 gs with rather low mileage that is just starting to slip in 4-5 gear if I push it. The local shop suggests this might be due to a seal leaking. I am planning to do the job myself, so, where is the best place for parts? What parts do you think I will need? My first clutch job. Help!

I have a good lift to work from, but would I be better off on the floor with a floor jack under the tranny? All advice would be appreciated. Also, I would like to borrow those pins, Dave, if they have been returned.

Working on a lift is fine. No need for a jack if you seperate the FD and swingarm from the transmission. If you remove it all together, it can be pretty akward and heavy to handle, and a jack might help. Seprating the components is not a bad idea anyway as it gives you the opportunity to inspect and lubricate the pivot bearings and the drive shaft splines.

clutch

PM sent.
Good advice.
I had to replace one of the rear pivot bearings and later learned about Tom Cutter's bushings in one of Paul Glaves' postings. That's for sure the way to go. You'll need a 30mm socket for the nuts on the pivot screws. Tom also has the Honda Moly 60 paste you'll need for lubing the splines and the contact points on the clutch kit.(sparingly) I also made a rather crude but very effective bearing puller that I'll send to you if you need it.
Lee

clutch

Jim ,
Here is a link to a discussion that you might read before you disassemble the drive shaft prior to removing the transmission.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=41725

Also, I replaced both input and output shaft seals in the tranny since I was in there. And if you're having difficulty with the neutral switch, it is a good time to replace it.
Lee

I can speak from direct experience with having done the clutch three times myself on my 94 R1100RS. The first time was because the rear main seal had failed and oiled the friction plate by 60,000 miles. So I only replaced the friction plate to save some bucks. BUT! At about 100,000 miles the clutch started slipping again. So I took it apart again, and again replaced the friction plate because I thought the flywheel and pressure plates looked good yet.

Well, only 20,000 miles later I had a slipping clutch when hard on the throttle again. So I took it apart again, and I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure out then why a new friction plate would not solve my slipping issues. In fact I could not even get the clutch to work right by simply replacing the friction disc again. That is, until the dealer and I finally figured out the extremely shallow "cone type" wear pattern on the flywheel and pressure plate, which resulted in only a 1/4" edge of contact on the friction plate.

So I finally ponied up the bucks for the complete clutch kit, $375 I think it was (after I had already spent the $125 for the friction plate), and put it back together and everyhting worked perfectly, as it has now for another 23,000 miles with no problems at all. So, when it comes time to replace the clutch, don't go cheap like I tried with only the friction plate. Get the complete clutch kit and do it right, once.

Back