• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going to look at a '01 r11rt Saturday. Comments please

yes according to internet specs 1:2.91 ending ratio for both 5 and 6 Speed. So....you get to shift more with a 6 sp.

worms... can... open.............................

I would prefer a three speed if it were possible...

Thanks everyone.

My K75 has taken me an "indicated 90mph" and that was plenty fast enough.

I'll need to look at his receipt/work order from the shop that did these repairs/updates. It is an interesting story.

I can do a few things myself. For the tech stuff, I have Matt the German guy in Long Beach available. He made my K75S a sweet machine.

Another thing that is interesting in this offering, the owner has given the bike to his son to sell. Whenever I asked him a question, he held the phone away and talked to dad for answers stating,"I really don't know much about this bike, I'm selling it for my dad."

A bit odd. It still may be worth the ride to see it. And he seemed very interested to "make the price right". We'll see.

01 r11rt

A few weeks ago my wife and I were looking for a new bike for her. I found a 2008 R1200R on Craigslist so I called the guy up and when I showed up to look at the bike it was at a place called "The Chop Shop" so I was a bit worried.

The bike looked OK on the surface and the owner of the shop let us take the bike for an afternoon test drive. When completed we asked about any damage and he revealed that yes, the bike had sustained some front end damage but he had replaced any damaged parts etc.

We were skeptical so we asked that he deliver the bike to the BMW dealer a block away for an inspection. He agreed to deliver the bike that day. When we showed up at the BMW dealership the next day the service manager stated empathically that we should not purchase the bike. It had bent front forks, warped front disk brake and it looked like it had gone end over end. The manager even refused to take any money from us. Kewl

Anyway, the point of the story is buyer beware and if you have doubts take it to your local dealer and have them check it out. The hundred bucks might save you a lot in the long run.

Good luck, I hope it goes well
cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

I wish I hadn't sold my '97 11RT, but just bought a 2000RT . I loved the bike when I lived in So Cal. Good protection, but not too, too hot because the fairing doesn't catch and direct the engine heat at the rider. I've noticed a little of the famous "surging" in 2nd gear w both bikes and sort of said, "so what?" Drive a little faster, or a little slower, or upshift. It'll run just fine at that speed in 3rd and still have plenty of accelleration from there. There's also a couple threads in this forum about removing the cat code plug (The pink one in the fuse box under the seat) to get rid of the ''problem." A particularly thorough tune-up also seems to help. And there's the Techlusion thing that many guys like.
Mostly, I love the machine. It's fun to ride, fast, comfortable, great looking. There are some neat farkles, bolt-ons, bells and whistles to add to your particular tastes.
I don't think the $ is out of the ballpark. I got mine for less, but it was used at a dealership that had recently sold the business to someone else. I think they wanted it off the floor. But i got the benefit of their techs inspecting the machine, replacing fluids tires and a battery. You might bargain a bit if that's your style.
Good luck.

unfortunately the neat farkles are are slowly disappearing from vendors as the bikes age.
Like one company stopped making a great cargo rack for the 2000RT. Too old and not enough sales anymore.

Seems like they re all concentrating on the 12 GS, 1150's & 12 RT.

I wanted to get the switch outable side box hinge kit but the guy stopped making them.

Update on ''01 1100rt

OK. Still have not seen the bike but talked with the owner for quite a while.
71 year old guy, dirt bike experience that always wanted a BMW and its great engineering. Found this 1100rt at a dealer, paid $5000. for it and took it to Dave Campbell in San Diego for thorough check up and service update. Cam chain tensioner, replace shocks, fluid changes, battery, clutch cable, new seals, oil/filter changes and inspection. About 2000. He liked the ride but his son rides a Harley so he bought one of those as well, 08 Electra Glide Classic.

BMW now for sale at 5600 with 39k miles listed on his ad but actually 44k on the clock. He can't explain why son said 39K.

He says it will need a rear tire in about 2000 miles.

Plastic is clean with usual small nicks for its age. All in all it sounds pretty decent.

Thanks for all input.

Brad

Hmm I might be going soft but I would tend to trust a 71 year old. Sounds like the bike has been gone through. Yeah I might go for it!

Brad:

Don't worry about not having the sixth gear; there's a 1000 rpm split between it and 5th, so you can't really use it below 80 mph. And the power difference between the 1100 and the 1150 is negligible.

JMO, but the price is a bit high.

Last edited:
Definitely a nice sounding guy. I'll be calling him back to make appt to see. I spoke with Dave Campbell in San Diego. He says bike is OK, at least as good as he can remember. Maybe run it down to him and let a tech ride it for final approval?

On the surging issue...met a guy the other day that corrected his surge with a Champion single electrode spark plug. His thought was the multi electrode BMW plug (?) might be the culprit.

Thanks for the input. Stay tuned for updates!:)

I use Autolite 3923's. Copper. Big difference. There are other "fixes" out there but, what has been done in this regard to date? As I stated earlier I think the so called surge is overstated. When the game is on and you're gassin' it no problemo; it's an in town low speed concern.

Purchased my Opel Blue 01 1100RT about four years back with 9k miles. It now has 56K trouble free miles. It's been all over the country, the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, and three MOA rallies. On most long trips, I travel two up with filled luggage bags. The first thing I added was a Techlusion to eliminate all surging and add a little power. It's a fast, smooth, great looking bike that is easy to maintain. I highly commend it and have no intentions of selling mine.

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to see bike, once the rain here stops, and take a bag full on money and make a deal. It sounds like this may be the one!:wave

Brad

Another thing that is interesting in this offering, the owner has given the bike to his son to sell. Whenever I asked him a question, he held the phone away and talked to dad for answers stating,"I really don't know much about this bike, I'm selling it for my dad."

QUOTE]

When ever I hear those words I get very scared. Typically it is a ploy used by someone who knows their is something wrong and is uncomfortable lying about it so they get someone in their family or a friend to sell it who knows nothing about it. That way the person only has to say "I don't know". I have found people who seemed very honest using this ploy. I'd be very careful.

QUOTE]

When ever I hear those words I get very scared. Typically it is a ploy used by someone who knows their is something wrong and is uncomfortable lying about it so they get someone in their family or a friend to sell it who knows nothing about it. That way the person only has to say "I don't know". I have found people who seemed very honest using this ploy. I'd be very careful.

Valid point. I think I have overcome that. Spent 1 hour with dad on the phone. He sounds legit. Bought the BMW, took it to shop and spent a ton of money updating services etc. I spoke with the shop owner and he confirmed money spent was updating services, shocks, clutch cable and others, that the bike was a good one. From what he can remember he thought the bike was ok.
Dad explained the switch to Harley. But if we get down there and its not what it should be, I walk! There are plenty more where that one came from. Shoot, I may get a Harley instead! We'll know tomorrow.

Brad

I love the hunting part of finding a bike. You just have to trust your instincts and don't get too excited. Isn't it amazing how you can talk up a bike before you even see it. We are so ready to find the "great deal". There is always the tendency to jump at the first thing that comes along. Sounds like you have your wits about you. Good luck. Keep your powder dry.

Doug

R1100Rt

Yeah, this saga is getting drawn out.

Saw bike today.

A bit rough around the edges.

Will look around a bit more.

Brad

Jeez....after all that discussion and it was "rough around the edges". Feels more like coitus interuptus to all us thread watchers. :scratch

Next time, start the thread after you've seen the bike that way you can let us down easy.:laugh

cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

Back