Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a '01 r11rt Saturday. Comments please

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    Do yourself a favor.
    There must be several BMW dealerships in Southern California that you could take the bike for an inspection. I am sure people from some of the local clubs could refer you to a reputable place. Let a seasoned tech ride the machine. Have them check the fluids, brake pads, final drive for wobble, and so on.
    Unless you are a wrench yourself, you can amortize the costs over the time you have the bike.

I bought a used 2001 R1100RL, and I had had two different techs ride the bike after I rode the bike. They loved it.

On the other hand, I had an offer on a R850R, and the dealership found a final drive issue that I and the current owner did not. The owner fixed the bike and kept it.

I do, however, agree with other posts in looking at R1150RT's and R12RT's.
    The sixth gear is nice. But then again, how fast do you ride anyway?
    weeellll..... I chicken out at 110.........bikes good fer 123
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

cbck1200s

01 r11rt

Quote Originally Posted by jeremell View Post
    I recommend test driving an 1150RT first. You'll appreciate the better power and the six speed.
    I agree...that 6th gear is worth every penny. I wouldn't buy a bike without one. I've test driven a R1150R and the gearing is smooth and has a great feel to it. My K1200S and my wife's F800ST both have 6 speeds and it's incredible. Zoom Zoom

cbcK1200S
    Colin

jingdog
    These six speed transmissions...is the numerical ratio of the top gear the same as the top gear in a five speed tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by jingdog View Post
    These six speed transmissions...is the numerical ratio of the top gear the same as the top gear in a five speed tranny?
    yes according to internet specs 1:2.91 ending ratio for both 5 and 6 Speed. So....you get to shift more with a 6 sp.

worms... can... open.............................
    R and R

Talking boxwrench

I chickened out at 96mph.
    The bike was fine, my mind was not.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

those speedos are optimistic. you probably only had about 85-90, at best.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

jingdog
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonr View Post
    yes according to internet specs 1:2.91 ending ratio for both 5 and 6 Speed. So....you get to shift more with a 6 sp.

worms... can... open.............................

I would prefer a three speed if it were possible...

Cool

Thanks everyone.

My K75 has taken me an "indicated 90mph" and that was plenty fast enough.

I'll need to look at his receipt/work order from the shop that did these repairs/updates. It is an interesting story.

I can do a few things myself. For the tech stuff, I have Matt the German guy in Long Beach available. He made my K75S a sweet machine.

Another thing that is interesting in this offering, the owner has given the bike to his son to sell. Whenever I asked him a question, he held the phone away and talked to dad for answers stating,"I really don't know much about this bike, I'm selling it for my dad."

A bit odd. It still may be worth the ride to see it. And he seemed very interested to "make the price right". We'll see.
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    '80 1980 R65 Bronco brown sold
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue sold
    '17 1200RTW Alpine White

cbck1200s

01 r11rt

A few weeks ago my wife and I were looking for a new bike for her. I found a 2008 R1200R on Craigslist so I called the guy up and when I showed up to look at the bike it was at a place called "The Chop Shop" so I was a bit worried.

The bike looked OK on the surface and the owner of the shop let us take the bike for an afternoon test drive. When completed we asked about any damage and he revealed that yes, the bike had sustained some front end damage but he had replaced any damaged parts etc.

We were skeptical so we asked that he deliver the bike to the BMW dealer a block away for an inspection. He agreed to deliver the bike that day. When we showed up at the BMW dealership the next day the service manager stated empathically that we should not purchase the bike. It had bent front forks, warped front disk brake and it looked like it had gone end over end. The manager even refused to take any money from us. Kewl

Anyway, the point of the story is buyer beware and if you have doubts take it to your local dealer and have them check it out. The hundred bucks might save you a lot in the long run.

Good luck, I hope it goes well
    cbcK1200S - Colin

Thumbs up

I wish I hadn't sold my '97 11RT, but just bought a 2000RT . I loved the bike when I lived in So Cal. Good protection, but not too, too hot because the fairing doesn't catch and direct the engine heat at the rider. I've noticed a little of the famous "surging" in 2nd gear w both bikes and sort of said, "so what?" Drive a little faster, or a little slower, or upshift. It'll run just fine at that speed in 3rd and still have plenty of accelleration from there. There's also a couple threads in this forum about removing the cat code plug (The pink one in the fuse box under the seat) to get rid of the ''problem." A particularly thorough tune-up also seems to help. And there's the Techlusion thing that many guys like.
    Mostly, I love the machine. It's fun to ride, fast, comfortable, great looking. There are some neat farkles, bolt-ons, bells and whistles to add to your particular tastes.
    I don't think the $ is out of the ballpark. I got mine for less, but it was used at a dealership that had recently sold the business to someone else. I think they wanted it off the floor. But i got the benefit of their techs inspecting the machine, replacing fluids tires and a battery. You might bargain a bit if that's your style.
    Good luck.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

unfortunately the neat farkles are are slowly disappearing from vendors as the bikes age.
    Like one company stopped making a great cargo rack for the 2000RT. Too old and not enough sales anymore.

Seems like they re all concentrating on the 12 GS, 1150's & 12 RT.

I wanted to get the switch outable side box hinge kit but the guy stopped making them.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

Check the rear brake to see if he has been "Harleying" it

Cool Update on ''01 1100rt

OK. Still have not seen the bike but talked with the owner for quite a while.
    71 year old guy, dirt bike experience that always wanted a BMW and its great engineering. Found this 1100rt at a dealer, paid $5000. for it and took it to Dave Campbell in San Diego for thorough check up and service update. Cam chain tensioner, replace shocks, fluid changes, battery, clutch cable, new seals, oil/filter changes and inspection. About 2000. He liked the ride but his son rides a Harley so he bought one of those as well, 08 Electra Glide Classic.

BMW now for sale at 5600 with 39k miles listed on his ad but actually 44k on the clock. He can't explain why son said 39K.

He says it will need a rear tire in about 2000 miles.

Plastic is clean with usual small nicks for its age. All in all it sounds pretty decent.

Thanks for all input.

Brad
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    '80 1980 R65 Bronco brown sold
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue sold
    '17 1200RTW Alpine White

jingdog
    Hmm I might be going soft but I would tend to trust a 71 year old. Sounds like the bike has been gone through. Yeah I might go for it!

Brad:

Don't worry about not having the sixth gear; there's a 1000 rpm split between it and 5th, so you can't really use it below 80 mph. And the power difference between the 1100 and the 1150 is negligible.

JMO, but the price is a bit high.
    Last edited by Rinty; 12-06-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Rinty