Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84

Thread: Going to look at a '01 r11rt Saturday. Comments please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    180

    Going to look at a '01 r11rt Saturday. Comments please

    I am going to look at '01 r1100rt soon. It has 39,000 miles, 3 cases, charcoal gray,$5600. Owner bought it after riding a friends but has decided Harley is what his gang rides so the BMW must go. Has had recent service/corrections to the tune of 1800 and will probably need a new rear tire soon.

    What should I look for? I know to check service records, owner records. Is there anything special I should look for in a '01 rt? What about this surging issue? It sounds like some have it and some don't.

    I have heard the transmission can be expensive to repair. Is this true on the later model 1100s?

    Any advice or comments on what to look out for are greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    '80 1980 R65 Bronco brown sold
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue sold
    '17 1200RTW Alpine White

  2. #2
    That's the best year for that bike. Buy it.

  3. #3
    JAMESDUNN
    Guest
    For $5,600.00 that is a good deal for a clean well accessorized bike. Surging is a none issue and overdone by the press and many riders. Guarantee the seller will be singin' the blues somewhere down the road!

  4. #4
    Make sure you get the muffler. He may have removed it.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    15 M. E. Tampa
    Posts
    382

    '01 rt

    Any 1100 from 1998 on is good.
    The transmission is the M97, which sometimes need a rebuild when the wave washer fails and the sealed bearings get damaged. My '98 R1100RS has just been rebuilt with about 140,000 miles on the clock - so you have a lot of miles to go before any trouble should develop. The rebuild was less than $800 in my case.
    Other things that need periodic attention would be pivot pins/bearings - put the bike up on the centerstand and try to twist the rear wheel left to right and top to bottom. The pivot pins/bearings can be done by yourself if they go bad - $200 for pins and bearings.
    Rear shock wears out after xxx miles. I replaced mine at 90,000 miles, but many people replace them around 40,000 - cost is about $1200.
    With that low number of miles, I think you should be good to go.

  6. #6
    Registered User gnmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Salem, NY
    Posts
    29
    Be prepared........It's going to be your favorite bike!
    Gary

    07 K1200GT
    IBA 23450

  7. #7
    BUBBAZANETTI
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flars View Post
    Other things that need periodic attention would be pivot pins/bearings - put the bike up on the centerstand and try to twist the rear wheel left to right and top to bottom. The pivot pins/bearings can be done by yourself if they go bad - $200 for pins and bearings.
    in addition to this, "isolate" the final drive from the paralever by resting your shin against it and try rocking the wheel left to right. if you get more than a very tiny amount of movement, it indicates things in the final drive are not within spec. again, isolating the final drive removes the possibility that it might the pivot pins and their associated bearings. (there is also a great after market solution to repairing these pivot bearings with bronze bushings.) do both tests so you know exactly where your free play lies.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Make sure you get the muffler. He may have removed it.
    That is hilarious and very true in most HD circles.
    Black 1150 RT '02 sold
    White 1200 GS '09

  9. #9
    jingdog
    Guest
    YES the transmission is expensive to repair! My PO paid $3000 to have a rebuilt one installed. Fortunately the problem manifests itself in a test drive by skipping out of second or third gear. You could also offer to change the transmission oil. If it comes out mocha coffee brown thats a bad sign too. But pay attention during the test drive for jumping out of gear.
    Im a little suspicious about the "Harley" story. Also about the $1800 in repairs and now its up for sale. Maybe he's got a problem he cant fix and wants out. Ask the guy if you can give him $100 and keep the bike for a week. Maybe its legit maybe its not.

  10. #10
    jeremell
    Guest
    I recommend test driving an 1150RT first. You'll appreciate the better power and the six speed.

  11. #11
    cbck1200s
    Guest

    01 r11rt

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremell View Post
    I recommend test driving an 1150RT first. You'll appreciate the better power and the six speed.
    I agree...that 6th gear is worth every penny. I wouldn't buy a bike without one. I've test driven a R1150R and the gearing is smooth and has a great feel to it. My K1200S and my wife's F800ST both have 6 speeds and it's incredible. Zoom Zoom

    cbcK1200S
    Colin

  12. #12
    JAMESDUNN
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jingdog View Post
    YES the transmission is expensive to repair! My PO paid $3000 to have a rebuilt one installed. Fortunately the problem manifests itself in a test drive by skipping out of second or third gear. You could also offer to change the transmission oil. If it comes out mocha coffee brown thats a bad sign too. But pay attention during the test drive for jumping out of gear.
    Im a little suspicious about the "Harley" story. Also about the $1800 in repairs and now its up for sale. Maybe he's got a problem he cant fix and wants out. Ask the guy if you can give him $100 and keep the bike for a week. Maybe its legit maybe its not.
    Good post.... but, $1800.00 at a shop these days can happen quickly and without a huge amount of work being performed. It is why most of us do a lot, or at least some of our own maintenance and repairs. Caveat Emptor; "Let the buyer beware!"

  13. #13
    jingdog
    Guest
    Hmm since I almost never take the bike to BMW for repairs I guess I wouldnt know! The Wife would have something to say about that much to fix the motorcycle!

  14. #14
    Registered User boxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach area,Florida
    Posts
    321
    his "gang" decides what he rides???
    they tell him how to dress and what to eat too?

    I like my RT too.
    Tho I do get surging. Even after the shop did the one and only shop balancing.
    Needs it again it seems after about 4k miles which I will attempt ( 1st time).

    Truth be told tho If I could I'd go to an 1150 or a 1200RT since I definitely can't afford a K1300GT
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxwrench View Post
    his "gang" decides what he rides???
    they tell him how to dress absolutely! doo rag, assless pants, fingerless gloves, engineer boots, chain drive wallet & leather vest, but of course. eye patch is optionaland what to eat too? mostly so too, but not as clear cut
    "we not a gang, we a club!"
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •