• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Austin to Alaska

tthouses

capt. paul
Im planning a ride for Alaska in July from Austin Texas. I have the whole month off. Seeing if there are interested parties who may want to joing for all or part of the trip. I have a friend in Bend Oregon who may take his truck and act as a sag wagon for gear, tires, camping stuff. I am at the start of planning. I know I want to go. Give me a shout if you think you want to ride up in a group.
Paul Violand
tthouses@sbcglobal.net
soon to have an 2002 R1150GS.

I to am heading to Alaska in July. I'm starting from Columbus, Ohio on July 2. I will check my route at work and find out what day I'll be in Dawson Creek, If things line up we could ride up together.
I'm stopping at Fairbanks then up to the arctic circle for a photo. Then back to Fairbanks then to the rally in Redmond, OR to meet up with my dad and son.

Sure would be nice if we can talk them into adding Dawson creek BC as a starting point for the riders coming in from the north to the Redmond 1000 IBA ride. HINT HINT

Alaska

I'm planning on this as well. I had originally thought July but have reconsidered for late June. I think less tourists,and bugs are my main concern.
I live near Portland,Or and I hope to take 3 wks .

I to am heading to Alaska in July. I'm starting from Columbus, Ohio on July 2. I will check my route at work and find out what day I'll be in Dawson Creek, If things line up we could ride up together.
I'm stopping at Fairbanks then up to the arctic circle for a photo. Then back to Fairbanks then to the rally in Redmond, OR to meet up with my dad and son.

Sure would be nice if we can talk them into adding Dawson creek BC as a starting point for the riders coming in from the north to the Redmond 1000 IBA ride. HINT HINT

thats what i would like to do too...want to get to the rally...email me and i will put together all the folks who may want to go and coordinate:
tthouses@sbcglobal.net
ausitn tx
paul violand

this would be cool..

Do you really need a herd?

Under IBA rules, you can do a Saddle Sore 1000 ride in Argentina, if you want. You just need the required witnesses and gas receipts. The days are long there in the summer, and riders are usually admonished to not ride at night. Wildlife, ya know. Road construction would be the only possible obstacle.

Riders generally consider June to be the driest month of Alaska's summer. Earlier, and you find black flies. My first time there, in three weeks, I had about 9 days of rain in August. Can't see as much in the rain, but it costs just as much.

Jim

I should be in Dawson Creek July 6. This is one of my treat nights where I get a room someplace if I can find one. Other wise I'm sleeping outdoors.

Not big on calling ahead, you never know what is going to happen along the way.

Under IBA rules, you can do a Saddle Sore 1000 ride in Argentina, if you want. You just need the required witnesses and gas receipts. The days are long there in the summer, and riders are usually admonished to not ride at night. Wildlife, ya know. Road construction would be the only possible obstacle.

Riders generally consider June to be the driest month of Alaska's summer. Earlier, and you find black flies. My first time there, in three weeks, I had about 9 days of rain in August. Can't see as much in the rain, but it costs just as much.

Jim

If I were ever to visit Alaska on a bike I would do it 15 June - 15 July. Highest probability of decent weather. That's if I ever visit Alaska.

I will be in Dawson Creek July 6th. To help keep the cost in check IÔÇÖm planning to camp most of the time, maybe a hotel every 4th night or so. I planned on riding about 300 to 400 miles a day not in a big rush, I want to see things on the way up.
Well if you have been following the Redmond1000 thread I have been BEATING a dead horse abaout a northern starting point.

My email is Doug.peacock@anthem.com

I may have someone from www.RideOhio.org interested in meeting up as well.

GSA1200 here to Alaska;

Central CA to Alaska and taking in the Redmond Rally too, coming home. I have the same itinerary, camping a lot, with a room thrown in now and then. I've been way North, but not all the way to Alaska and camping with bears in BC and the Yukon, is a learning curve YOU must learn, if you've not done it. Just read up on the Bear topic and you'll be fine, like me:). R1200GSA is my mount for this trip, with a second newer KLR650, if the big beast 1200 lets me down. I do not expect it too:). The KLR makes a fine tourer too, not quite as fast but very fine. Randy:thumb:usa

Alaska -

Many very different rides in this huge and essentially unpopulated State. I took the time to speak to many MOA members prior to my trip last May.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=38263&highlight=midnight+sun

You can see amazing sights from the paved roads - but you will see sights that you'll carry to your grave on the unpaved 'highways'.

Dalton, Denali in Alaska...Dempster, Campbell, Top of the World in YK, just to name a few.

The big GS bikes are commonly seen up there - my 1150GS was the right balance of durability, long high speed runs to get there, and grunt to handle the challenges tossed at you on the dirt, mud and gravel roads that define that region.

Unlike my buddy with his Kawa - who had -

• overheating
  • Bent rims
  • failed mechanical parts that had to be rewelded
  • tiny gas tank
  • Daily chain adjustments and lubing
  • Crappy seat that was essentially a lightly padded bench

All I had to do with the Beemer was to add gas, occasionally change tires and ride.

:scratch Is everybody going to Alaska next summer? :laugh

We are leaving from Albuquerque last week of June. Our plans are:

1. head north.
2. try to be back by the end of July
3. :dunno guess that is it.

:bikes

:scratch Is everybody going to Alaska next summer? :laugh

We are leaving from Albuquerque last week of June. Our plans are:

1. head north.
2. try to be back by the end of July
3. :dunno guess that is it.

:bikes

Looks like a good plan :thumb

San Antonio to Alaska

Does seem to be the summer for Alaska.
Wife and I (on seperate bikes) are leaving San Antonio in late May for Yosemite and the 49er rally (in Mariposa this year). After that we're headed to Alaska. Coming back thru Jasper NP to Glacier NP then on to the national in Redmond.
Waiting to see when and where the RA national will be so we can finish out the summer ride plan.
After last year's heat wave we don't want to return to Texas till it cools down (which could be October).

Paul, My wife and I have been looking for a couple like you folks to work out a house sharing scheme, er, idea I have. We will spend our summers in Alaska and winters in Texas and you guys can do the opposite. Sound good?

Actually we are considering retiring in the Hill Country. Look us up if you get to Fairbanks and I'll trade you a brew for insights on the San Antonio area.

Im planning a ride for Alaska in July from Austin Texas. I have the whole month off. Seeing if there are interested parties who may want to joing for all or part of the trip. I have a friend in Bend Oregon who may take his truck and act as a sag wagon for gear, tires, camping stuff. I am at the start of planning. I know I want to go. Give me a shout if you think you want to ride up in a group.
Paul Violand
tthouses@sbcglobal.net
soon to have an 2002 R1150GS.

i will be riding from austin to fairbanks, leaving june 15. should be a great ride!

i got my 04 R1150GS couple months ago. i cant wait to go!!!

Notice!

Survival Gear for Remote Area Motorcycling

BRITISH COLUMBIA GRIZZLY BEAR

In light of the raising frequency of human grizzly bear conflicts, the British Columbia Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and motorcylists frequenting remote areas to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise pepper spray be carried in case of encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.
Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings contain lots of berries and rodent fur. Grizzly bear droppings are larger and contain little bells and smell like pepper.

Does seem to be the summer for Alaska.
Wife and I (on seperate bikes) are leaving San Antonio in late May for Yosemite and the 49er rally (in Mariposa this year). After that we're headed to Alaska. Coming back thru Jasper NP to Glacier NP then on to the national in Redmond.
Waiting to see when and where the RA national will be so we can finish out the summer ride plan.
After last year's heat wave we don't want to return to Texas till it cools down (which could be October).

Good plan Paul. The RA Rally is in Pownal, Vermont July 29 - Aug 1. That is approximately somewhere between Redmond and Texas I think, and doesn't interfere with an October return much.

Alaska Roadside Help

We are running around the state with a support vehicle for our tours, so if you ever get caught way out without any idea what to do, give us a call (907) 272 2777, and we can figure out a way to: transport your bike, bring you a part, help you get out of being stuck in the middle of no where. Remember, we have free camping, use of tools and will dispose of your oil in Anchorage. Please stop by if you get a chance.

This is a picture of our support vehicle "Jethro" which has been known to pick up wayward motorcycles above the Arctic Circle!

Back