• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Rear Wheel Bolts

Mr. Frank

I pulled my rear wheel today for a tire replacement and found the bolts nearly frozen. Two really screeched when they released. There was rust and rusty water all over everything. I recently went through a lot of rain returning from Vermont.

Is it safe to use a touch of anti-seize on rear wheel bolts. I'd like things to be a little cleaner and easier next time.

There was rust and rusty water all over everything.

Very common problem with that style wheel.

After the bolts are removed,wire brush them clean.
I have a black round plastic "BMW" logo plug that pop's right in to the center hole on the rear wheel. It fits snuggly and in over 20K miles,still keeps the water out which = no rusted bolts!!!
I purchased it from a guy in Austrailia for about $15.00? including shipping. It looks and fits great!!! Picture on his web site.

Here's his link:http://www.users.bigpond.com/hayneskld/

I had the same prblem but was told that you can't grease those bolts. The torque specs are for these things to be tightened without grease. I believe it is even in the manual.
The only thing you can do it take the wheel off (pita) :uhoh and clean the whole area once in a while. Make sure to torque those bolts right as you could crack the rim if you don't. Goes for cage wheels too by the way. That centercap thingie looks like the answer, I wish I had one when I had my RT. K bikes have a center stud and it fills up that hole.

R1150RT rear wheel

I just installed my wheelcaps this past week. Too soon to
see how well they keep the water out, but as tight as they fit I don't see how any water can get past them.

I ordered mine from Keith in Australia and had it in about
a week. He is very easy to deal with and the wheelcaps are class.

You will find him posting on this forum quite often and there is a site on his posts, that when clicked on will
give you his web site.

Gerald

I just installed my wheelcaps this past week. Too soon to
see how well they keep the water out, but as tight as they fit I don't see how any water can get past them.

I ordered mine from Keith in Australia and had it in about
a week. He is very easy to deal with and the wheelcaps are class.

Glad everything worked out for ya!!!

The bolts in question should NOT be greased or antiseized. They do take a high torque value to be 'tight'. But when you think about it you wouldn't want them loose.

I just took my RT to the local dealer to get new tires put on and while there my mechanic called me over to ask me if I've ever used a high pressure wash on my wheels. :uhoh

I told him I'm a lot of things, but I can't lie so I had to come clean. Riding from Texas to Spokane amounted to intense bugs and dirt so on occassion I pulled into the 75?ó pressure wash to get the bad stuff off. He showed me that hole on the left side of the rear wheel and explained how the high pressure water gets in there and rusts out the metal seals and the bolts. I only used the wash on the lower half of the bike and the front faring, but now realize it's just not a good idea.

One of the last things my salesman said to me the day I pulled out of the dealer on my brand new RT was not to use a pressure wash, but I thought I could be careful. I'm back to S100 in my driveway and the garden hose.

I'm surprised BMW can't come up with a better solution to protect those areas.

There is really no way a center cap will stop the lug bolt corrosion. When I change my tires (I do my own tire change'n) I take the time to take each lug bolt and completely clean it, especially the threads, with a good soft wire brush. If you do this each time, and ya end up do'n 2 or 3 tire changes a year, you will find you have almost no corrosion.

There is really no way a center cap will stop the lug bolt corrosion

I agree,but the Haynes Wheel Cap sure does help BIG TIME !! :thumb

R1150RT rear wheel bolts

I've been thinking about this ever since it was posted and wonder if a stainless steel bolt would rust in the hub? I
know a good grade of stainless steel does not rust, but
was not sure what reaction would occur between it and plain steel.

If this would work I for one would buy a set. Maybe some
vendor will look into this. Should be a potential for a lot
of sales on this item.

Gerald

Wheel lug bolts

rlf said:
The bolts in question should NOT be greased or antiseized. They do take a high torque value to be 'tight'. But when you think about it you wouldn't want them loose.
I can't help it, I have to lub my lug bolts. I clean, inspect and apply anti-seize to the threads and the head of the bolt, and then reduce the torque value 10%. You get a much better clamping force, and slight stretch of the bolts so that they will not loosen. When the bolts are dry, you get a very inconsent clamping force, and chance they will come loose. All the torqueing engery is in the rotation of the bolt, and not tightening. :fight

Roy Barnes said:
I can't help it, I have to lub my lug bolts. I clean, inspect and apply anti-seize to the threads and the head of the bolt, and then reduce the torque value 10%. You get a much better clamping force, and slight stretch of the bolts so that they will not loosen. When the bolts are dry, you get a very inconsent clamping force, and chance they will come loose. All the torqueing engery is in the rotation of the bolt, and not tightening. :fight

Huh!?

I completely agree with Roy. Maybe monitor the bolts some to make sure they don't loosen. Of course we have the wheels off to change tires anyway.

Bolt tensions will be very inconsistent without an anti-zeize given the various states of corrosion that would otherwise be encountered in the thread.

Stainless bolts are not an answer either. Stainless has a horrible tendency to seize or gall in any tapped hole - especially if no antiseize is used.

Wheel caps

Mr. Frank said:
Thanks for the tip on the wheel cap. Has anyone found a U.S. source for these? It looks like just what I need.

For a nice stock look, take a spare wheel bolt available from any US dealer with a 14mm nut and short spacer on the inside to cover the hole.

I too, use anti-seize on the wheel bolts. I torque them to req'd. specs and I've never had a problem of any kind, with them coming loose.

But then again, I'm a bit anal retentive about my RT. I'm always checking nuts, bolts, screws, etc. for tightness / snugness.

It keeps me out of the bars, I stay sober, and it costs less $$. :clap

loose lugs???

I've used copper based anti-seize on the lugs of my k-bike150kmi. & my r115030kmi. always torqued to spec & no problems yet,I'm changing the tires at 7-9k damn things keep goin bald on me :stick

Mr. Frank said:
I pulled my rear wheel today for a tire replacement and found the bolts nearly frozen. Two really screeched when they released. There was rust and rusty water all over everything.

Is it safe to use a touch of anti-seize on rear wheel bolts. I'd like things to be a little cleaner and easier next time.

Every time I buy a new vehicle, be it a car or a motorcycle, the first thing I do I grease the wheel bolts/nuts and apply a thin coat of grease to the hubs. I torque my bolts/nuts but use a lower setting to counter the effect of the grease.

The same applies to the front axle. If the axle shaft seizes to the inner spacer, good luck! I apply a coat of grease to the axle shaft and inner spacer to avoid future headaches.

Back