• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight light bothersome at night

T

tourist

So there is this extra lighting off to the left which annoys me. I don't see any deformities on the reflector, there is some lettering on the lens that may be defracting? Maybe something out of place, maybe something normal. Can anything be done?

PC010006.JPG

How close is whatever the light is reflecting off of in that picture? Can you do a picture like that from 15 feet from a wall or garage door? Then I'd have something to compare it to.

The above picture was taken on a level road.

Here's some from in the garage. This is a few feet from the door.
PC020006.JPG

Close your left eye - no no
What about just a little tape on that side - is this on a GT/R/S?
Is it on one or both sides?

k1300gt 2010

Just on the one side. Covering the print on lens doesn't do anything. When you position your at the scattered light and look towards the light, right before I go blind, I think it looks like it would be coming from the upper left area of the reflector as you look from the front of the bike. Thats a guess because the light is bright. HaHa...Got a welding helmet I'll try.
I don't see any imperfection but it might be small.

These are some shots of the postion of the bulb cover on my 09 - seems ok

DSC05729.jpg

DSC05730.jpg

DSC05735.jpg

My light at 15 feet

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

Luis:
Boy, this doesn't bring back any recent memories, does it.....
If your bike is still mobile (just tucked mine in for the year today, incl removed battery) can you get a picture like tourist did, a little closer to a wall, and see if you have the same thing.

UNLESS tourist means he did fnd the bulb was out of position? Tourist's posts are sometimes a bit crytic, what is "bulb crooked" with a frowny face supposed to mean? If you found the problem it should be a HAPPY face!

Gilly

Everything looks normal and in place from what I can tell.

From the front. Taped area bigger than I first tried. Off to the right in picture

PC020010.jpg

This fixes it but doesn't look cool.

PC020009.jpg

The grey metal jacket that surounds the bulb (look in semper_fi's last closeup picture) No no not the big one, the blurry small one on the inside just around the glass. If you can imagine what it looks like from the other angle where the light is coming from. To me, it looks as if the bottom half of the bulb is covered. Moreso on one side of bulb like its cocked at an angle. The larger grey tube over the light also is solid on the bottom. You maybe able to tell from the other closeup pictures that the right side is slightly cut out lower than the left side shown in the two pictures.

Cryptic part:
So I took my welding helmet and looked. When I squat down and get into the path of that light, looking towards the bike, I can see the center of the bulb from that angle where the tape is blocking. If I look from the other side I don't see the center because it is blocked by the little metal jacket that surrounds the bulb, not the big outer one. It looks as if the small interior jacket could turn a couple of degrees counterclockwise it would block the stray light and match up with the outer grey shell more evenly. Hard to explain... I think its all part of the bulb structure.

Waiting to have Luis (Semper Fi) get a picture of the light spread on his, so we can compare yours to his.
Gilly

Hope there's no butter and very little salt on that popcorn. I worry 'boutcha, man....

Back