Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel tank badges

fuel tank badges

What's the easiest (safest) way to remove the BMW emblems from the fuel tank (non-screw type). And where can I buy replacemnts? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by radiofun1 View Post
    What's the easiest (safest) way to remove the BMW emblems from the fuel tank (non-screw type). And where can I buy replacemnts? Thanks.
    1. Dental floss (or equivalent) to saw through the adhesive pad behind the roundel.

2. Your dealer.

One additional note: be *very* sure of the size you order -- there were a number of different diameters over the years, some of which are so close together that it's easy to order the wrong size.

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    1. Dental floss (or equivalent) to saw through the adhesive pad behind the roundel.

2. Your dealer.

One additional note: be *very* sure of the size you order -- there were a number of different diameters over the years, some of which are so close together that it's easy to order the wrong size.
    +1, i used fishing line...

Emblems

Quote Originally Posted by radiofun1 View Post
    If you are not doing a concours restoration check out the emblems off a BMW Cruiser, they are slightly convex shaped and won't fade in the sun and look much nicer! Thay run about $25 per emblem though!
    Did this to my 1977 R100RS and it looks great!
    Darryl
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

criminaldesign
    There's something cool about those aged yellowed roundels though.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    It's called patina...I prefer that myself...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Mr. Snowbum has an article about the roundel and options where one might get one. I've heard that the automobile side has some that are cheaper and are the right size.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/roundel.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Yarddog
    If you carefully use dental floss or fishing line, you prolly won't need new roundrels...if you don't bend 'em, just glue them back in place with RTV silicone. I'm gonn strip my tank, however, I'm just goin' to lay some masking tape over that area so I don't have to remove them...I'll feather edge the old paint, mask off the emblems, and I'll be good to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Yarddog View Post
    If you carefully use dental floss or fishing line, you prolly won't need new roundrels...if you don't bend 'em, just glue them back in place with RTV silicone. I'm gonn strip my tank, however, I'm just goin' to lay some masking tape over that area so I don't have to remove them...I'll feather edge the old paint, mask off the emblems, and I'll be good to go...
    Unless he wants to replace them because they look crappy and not because he wants to paint the tank.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Unless he wants to replace them because they look crappy and not because he wants to paint the tank.
    Very true...thot about that after I posted, HOWEVER...in that case, no biggie if ya destoy 'em...pry em off! Lay some tape around the edges and get to it!

Thanks for your suggestions. FYI - I don't plan on painting the bike. I like the original paint job, even if it is a bit worn. I may even leave the old roundles on even though they are completely faded. Their old faded look is kinda growing on me.

criminaldesign
    being a bit worn shows that's it's been around the block.

I have a cousin that is a phenomenal guitar player and picks up used guitars.

His theory is a quality used guitar with no nicks and wear on the back of the neck and body is suspect. No one loved or played it. May as well get a new one.

Cracks and structural damage is another issue though.

Personally, wear adds character.

Let us know what you decide on. h

Not when it's years of cat piss from sitting unloved in the PO's garage.

I gotta replace mine.

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Not when it's years of cat piss from sitting unloved in the PO's garage.

I gotta replace mine.
    that's even a better than faded by time or sun, minus the smell of cat piss.

I replaced mine when I painted the tank, they were around 15-20 a piece.

JAMESDUNN
    being a bit worn shows that's it's been around the block.

I have a cousin that is a phenomenal guitar player and picks up used guitars.

His theory is a quality used guitar with no nicks and wear on the back of the neck and body is suspect. No one loved or played it. May as well get a new one.

Cracks and structural damage is another issue though.

Personally, wear adds character.

Let us know what you decide on. h
    I like patina. I saw an old Harley recently that had little of it's original paint remaining and a fair bit of rust but it ran, and ran well. On close inspection the engine was clean and it had new tires, etc. Very well maintained. I'd take it over a chromedbefested Harley anyday. Last summer while at a cafe an R90S parked, it's owner going in for a bite. I checked out his bike. Same thing, worn paint and surface rust. Good tires and evidence of care. Looked road ready and was as evidenced by his out of state plate.