• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How is your weather?

The wind is howling like crazy, snow is blowing everywhere, the temperatures are in the low teens, and the forecast is for more of the same.

Let's see, spring is how many months away?

We didn't quite make 40 yesterday. Still enjoyed riding about 90 miles. (Husband and I gave each other heated jacket liners for early Christmas.:love) Sleet during the night and in low 40's today. Calling for rain and wintry precipitation off and on all week.

Southeast Missouri weather varies from the occasional 60 degree winter days to below zero. We never totally put the bikes away for the winter.:nyah

I woke this morning to a dusting of snow - just enough to cover the streets, though the grass was still visible. The best part was the fact that the city and county spread no salt, meaning a minor event turned into a nightmare. That little bit of snow got polished into ice on the highway and in intersections. Add in people who forget how to drive in snow/ice conditions over the summer and the end result is a commute that takes 3x longer than normal. Very enjoyable. :mad

A very sad day yesterday. Knowing we would have a snowy week, I put my RT in winter storage so I could fit the d#*% snowblower in it's place in my garage. Ohhhh, for March :cry
I choose to live in Wisconsin. No one said I was bright!

Maybe 3/4 inch here when I awoke.
Nice and wet. Always fun to watch the traffic after the first snow.

On an upbeat note when I went to my insurance agent last week the facilitator asked, "Do you want to put any of you bikes in storage?". Seems the laws have changed here in Illinois and now you can store your bikes and they freeze collision and liability but maintain the coverage for theft, fire and the like. They say if I want to ride just phone them up and tell them which bike is out for a hop and they can put it back in "storage" when the weather gets bad again.

Saved me a chunk!

The snow is beautiful.

When I started this thread, I said the weather in the Texas panhandle is never boring and if you don't like the weather, just wait 30 minutes and it will change. Today we had it all. Yesterday was overcast and cold with a high of 22. Last night a fog and light drizzle came in and this morning was beautiful. A white frost covered everything . It looked like a winter wonderland. The temperature came up and by about 11 it had melted. About noon, a band of snow came through. Just enough to lightly cover the ground. The sun then came out and the snow was gone by 1. The strong low pressure went by to the north and it got up to 45 degrees and the wind did blow. A constant 40-45 with some gusts in the area up to 70 and some blowing dust. Fortunately, the wind did let up some about sundown, but it has now gone to the north and we are expecting lows tonight in the single digits and chill factors below zero. It is not a good day when the wind speed number is higher than the temperature!

30sh and tomorrow we fire up the old Chev 4X4 for the three hour run to Larry's River, Nova Scotia. Promises of snow turning to sunshine for the next few days. Pellet stove is ready to fire up and enough coffee, tea and adult beverage to enjoy. A beautiful place to be and to get away from the rush of pre Christmas Halifax. The new Mustang is tucked away in the garage next to the /5 and K11. Nice fit but I do envy all you folk in Texas being able to just have another day of riding ....... sigh.
- Bob

48* and damp on the way in to work at 6am.

44* with winds gusting to 20mph and a steady, driving rain on the way home at 6:30pm.

If I could only find a pair of rain pants that stay waterproof. I was also reminded that it was time to re-waterproof my colder-weather gloves and touring boots. Yes indeed, old man winter is right around the corner. It'll be dropping into the teens here in Hotlanta before too long.

what a mess....

It is 9:30pm, half mile from Lake Michigan, just north of Milwaukee.

Freezing rain-the power and phone lines are icing up. Lights are flickering.
When the wind blows, chunks of ice and snow are hitting the house.

Thunder snow on the way, schools are closing for tomorrow.
We are getting about 9 inches of real crap over night.

When ever a piece of ice rolls across our roof, the cats go nuts.

The roads will be like roller derby tomorrow.

We made chili tonight, and I am nursing another beer.

I just talked to my son who lives in Madison, WI (79 miles west) and they are getting clobbered.

I am sure some one tomorrow will be riding a R-GS as if it was any other day.

It is 9:30pm, half mile from Lake Michigan, just north of Milwaukee.

Freezing rain-the power and phone lines are icing up. Lights are flickering.
When the wind blows, chunks of ice and snow are hitting the house.

Thunder snow on the way, schools are closing for tomorrow.
We are getting about 9 inches of real crap over night.

When ever a piece of ice rolls across our roof, the cats go nuts.

The roads will be like roller derby tomorrow.

We made chili tonight, and I am nursing another beer.

I just talked to my son who lives in Madison, WI (79 miles west) and they are getting clobbered.

I am sure some one tomorrow will be riding a R-GS as if it was any other day.

Thunder snow and chili. What a great combo!
Pass the El Yucateco!!!

Early morning Weds at 1500 feet on the side of a hill in Vermont. Four inches of heavy snow on the ground and it's coming down like gangbusters. Expect up to 10 inches before it changes over to freezing rain later in the day.

I suppose this means riding season is over...

Pete

27 in Dallas this morning. For this part of Texas that is quite cold. However, the bike is in the shop getting new tires and a battery so I couldn't ride anyhow. Supposed to be 60 Saturday so I hope to ride then.

We aren't flying in my corner of Fly-Over-Land! :ha

8-12 inches of snow in the last 24 hours with winds picking up. Roads are closed as is everything else - except my kitchen - Taking the day off to do a bunch of reading inbetween baking and other kitchen fun.

When I started this thread, I said the weather in the Texas panhandle is never boring and if you don't like the weather, just wait 30 minutes and it will change. Today we had it all. Yesterday was overcast and cold with a high of 22. Last night a fog and light drizzle came in and this morning was beautiful. A white frost covered everything . It looked like a winter wonderland. The temperature came up and by about 11 it had melted. About noon, a band of snow came through. Just enough to lightly cover the ground. The sun then came out and the snow was gone by 1. The strong low pressure went by to the north and it got up to 45 degrees and the wind did blow. A constant 40-45 with some gusts in the area up to 70 and some blowing dust. Fortunately, the wind did let up some about sundown, but it has now gone to the north and we are expecting lows tonight in the single digits and chill factors below zero. It is not a good day when the wind speed number is higher than the temperature!

I lived in Amarillo for almost 4 years in the early 70's. I remember those "Blue Northers", and the dust storms. Wild weather!

BTW, nothing like eggs in an iron skillet on the campfire, and buscuits in the Dutch Oven on the rim of Palo Duro at sunrise! Sorry for the hyjack.

Altoona Pa 30 Degrees 2 inches of Slush, feels like cement when trying to shovel. Yuck, Glad I got to ride the Honda XR650 L yesterday

Minnesota gets one in the kisser.

5 Ft. Drifts in my downhill-to-the-road driveway; not sure the GMC is going to go back up when I get home tonight. 40 MPH winds and sub zero temps on the way.

Since my days start early, plowing of my driveway will wait till tonight; SO and son are home today. My normal commute of 40 minutes took hour and a half.

So here I go in the 5:30 AM dark, gently pushing up I-35 in my 4x4 pickup, 60 MPH, no one else on the road, when headlights appear behind me-on top of me...I slow down, and pull over to where the shoulder should be to let the fool by. Red Dodge Mini Van.

Not 10 miles down the road, plowed into the center median that has 6ft. plus drifts, here is the same guy, now exiting his blood red minivan out the drivers window! He can't even get the doors open! I tooted as I went by, Highway Patrol already at the scene from the North.

I sort of doubt Mr. Careless is going to get a ticket, though..

This was last night around 9:30pm. Sometime in the night it switched to rain and almost all of it was gone. It's in the mid 40's right now (with wind gusts to 50mph+) but dropping to freezing temps later on, which means I need to clear leaves from the storm drain over lunch, so I don't have an ice rink at the bottom of my driveway.

15556_1260187675380_1550327044_30659797_1319819_n.jpg

I don't like the weather, but it's a lot better than other things some of you are reporting. I'd be happy with this weather continuing until spring so I don't need to use my snowblower. :)

Southern Ontario Weather

We've been hit by the first snow storm of the year, snow and now this in between slush has been falling since late last night. High winds are not helping, I fear I've had my last ride of the season a few days ago.:violin
Fortunately I've got the winter tires on the car and the Toronto Motorcycle Show is this weekend.
For all those in the snowy climes have a great hibernation!
JC

Back