• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do you do with your helmet when it is not being used?

Rudyjo

Dale Rudolph
I have a new helmet on order, it will be my first new one. What do you do with
yours to keep it from being dropped or scratched when it is not being used?
Keep it in a box?, hang it on the wall?, keep in in the house?

:D I keep mine on the kitchen table just to tick off the old lady.

But seriously, you ought to buy a case for it, or keep it in the box, especially if you don't ride in the winter.

Get yourself a nice Helmet bag. we won one made by Tourmaster at the National this past summer. I have a shelf in the garage that I built for the sole purpose of storing Helmets. with a Helmet bag you can also hang it on a hook.

The one I wear every day sits on a shelf in the garage at home (garage temps range from low of 40 in the winter to 90 in summer) and on top of a bookcase at work.

The ones that don't get worn every day sit on the shelf in garage with my daily use helmet, but are stored in their Shoei helmet bags.

I've given up on worrying about scratches and minor drops; it's a helmet not a designer chapeau.

After each ride, I clean the bugs off and stick it in the bag that came with it. Then it goes into a chair in the bike-cave until I need it again. But I am going to build a shelf unit with glass doors this Winter. Then I'll store it in there.

Tom

At work, it sits on top of a handy file cabinet where it won't be disturbed. At home, it sits on a shelf in the garage, along with gloves. The shelf is held by two closet brackets; under the shelf is a clothes rod with the jackets, pants, Gerbing's, etc.

When we remodeled the kitchen two years ago, the microwave shelf was flawed. There was a seam in the wood laminate that was very noticeable. The cabinet maker replaced it but did not want the original back. We hung it in the garage and found that it holds two helmets nicely. That's where they live when not being worn.

It sits in top of the gear dresser on the front porch. Or on the workbench in the shop. It depends on where I parked; by the door or in the shop.

Being cautious, I wear it when I shuffle bikes around.

Last edited:
At work, it sits on top of a handy file cabinet where it won't be disturbed. At home, it sits on a shelf in the garage, along with gloves. The shelf is held by two closet brackets; under the shelf is a clothes rod with the jackets, pants, Gerbing's, etc.

Hmmm...seems you copied my idea, or did I copy yours... my shelf will hold 5 Helmets and I can hang 6 Jackets plus a couple ball caps. :)

I had picked up to of these bicycle racks a couple of years ago, but never used them.

Nicely built out of oak, I re-stained them to match the cabinets in the laundry room and stuck 'em up on the wall. Helmets go there, 'stichs go on the coat rack, gloves go in a basket on a little three shelf chrome rack below the helmets and the boots go under the basket on the bottom shelf of the rack.

front-view.jpg

sideview.jpg

Same here. Keep it away from ozone and chemical fumes as they'll eat the styro liner and weaken it.

Your helmet should come with a care guide that describes how to store it.

Kind of on topic: Lay your gloves out flat so the sweat evaporates out of them. Don't cram them in your helmet.

I'd be cautious of putting a helmet in a bag if that bag won't allow sweat to evaporate out of the liner. They can get funky quick if sweat builds up in them. Yuck.

In its own helmet bag, that came with it, in the trunk of the '65 421HO Catalina it parks next to in the garage.

Hmmm...seems you copied my idea, or did I copy yours... my shelf will hold 5 Helmets and I can hang 6 Jackets plus a couple ball caps. :)

I dunno...you been poking around my garage? :)

Actually, when I moved into my now-wife's home in 1997, there already was a shelf between two posts in the middle of the garage, just between the two bays. I hung a clothes rod underneath, and was good to go. Or stop, actually. :D When we moved last year, I made sure there was enough wall space in the garage for another shelf and rod, although the shelf isn't as large as yours. My wife doesn't ride, but both our helmets fit (I want to be prepared in case she changes her mind), with room between for gloves and glasses. Next to the shelf stapled to the wall is the 200-box of foam earplugs.

Guess great minds think a like.. Mine is on the little round table that just collects her junk if mine is not there.. :D

:D I keep mine on the kitchen table just to tick off the old lady.

But seriously, you ought to buy a case for it, or keep it in the box, especially if you don't ride in the winter.

Not in the Garage

Being in FL, I store my helmet in the house in AC. i think I can cook an egg in the garage. The garage is so hot so I don't store it there. I keep it on a shelf in my helmet bag if I don't plan on riding for a few days.

Mine are suppose to go in the cabinet I bought to put only Motorcycle related stuff in. Located in my garage.

Attachments

• cabnet 002.jpg
    cabnet 002.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 371
But all to often the helmet and jacket are on the bike ready to go! :clap

Attachments

• cabnet 001.jpg
    cabnet 001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 328
Helmet storage idea

When I've "called it a day" and putting away my bike, the larger of the two paniers has proven to be a very convenient place to store my Shoei Multitech helmet and gloves. It's all there ready to go at the next opportunity for fun!

Helmet???? What helmet????:D

Seriously, I keep mine in a wall locker that I use for my riding gear. It is an old military vented locker, and I put in a low wattage light bulb so the bugs can see their way around when the doors are closed......it also helps keep the humidity down. If I have not cleaned it lately and I have to store it in the bag, I will put a scented Bounce anti static tissue inside the helmet to help keep the "funk" down.

Back