• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

S1000RR launch results

Demo Rides?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xubyOzj4BC0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xubyOzj4BC0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I saw one last weekend at the Washington DC show that a dealer had. Much smaller then I expected, build quality seemed very high, also appeared to draw a lot of interest. Very glad they came out with something like this even though I will never own one because of a very bad lower back. It's a shame BMW didn't do all the Cycle World Shows this year to showcase this bike like Ducati is doing with the Multi Strada. Those of you going to New York this weekend should see the BMW products there..........I hope they decide to make it to the Cycle World Show in Daytona where I would think they would draw a large crowd.

It did well by Motorcyclist, as well; both Catterson and Code liked it.

I got the sense from MOA News' interview of Pieter de Waal, that the bike mag reviews are important to BMW.

Last edited:
I saw one last weekend at the Washington DC show that a dealer had. Much smaller then I expected, build quality seemed very high, also appeared to draw a lot of interest. Very glad they came out with something like this even though I will never own one because of a very bad lower back. It's a shame BMW didn't do all the Cycle World Shows this year to showcase this bike like Ducati is doing with the Multi Strada. Those of you going to New York this weekend should see the BMW products there..........I hope they decide to make it to the Cycle World Show in Daytona where I would think they would draw a large crowd.

Same here, it's size is like a 600. Very nice agile looking bike. The bike is like a computer on wheels, high tech stuff going on with bikes now. Doing Code's class in May on this bike.

Well the bike is at my local dealer as of 1/26. Didn;t ask how long they;d had it,
Are in FL apparently picking up keys (?) and they've already sold 8 on preorder.
Bike is tiny- amazingly so. A GXR would look huge parked next to it, I expect.

Found one ergo problem- non adjustable clutch lever. Brake lever is adjustable.

Should be a hoot to ride and is certainly going to bring younger folks into the dealerships- a good thing.

NOT trading my RT for one- basically its a toy for play, not transportation for distance. Wouldn't take it to work every day if had one. Might make a nice 3rd bike though...
(and I'm not the target market age group anyway)

Oh great another crotch rocket. BMW looses market share because they are making bikes for 22 yr olds who can't afford them.

Oh great another crotch rocket. BMW looses market share because they are making bikes for 22 yr olds who can't afford them.
You might want to read this months article in ON and the interview with MR. De Waal. It fully explains why they decided to build it.
It's base price really isn't that much more then a Honda CBR1000.
BMW is trying to get a larger share of the motorcycle market and I for one I'm glad that their doing it. These 20 year old are the RT, GT and GS rider's of the future.
It's the cradle to grave philosophy, I for one wished they would have done this long ago.

I just renewed to get my ticket for the contest. Now when I win.......

A place known for it's really warm climate will be frozen solid.

But my membership was due anyway and it was free.

Rod

This bike should attract new to the BMW Marquee riders. Some of them may want to join the club, that could increase advertising. Sharing of tech expertise would be a great value to the owners. Even if there were few users, the cost of adding a specific forum is pretty low I would think.

Rod

This bike should attract new to the BMW Marquee riders. Some of them may want to join the club, that could increase advertising. Sharing of tech expertise would be a great value to the owners. Even if there were few users, the cost of adding a specific forum is pretty low I would think.

Rod

First, though, they need to join the MOA. And to make that happen, we need to have a compelling reason for them to do so.

This is a 16K bike give or take because to use its capability takes the expensive electronic option. So its more than any of the J bikes. Comparing bases prices is not a useful price comparison.

Still, I think when the reviews are done there will be plenty of buyers and I will personally enjoy seeing younger guys joining the mix at the dealerships. (They have sooo much to learn from us old farts- I teach a mess of em on track in cars...)

For me, this bike is like my students' Vipers, vettes, Ferraris or whatever. I'll enjoy riding one but I don't want to buy one. Thinking of doing a 400 miles or more day on one makes me sore already.

This is a 16K bike give or take because to use its capability takes the expensive electronic option. So its more than any of the J bikes. Comparing bases prices is not a useful price comparison.

Based on the reviews, it's at least the equal of the competitors without the gadgets. :dunno

I could fell the pain in my wrists, not to mention my aging back, just sitting on it in the dealership. I think it wil appeal to the Ducati crowd. Less money and much more usable power.

First, though, they need to join the MOA. And to make that happen, we need to have a compelling reason for them to do so.

Therein lies the rub.

If BMW MOA was to begin today, would it look the same way as it does now or would it be something completely different?

Back