• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just bought a Harley and a Honda

Rinty

My brother in law in Holland (he's the guy on Miquel's left),

659265834_xMPCR-M.jpg

just pulled off a pretty sweet deal on an almost new 1200 Sporty. Since the bike was here, and since I'm family and all, I got the honour of arranging, and closing, the deal. At that time, needless to say, a test ride was necessary, to make sure that all was in order;

720523945_aeseb-M.jpg

I have to say I really like this bike.

Later that day, I picked up one of those new Honda 4 stroke, single stage,snowblowers. I've had Toro's for years, and they work great, but I'm tired of mixing gas and oil.

Now I have just one question: the owner's manual recommends 5W-30 automotive oil (SJ or later) but wouldn't a better choice be small engine stuff with higher ZDDP content? :hide

My brother in law in Holland (he's the guy on Miquel's left),

659265834_xMPCR-M.jpg

just pulled off a pretty sweet deal on an almost new 1200 Sporty. Since the bike was here, and since I'm family and all, I got the honour of arranging, and closing, the deal. At that time, needless to say, a test ride was necessary, to make sure that all was in order;

720523945_aeseb-M.jpg

I have to say I really like this bike.

Later that day, I picked up one of those new Honda 4 stroke, single stage,snowblowers. I've had Toro's for years, and they work great, but I'm tired of mixing gas and oil.

Now I have just one question: the owner's manual recommends 5W-30 automotive oil (SJ or later) but wouldn't a better choice be small engine stuff with higher ZDDP content? :hide

I have one of those and like all Hondas, it'll run on Wesson if has to and you will get all but 1 teaspoon back!

Hey folks!

I'm just about to go make some popcorn. Any suggestions on what sort of oil I should use?

Thanks!

I have had my Honda single stage blower for 18 years. I always use mobil 1 5-30. Still starts on the first pull and runs like a champ.

I converted my snow blower to Synthetic after the first 20,000 hours. It never burns any oil now and runs great. I followed all of the break in suggestions and while it used a top off every now and then, it no longer does and I see this baby blowing for years to come.

Getting back to the topic of oil, Briggs & Stratton makes a snow blower thrower specific oil for ten clams a quart. They must have picked up some marketing ideas from BMW :D

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 245
...ten clams a quart...

Ouch! I see Crappy Tire has it for 4.99. But they're not in the U.S.

In the meantime, we had a nasty little storm on Friday, so I used the new thrower for the first time yesterday, and don't like it at all. It was heavy, hard to push, and marked up our sidewalks (being a doofus, I didn't notice this until it was too late).

So, in spite of my solemn vow to never again spin wrenches, I studied the manual, and then reset the scraper bar so that the thrower blades are the correct distance above the sidewalk (the dealer goofs had them completely mis-adjusted). Not having Glavesian skills, I was quite proud of myself. I'll give it one more try before deciding whether to keep it.

There must be something wrong with your blower because my old honda is the cats ass. I have used other brands and types and I havent found one that is as good yet.

a sad ending to this story

Well, my brother in law's Harley arrived in Holland a few weeks ago, and it was still being certified when he and my step sister, Lydia, left on a trip to South Africa.

They were on their way back yesterday on Afriqiyah Airways Flight 771, when something went terribly wrong....

They loved Canada, and visited us often. We called our guest bedroom that they used, the "Sassenheim Suite", after their home town in Holland. My wife took this picture above Barrier Lake in Kananaskis Country, last fall:

659269541_miBuG-M.jpg

They were wonderful people, and I'll really miss them.

Back