Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Harley and a Honda

Just bought a Harley and a Honda

My brother in law in Holland (he's the guy on Miquel's left),

just pulled off a pretty sweet deal on an almost new 1200 Sporty. Since the bike was here, and since I'm family and all, I got the honour of arranging, and closing, the deal. At that time, needless to say, a test ride was necessary, to make sure that all was in order;

I have to say I really like this bike.

Later that day, I picked up one of those new Honda 4 stroke, single stage,snowblowers. I've had Toro's for years, and they work great, but I'm tired of mixing gas and oil.

Now I have just one question: the owner's manual recommends 5W-30 automotive oil (SJ or later) but wouldn't a better choice be small engine stuff with higher ZDDP content?
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    My brother in law in Holland (he's the guy on Miquel's left),

just pulled off a pretty sweet deal on an almost new 1200 Sporty. Since the bike was here, and since I'm family and all, I got the honour of arranging, and closing, the deal. At that time, needless to say, a test ride was necessary, to make sure that all was in order;

I have to say I really like this bike.

Later that day, I picked up one of those new Honda 4 stroke, single stage,snowblowers. I've had Toro's for years, and they work great, but I'm tired of mixing gas and oil.

Now I have just one question: the owner's manual recommends 5W-30 automotive oil (SJ or later) but wouldn't a better choice be small engine stuff with higher ZDDP content?
    I have one of those and like all Hondas, it'll run on Wesson if has to and you will get all but 1 teaspoon back!
    Steve Marquardt

You trying to start a SNOWBLOWING oil thread? geeezzzzz.......
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Is this April Fools Day?

A snowblower oil thread?
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT

snow blower oil thread

This cannot possibly be happening!
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Crow18
    Hey folks!

I'm just about to go make some popcorn. Any suggestions on what sort of oil I should use?

Thanks!

Yeah, well, I thought things were a bit slow here, lately...
    Rinty

bob1100rtc
    I have had my Honda single stage blower for 18 years. I always use mobil 1 5-30. Still starts on the first pull and runs like a champ.

Toadmanor
    I converted my snow blower to Synthetic after the first 20,000 hours. It never burns any oil now and runs great. I followed all of the break in suggestions and while it used a top off every now and then, it no longer does and I see this baby blowing for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadmanor View Post
    I converted my snow blower to Synthetic after the first 20,000 hours.
    You blew snow for 833 days 24/7 before converting?! Man, you must have allota snow up there!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

3 Red Bricks
    What's a snow blower?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    What's a snow blower?

You're absolutely right. The Honda we are discussing is a single stage and technically a snowthrower
    Steve Marquardt

Getting back to the topic of oil, Briggs & Stratton makes a snow blower thrower specific oil for ten clams a quart. They must have picked up some marketing ideas from BMW
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

...ten clams a quart...
    Ouch! I see Crappy Tire has it for 4.99. But they're not in the U.S.

In the meantime, we had a nasty little storm on Friday, so I used the new thrower for the first time yesterday, and don't like it at all. It was heavy, hard to push, and marked up our sidewalks (being a doofus, I didn't notice this until it was too late).

So, in spite of my solemn vow to never again spin wrenches, I studied the manual, and then reset the scraper bar so that the thrower blades are the correct distance above the sidewalk (the dealer goofs had them completely mis-adjusted). Not having Glavesian skills, I was quite proud of myself. I'll give it one more try before deciding whether to keep it.
    Rinty

bob1100rtc
    There must be something wrong with your blower because my old honda is the cats ass. I have used other brands and types and I havent found one that is as good yet.