• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Staying Fit through the Holidaze . . .

What do you mean no magic?

Next you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus!:dunno

Voni
not even sMiling this time

-eating strictly vegetarian at home, lots of tofu and meat substitutes

-red meat once a week

-replacing all lunchtime "crap food" (subway, chipotle burritos, halal cart) with a real boring salad/bean/1 scoop of chicken salad combo from the by the pound place

-diet soda, 2 a week and a friday regular soda "treat", keeping sugar consumption low in general

-eat breakfast and have a multi-vitamin, you'll have less for lunch and feel more energetic all day. instead of taking the elevator 3 floors, you'll take the stairs, heck, i often walk down from the 18th floor where i go often to my office on the 3rd.

-2 miles on the stationary bike, 3-5 miles on the treadmill, 5 times a week. i noticed i run more if i listen to my ipod, less if i watch "cash cab" on the treadmill tv. music that is good for running - The Happy Mondays, Mercyful Fate, NYC late 80s hardcore. music that is bad for running - Steely Dan, The Fall.

-less beer

:heart

Has someone told you that you are large? Tall, yes. But iirc from seeing you at Johnson City you are in fine shape.
But kudos to you for following such a strict regimen.

OK. The Christmas part of the holiday is done and I've only gained a pound. So thanks for all the advice. Seems to have worked!

How about you?

Voni
sMiling

Reformed Vegan

Avoiding the treats at work by snacking on raw almonds and pecans.
Breaking the sugar addiction is soooo beneficial, no soda for me thanks water is just fine.
I miss micro beers the most but I want to get back under 200, my 36" pants miss me.
I can tell right away when I've gotten off track by the way I feel and the way my clothes fit. Avoid processed foods, eat the real stuff you will feel much better. It's not a diet it's a lifestyle choice. Keep your goals in mind when tempted to indulge.

I'm struggling with my "holiday bonus" and making a good go at getting rid of the extra pounds. I fell off the fitness wagon just before Thanksgiving. . . Mostly, I quit weighing myself daily - or even weekly. ACK!

Last February, in preparation for riding from Baltimore to Denver in August. I vowed to lose at least 10 pounds, but mostly to just get in better shape for the 1700+ mile ride that I'd given myself 4 days to do.

I started with walking every day. Not "strolling" but walking quickly and with purpose. I pushed myself either farther or faster every time I headed out. In a month, I had nearly doubled the distance I could do in the time I gave myself. I noticed I felt better in general, and the scale started creeping down, without depriving myself. I also weighed myself every day. Didn't fret over the little up/down bobbles, so long as the overall trend was down. It kept me from getting too far off track.

I think the key is to start wherever you are (fitness-wise) and keep at it. Be smart about snacking. For me, deprivation can lead to a binge, so I'll limit myself to a small portion of whatever I'm hankering for rather than trying to avoid it completely (it makes me easier to live with, too).

A REALLY good book that helped keep me at it is, "Younger Next Year for Women" by Dr. Harry S. Lodge and Chris Crowley. (I'll celebrate my 50th birthday this summer.) I got the audiobook and listened to it while I walked. It is great fun, not "medi-speak"!

P

Great advice! We need all the encouragement we can get!

Voni
just back from New Zealand and Hawaii only 2 pounds heavier!

Back