• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Staying Fit through the Holidaze . . .

Voni

sMiling
Staff member
I'm tired of arriving at New Year's Day with the need to lose all the extra baggage that has found me over the mad Christmas rush. I've always liked to walk and now I have a Wii Fit to encourage me with games and yoga and fun.

I'm trying to see food a fuel instead of eating every goodie in sight.

But, is that enough? Guess we'll see.

What are you doing to stay in your best riding shape?

Voni
sMiling

The wife and I walk 2-3 miles every day. We also work out with weights for about 45 minutes 5 days a week. (on a side note I do 70 situps everyday) We have also started to eat smaller portions of healthier food. It's hard to get started but once you get into the habit and ignore the "we can take today off" urges, you feel so much better.

I joined a gym a few weeks ago. We have a new gym nearby called Planet Fitness. It is a chain and they are expanding. It was $29 to sign up and $10 per month with no contract. I figured that was too good a deal to pass up and so far, I'm enjoying it.

Besides trying to watch what I eat, and walking 5 or so times a week for 2-3 miles/walk, I bought a used Concept2 rowing machine. This will help ensure my legs are in shape for skiing this winter as well as strengthening all my muscles. When the snow flies, I'll also cross-country ski and snowshoe (besides the downhill skiing).

Muriel

Portion control is key.

Protein portions should be about 4 oz. Be careful with starches like potatoes and keep portions to about 4 oz. Be sure to eat lots of foods that are high in fiber. They'll keep you full for longer periods of time.

For reference, a 4oz portion of most proteins is about the size of a pack of cards.

I learned this stuff in Weight Watchers and have successfully been keeping 35 pounds off.

Exercise more, eat less, watch out for trigger foods (salty triggers sweet, etc),
and read the labels at the store. Be alert for high sodium percentages and the dreaded corn syrup.

Beer and liquor are the killers for obvious reasons.

Most of all, make sure your SO is on the same page with you.

Last edited:
I swim 30 lengths (3/4 of a kilometre) and lift weights on alternating week days, plus play squash once a week. Do some skiing and hiking, in season. Playing squash is the best work out of all, about 1300 calories per hour, but it's hard on the body, so I've cut back.

I'm very careful of what I eat; trying to stay under 190# (I'm 6'1").

Exercise and diet. If you wish to lose weight eat less calories than you burn; portion control can be thrown out the window if, and only if you eat a lot of plant material! Weight loss will not occur unless: A: You starve yourself. (Or.) B:You eat sensibly and EXERCISE.

Last edited:
Jim's right; just monitor your intake and usage then balance them.

I was in a convenience store down in TX this week, and there was a family buying "snacks" for the road. All of them were overweight, and it was pretty easy to see why. The counter was covered with fried pork skins, potato chips, and pastries.

It is hard to burn off calories. I weigh 145lbs. For me to burn an extra 1000 calories, I'd have to run 8 miles! While I used to run marathons, just thinking about running that far, now, motivates me to grab an apple, or at least the smaller piece of apple pie.

Tom

Basically it comes down to this folks.
No surprise.
Calories in vs Calories out.
What have you done physically today to consume calories vs what have you eaten today?
I don't care what you say or what plan you are on as long as I've been on this planet it's this formula and always will be.
There is no magic button because believe you me I'd be pressing it!
Two things to watch if I may.
Refined sugar (regardless whether you add it yourself or pre-processed; (work with unwashed whole sugars)) and enriched wheat flour (possibly the worst poison ever loosed on this Earth).

Last edited:
Holy smokes, just got over a week of H1N1, and my appetite is gone. :cry
BlackFly and I were sick in bed for 2 solid days with 102 fevers, we took turns handing each other the
the ear thermometer every two hours.

Before you start in with the sympathy, the silver lining is that having eaten next to nothing,
we're both noticeably lighter.

Flu, BAD. Temporary loss of appetite for short periods, GOOD.

I'm going to try KBasa's portion control as my appetite returns, and see if I can
make lemonade of all of this. :clap

I've heard a bit about H1N1, mostly from the east coast, nothing here.
Am I going to get an a shot? I think not, I'll take my chances.
Irene, sure it's not Ptomaine?!

I've heard a bit about H1N1, mostly from the east coast, nothing here.
Am I going to get an a shot? I think not, I'll take my chances.
Irene, sure it's not Ptomaine?!

Just loss of appetite, not :sick

There is no magic solution, but there is research that shows some common behaviors among people who have lost a significant amount of weight and maintained a lower weight:

- Weigh yourself regularly. Some studies say daily others say weekly is okay; this is a must to avoid rationalizing poor eating behaviors or lack of exercise.

- Count calories. When all is said and done, over the long term it is all about balancing energy taken in and energy expended.

- Exercise regularly, four days a week at a minimum, six is ideal.

- Keep a journal of you caloric intake, weight and exercise.

- Create a supportive environment in your home and work place. It's hard to avoid the constant presence of cookies etc.

These behaviors seem to give people their best chance at successfully keeping weight off.

You are all making me feel the old parochial guilt. I will behave beginning Jan. 2nd.:cry

Karen, keep this in mind: Its easier to stay fit than get fit! Feeling guilty?:)

AKBeemer, I'd say, "Forget the scales"! Put full length mirrors around the house; especially in the bathroom, and check yourself out frequently. Since muscle weighs more than fat, a scale can be deceiving and discouraging. It isn't so much how much you weigh, but how it is packaged and carried.

Tom

I've gained 5 pounds since my husband broke his leg. I'm out of my exercise routine and its affecting my attitude and the way my clothes fit.:(

I "tuned up" the Nordic Trak two weeks ago and took a 30 minute "spin" today. I finished up with some weights,then stretches. Feels good! My plan is to ski on the Nordie at least five days a week and add light weight training 2 or 3 days a week. If it ever snows and I can get out on real skis, I'll be a happy camper. :D

-eating strictly vegetarian at home, lots of tofu and meat substitutes

-red meat once a week

-replacing all lunchtime "crap food" (subway, chipotle burritos, halal cart) with a real boring salad/bean/1 scoop of chicken salad combo from the by the pound place

-diet soda, 2 a week and a friday regular soda "treat", keeping sugar consumption low in general

-eat breakfast and have a multi-vitamin, you'll have less for lunch and feel more energetic all day. instead of taking the elevator 3 floors, you'll take the stairs, heck, i often walk down from the 18th floor where i go often to my office on the 3rd.

-2 miles on the stationary bike, 3-5 miles on the treadmill, 5 times a week. i noticed i run more if i listen to my ipod, less if i watch "cash cab" on the treadmill tv. music that is good for running - The Happy Mondays, Mercyful Fate, NYC late 80s hardcore. music that is bad for running - Steely Dan, The Fall.

-less beer

:heart

Our diet in America is mostly sugar & things that turn to sugar. Mostly artifical factory made fake food stuffs. Exercise and try to eat from the farmers market, stuff of a 150 years ago. At least that is how I am trying to go about it. Soda really bad stuff, white bread also. ymmv

-eating strictly vegetarian at home, lots of tofu and meat substitutes ...

-less beer

:heart

Yer killin' me, here! :drink :eat
And of course, the advice is sensible even for general health purposes, let alone
weight loss.
I hate it that thoughtful selections and moderation are always the answers rather than
magic.

Back