Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Tire iron removal of rear tire on R1200RT

  1. #1

    Tire iron removal of rear tire on R1200RT

    I decided when I got my R12RT I wanted to do all the maintenance and repairs on it except warranty stuff and recalls.

    I got a large nail in my rear tire the other day. I successfully plugged the tire using a rope/rubber glue repair and got home fine. I'm in the process of replacing the rear tire myself, but I'm stuck and am looking to see if anyone has a trick that might help me get unstuck.

    The tire/wheel is off the bike and on a pad on the floor. I'm using the three tire iron/two rim protector approach to remove the tire. I broke the bead no problem. I used 3 "one by" blocks inside the bottom side of the rim to hold the tire in the center, lubed up the tire and the first bead popped off easily. I was surprised how easy the first bead came off.

    I'm stuck getting the second bead off. I can get two irons under the bead and I lift up the bead, but I can't seem to get the leverage to pop the second bead off.

    I've checked out the youtube videos on changing tires and did a Google search. On all those videos, the second bead seems to almost leap off the wheel. That's not happening for me.

    Any tricks out there for getting that second bead off?

    (QUICK NOTE: If you're going to post how your cousin Bob will dismount/mount them on his automated tire machine for $25, thanks. That cool. I can get it done locally for that too, but that doesn't help me learn to do it myself. )

  2. #2
    Honey Badger Semper_Fi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kingston, NH
    Posts
    5,725
    some dishwashing soap works wonders, have you tried that on the rim and tire?

    Also another thing that may help is a longer lever arm to give you that addtional oomph to pop the bottom.

    You didn't say it, but just incase watch out for the the TPM sensor when you put the pry bars.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

  3. #3
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,395
    Make sure the bead of the tire that is opposite of where you are working with the tire irons is in the center of the rim. The center is normally the part of the rim with the smallest diameter. Putting the bead against the center will give you the most tire to work with to get the bead off the rim. Helps to have an extra set of hands to hold the bead in position.

    Hope this works for you. It will get easier every time you do it.

    By the way, Harbor freight sells a tire changer with a motorcycle attachment for around $100. It is pretty rudimentary and will need some jury rigging to do an RT tire, but it makes it easier to do the work. I change all my own tires and it makes a big difference. You'll need to hold the wheel in place with a strap on the RT.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  4. #4
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,329
    The best way to get the 2nd bead off, is to come from the BACK side, meaning place the iron over top of the rim, under the bead, and hooked over the edge of the rim you are prying it over. Make sure you use a rim protector.

    I stand the partially removed tire and rim upright, place a single iron as described, and just pry it over. I then take my knee and push down on the tire and it will pop right off.

    Here is a little vid of my technique.

    http://www.easy-clan.com/ski/richard...%20removal.wmv
    Last edited by pffog; 11-24-2009 at 06:05 PM.

  5. #5
    Here is how I do it. It works the best for me, having tried lots of different techniques:

    Apply tire lube to wheel and bead.

    Lay tire/wheel down.

    Position yourself at the 6:00 position - pull the bead up into the drop center of the wheel at the 12:00 position. Use one iron at about the 6:30 position to bring bead up over the wheel. Insert the second iron at 5:30 and repeat.

    Alternate to 7:00 and then 5:00.

    At some point here I hold with a third iron at that 7:00 position and then alternate with two irons and small bites on counterclockwise from that 5:00 position until it about half off.

    Then it will just pull off.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern WV
    Posts
    688
    Years ago I bought one of these bead breakers from Harbor Freight. It doesn't take much room, it works fine, and is only about $40. I do use blocks of wood to support the wheel so it doesn't contact the metal base. I just break one side, turn it over and do the other, put it away, then remove the tire. BTW I just saw that HF now sells a BMW motorcycle wheel adapter for balancing.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    The best way to get the 2nd bead off, is to come from the BACK side, meaning place the iron over top of the rim, under the bead, and hooked over the edge of the rim you are prying it over. Make sure you use a rim protector.

    I stand the partially removed tire and rim upright, place a single iron as described, and just pry it over. I then take my knee and push down on the tire and it will pop right off.

    Here is a little vid of my technique.

    http://www.easy-clan.com/ski/richard...%20removal.wmv
    I watched your video, then went down and tried it. It took about 30 seconds to get the second bead off. Totally awesome.

    Many thanks.

    (Now I just need to work on getting the new tire on.)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Here is how I do it. It works the best for me, having tried lots of different techniques:

    Apply tire lube to wheel and bead.

    Lay tire/wheel down.

    Position yourself at the 6:00 position - pull the bead up into the drop center of the wheel at the 12:00 position. Use one iron at about the 6:30 position to bring bead up over the wheel. Insert the second iron at 5:30 and repeat.

    Alternate to 7:00 and then 5:00.

    At some point here I hold with a third iron at that 7:00 position and then alternate with two irons and small bites on counterclockwise from that 5:00 position until it about half off.

    Then it will just pull off.
    Thanks Paul. This approach worked for me on the first bead no sweat, but I couldn't get it to work with the second bead. The tire was just too tight. I must be too big a wus to work the irons correctly.

  9. #9

    Got it

    I got it.

    Thanks all for the assist. These forums are awesome.

  10. #10
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by alzyck View Post
    ...........

    (Now I just need to work on getting the new tire on.)
    If you lube it good, 95% of the time you can just push the first bead over the rim. with the rim laying flat in front of you, just kneel down hold the tire in front of you and angle it a little, put the bead over the rim at the 6 o'clock position, with hands at 2 and 10 o'clock just push down and wiggle it a little and it is 1/2 way done. Knees help on tougher tires.

  11. #11
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    The best way to get the 2nd bead off, is to come from the BACK side, meaning place the iron over top of the rim, under the bead, and hooked over the edge of the rim you are prying it over. Make sure you use a rim protector.

    I stand the partially removed tire and rim upright, place a single iron as described, and just pry it over. I then take my knee and push down on the tire and it will pop right off.

    Here is a little vid of my technique.

    http://www.easy-clan.com/ski/richard...%20removal.wmv
    Hi, I have never changed a tire before. It would be great if you could post, when available, a video of the entire technique - right from the start of breaking the first bead. Your video above sure demonstrated a simple technique for the second bead.

    Thanks

  12. #12
    Registered User Arkyride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N. Central Arkansas
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
    Years ago I bought one of these bead breakers from Harbor Freight. It doesn't take much room, it works fine, and is only about $40. I do use blocks of wood to support the wheel so it doesn't contact the metal base. I just break one side, turn it over and do the other, put it away, then remove the tire. BTW I just saw that HF now sells a BMW motorcycle wheel adapter for balancing.

    I have the exact same breaker only from JC Whitney--which has served me well for over 15 years. NAPA sells tire lube in a gallon size which they say is better than soap and should last a lifetime. I can't guess how many $$ I have saved by mounting and balancing my own tires. NAPA also has the short stem tire valves, P/N 90-412 in a box of 10 ea for really cheap compared to anything that says "motorcycle" on it (same thing). Cheers!
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800, Venom Yellow
    1999 BMW R-1100 RT, Dark Green
    2008 Suzuki DR650, Black

  13. #13
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Hi, I have never changed a tire before. It would be great if you could post, when available, a video of the entire technique - right from the start of breaking the first bead. Your video above sure demonstrated a simple technique for the second bead.

    Thanks
    I have a crude one that I was going to "polish" up, but just never got around to it. Maybe this winter I can do something.

  14. #14
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by dnelliott View Post
    Hi, I have never changed a tire before. It would be great if you could post, when available, a video of the entire technique - right from the start of breaking the first bead. Your video above sure demonstrated a simple technique for the second bead.

    Thanks
    There are some videos out there on the net. A Google search or a search of You Tube for something akin to "motorcycle tire repair" should get you something.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  15. #15
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,519
    Awesome video pffog! Looked real slick. After paying for multiple tire changes this year, I am leaning to trying this myself as well. Thanks to all for the information.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •