• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Finally did it

Atomic City Boxer
Greetings to you all,
I have been an Airhead'er for 6 years, and have always thought about joining BMWMOA and finally did it. What an axcellent website. The Forum itself is worth the price of admission, not to mention everything else.

I live in Santa Fe, NM and putter around on a 1980 R100RT. New Mexico has some excellent riding and hosts an annual Fall rally in the Taos mountains hosted by the Land of Enchantment BMW Riders (LOEBMWR).

Anyway, I am glad to be on board.
Steve

Welcome! Gotta love those airheads. I once lived in N. Mexico (Taos). There truly is some good ridin' around those parts.

Yep, Taos is a fun place for a multitude of reasons. I regularly run up there for coffee, and then on to the great loop rides that leave from there.

Yep, Taos is a fun place for a multitude of reasons. I regularly run up there for coffee, and then on to the great loop rides that leave from there.
Yeah, over the high road to Santa Fe through Penasco, or loop around through to Tres Piedras and on down through Espanola. I also liked the ride over to Las Vegas N. M. past Sipapu, beautiful! One of my favorites was the Enchanted Circle but of course will not get you back to Sante Fe.

Welcome Steve! I went to college in Las Vegas, built a log cabin in El Rito, and lived in Santa Fe for about 10 years. If you are ever up El Rito way, I'd love to have a picture of the Cabin if you could email one.

What part of Santa Fe do you live in?

I run through El Rito periodically and would be glad to take a picture. I actually live North of Santa Fe on the road to Los Alamos.

And seeing that you live in Republic brings back memories. I lived in Springfield in the early 80's and my former wife grew up in Marionville (Home of the White Squirrels)

Where is the cabin located?

And Jamesdunn, you are right..those are such great roads...very little traffic, scenic villages, nice sweepers....

154048- where/what significance is your screen name? LOL just curious!

I appreciate your efforts! What a coincidence that we have essentially traded places! I used to be an ElectricaL contractor in SF and did a lot of work up in LA.
I built the cabin back in the early 70's with logs that I hauled down from the national forrest (on the snow) with a team of borrowed mules.

There are almost no white squirrels left. It seems the grey squirrels have pretty much taken over, and the bite the gonads off of the young males while still in the nest. Ouch~! Thus rendering them unable to reproduce. It's tough out there in the animal kingdom.

Take 285 out of Espanola to 84, and go North. Then turn right on 554 N.
When you come into El Rito, you will pass the school (used to be elementry) at the
90* right hand turn. I believe it is the secocnd blacktop to the left after that which runs up into the Ntl. forrest. I'm pretty sure it's County Rd. 280. the cabin is about 2-3 miles from that turn (if memory is correct) on the right. There are two log cabins there. The one I built is closest to the Forrest, or the second one you come to. There is only one little farm on the right before you enter the National Forrest.

It's been 35 years since I've been there, so things may have changed since, but if you find the road NW into the National Forrest, it's there unless the natives burnt it down!
LOL

Thanks again I sure miss green Chile for breakfast,

I was born and went to school in LA, hense the Atomic City nombre.

I'll see if I can find the cabin (Dang, you really did the back to nature thing back in the 70's. 4 years ago there was a forest fire up on the mesa, but I don't think it got into the canyon. I have a feeling that there are quite a few houses up that road now. I'll see what I can find.

You should ride that Boxer out here for a reunion tour...

This New Member thread has become a bit of a N.M. thread! Not a bad thing. As a former New Mexican for seventeen years I am always glad to read things here N.Mexican.

Welcome Steve. Glad you are here. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Thanks to all for the welcome. BMWMOA is a first class operation. Glad to be here!
Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve! New Mexico is a very beautiful state. Spent a week or so there a few years ago at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. In October it was so warm and beautiful during the day but boy were we surprised just how fast it got cold once the sun dropped. Hope to return one day.:ca

Back