• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

vintage bike

M

MWEINMAYR

This is my firt try at posting a message
I own a 1952 R51/3, purchased for $200 iin 1963
Drove to California and back in 1966
presently "restoring" the bike

Does anyone know about what kind ahd how much oil and ow you add front shock oil?

reassembling the shocks was quite a task with no guidance manual. the fork had been previously assembled incorrectly. The reassembly sequence is important and not obvious. good t hat i had pleanty of time to figure is all out

Attachments

• frame-&-motor.jpg
    frame-&-motor.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 243
My Clymer manual for the '55-'69 twins says to use shock absorber oil such as Shell 4001, Belray 5W, or BP Olex 2463. I suspect you could use most any fork fluid. BMW sells fork fluid...other motorcycle shops carry it as well. Not sure of the R51/3 is any different, though.

Welcome to the MOA! You should definitely find yourself a copy of the workshop and parts manuals for your plunger frame bike, and the owners manual wouldn't hurt, either. They will help you a great deal when working on it.

You can find an online parts manual here: http://www.beemergarage.com/manuals.html

You can buy reprint books for your bike (and many parts, and get great free advice) from "Vech" at Bench Mark Works. Follow this link and just scroll down a bit in the Online Store: http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

Original work shop manual states:
"Fill 130 cc = 8 cu. in. of engine oil in each prong of fork as per lubricating chart...."
Engine oil called for is SAE 40 in summer and SAE 20 in winter.
I would assume a 10w40 oil would work, as well.:thumb

Back