• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

clearwater driving lights

Aux Lights

I have PIAA H7 bulbs in my low and high beams. I have NOT had any trouble with oncoming traffic flashing me because of the brightness.

I'm adding PIAA Cross Country HID auxiliary lights for extending night time driving.

I guess I'm sold on the PIAA products - fit and finish is excellent and everything works the way it's supposed to.

Brian

Same for me with my F800GS, H7's for hi / low beam, plus I have PIAA 510 ATP's with the H3 bulbs. I basically run all the lights all the time period here in the 24/7 DUI world of Las Vegas.

Something I just switched up on yesterday was I ordered a 510 driving light lens and swapped it out for the left side ATP lens. This gives me a nice bright wide right hand shoulder and the longer reach of a driving lamp on the left side.

As far as PIAA service, one of my PIAA bulbs went out at the Cedar City, UT BMW event and PIAA sent me a new bulb no questions asked.. just a copy of the sales receipt and no need to return the bad bulb.

Now I just wish my alternator had another 150-200 watts to I can run more lights and more heated gear!

RobStar

As far as PIAA service, one of my PIAA bulbs went out at the Cedar City, UT BMW event and PIAA sent me a new bulb no questions asked.. just a copy of the sales receipt and no need to return the bad bulb.

+1

When my PIAA kit arrived (amazon purchase) the switch was defective. A quick email note to PIAA customer service and they sent a new switch out immediately so I could complete my installation.

I have PIAA H7 bulbs in my low and high beams. I have NOT had any trouble with oncoming traffic flashing me because of the brightness.

I'm adding PIAA Cross Country HID auxiliary lights for extending night time driving.

I guess I'm sold on the PIAA products - fit and finish is excellent and everything works the way it's supposed to.

Brian

i am a PIAA fan myself (1100X set up on my R11S), but if you want HID, it will be MUCH more cost effective to just get HIDs as your regular lighting system. The PIAA X-C driving lights are mucho dinero, especially as compared to a full HID system.
btw, & fwiw- I have a full HID set on my R11S. Before the HIDs, the driving lights really enhanced the stock hi beam. Since the HIDs, the driving lights kinda fill in a bit of the gap betweent the hi & low beam patterns.

if you do decide to get driving lights, I would not recommend putting low (fork) mounted driving lights on a GS that is going to be seeing off-road duty.

Clearwater used my F800GS for the fitment of their lights. The set is installed on my bike now. I can report that they are very effective at increasing my visibility to oncoming vehicles, and it is nice to be able to dim them at night.

I do not find them particularly effective though at helping me see better at night. Now that I read the link posted at the top of this thread, I am thinking it is because of the pattern. Surely there is enough light being emitted, but if it is not being focused where you need it, it is less effective.

Near Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja. You cant see the F800GS, but it is there! Pic by Nader Saca
web.jpg

Back