• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which BMW do you suggest for a vertically challenged lady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth I have a '99 F650 that I had lowered with the factory kit. I am about 5'3". I can get both feet on the ground plus this bike is so light compared to my lowered R1100R that it's really fun to ride.

If you're a novice, take your time and don't go with a bike that is too big to handle. My other half did this and became fearful of riding because of the big jump from a 650 Savage to a 800 Boulevard.

Take your time and have fun too....

I would recommend a Suzuki GS500 or a Kawasaki EX500. These are fantastic motorcycles that can be purchased used for very short money. They're very simple motors and are stone reliable. Ride one of these around for a year and get comfortable with a larger machine. These bikes are about 7/8 scale and are lightweight and easily managed by a new/smaller rider.

Buy one of these, ride it for a year and then step up to a newer BMW. You get a whole bunch of motorcycle drops out of the way, you'll gain more confidence as your skills develop and you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for.

Then, when you go look at a bike, you'll know what you want when you go look for a BMW. With increased confidence from managing a smaller machine, you'll have the skills to manage stops and parking lots on a larger/taller bike.

lower a bike

Remember after you lower the bike you must also change the center stand. If you use the one that came with the bike it will be very difficult to put it on the center stand. I have a K12RS that has not been lowered and I can put it on the center stand very easily but the K100RS (1st owner changed it) that has been lowered I need help most of the time.

Becky

Remember after you lower the bike you must also change the center stand. If you use the one that came with the bike it will be very difficult to put it on the center stand. I have a K12RS that has not been lowered and I can put it on the center stand very easily but the K100RS (1st owner changed it) that has been lowered I need help most of the time.

Becky

+1 on that, my wife has a lowered R1200ST and if I leave it on she would drag it in turns.

Since she does not want it i only put the centerstand on to service her bike.

And depending how much you drop it you may need to adjust the side stand as the now lower bike may be too upright with the stock side stand down.

If you need to cut either down your local dealership should be able to advise you

Cheers

I shake my head in wonderment when I read advice to buy a new 800 cc motorcycle offered to a person who has about 5 months riding experience and is coming off a 250.

These are all fine bikes - I may buy one - but they are not my idea of a good next-step bike for a new rider.

Heck, I went from a ten speed bicycle to my dad's 650 in high school...:whistle

CC and Height

Saying a rider can change to a bigger cc or a taller bike by just knowing how long they have been riding totally wrong way to go about it. Each person is totally different. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. Everybody has different riding styles with their strengths and weakness. You need to keep your weakness as a rider (ie. u-turns, curves speed) and the bike's weakness (ie. top heavy or height) to a minimum to have a great ride. I feel that a bike is as personal as eye glasses. One size, shape or color does not fit all. But this does not mean that you can not learn to ride most bikes with the proper instruction and time/miles.

Becky

Saying a rider can change to a bigger cc or a taller bike by just knowing how long they have been riding totally wrong way to go about it. Each person is totally different. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. Everybody has different riding styles with their strengths and weakness. You need to keep your weakness as a rider (ie. u-turns, curves speed) and the bike's weakness (ie. top heavy or height) to a minimum to have a great ride. I feel that a bike is as personal as eye glasses. One size, shape or color does not fit all. But this does not mean that you can not learn to ride most bikes with the proper instruction and time/miles.

Becky

Exactly!!!

I've known guys that can drive down the street doing a front wheel stand but to my mind that doesn't make them good bike riders. Fearless, possibly....crazy, certainly....dangerous...absolutely.

Experience is gained over time but then again sometimes experience isn't enough. There are all sorts of "experienced" drivers out there that scare the hell out of me.
cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

Becky

I think we can all agree that a bike with 85hp is a bit much for a new rider, hence Paul's comment. It wasn't that long ago that race bikes were just struggling over the 100hp barrier and the big literbikes of the time had 85hp.

In my humble opinion the more time you spend on a small bike as a beginner, the better you'll be able to manage a larger bike later. The skills you need to develop in parking lots, Uturns, throttle and chassis management are simply easier on a small bike. When those abilities become habits, it's time to move up to something a bit bigger. This is why MSF uses 250s. Note that I said "a bit bigger". It's folly to go directly from a 250 or 500 to a liter plus bike.

Saying a rider can change to a bigger cc or a taller bike by just knowing how long they have been riding totally wrong way to go about it.

Back in 2002 I rode an R1100RT from Washington state back to Albuquerque for a friend of mine.

It was his first-ever motorcycle and the second he'd ever ridden following the little Buels at Motorcycle Safety.

He's under six feet tall but I'd call him fairly athletic (and self-confident) and he's been riding this bike ever since and has never to my knowledge had any problems.

So, I don't subscribe to the "start small" school but rather to the "start smart" school.

Building some upper body strength seldom is a disadvantage and there's no need to become muscle-bound, but it helps in motorcycling.

Here in the BMW world I think (hope) the empasis is more on touring than commuting, and IMHO the #1 requirement for a touring bike is comfort. This means an engine that isn't a buzz bomb single or cheapo vertical twin and a bike that isn't trying to be a mini chopper. Seems to me that if a tour of any length is an uncomfortable experience, the liklihood the person will continue at all with motorycling is severely affected. Starting cheap and small is a pretty poor introduction to touring.

It's also realistic as opposed to fantasy world to understand that motorcycling is an expensive hobby. To this end, I'd recommend the starter-outer start with all the nice, safe clothing required, and not, for example, a cheapo rainsuit that will blow away with any wind speed. Also, get gloves and boots that can stand up to some water, too. Good earplugs. Wouldn't it be nice, too, if the "starter" bike had heated handgrips? I wouldn't be without them and why would I think a beginner should be? Heated clothing.

Also part of this is some useful luggage. Again, should a beginner be required to have to bungee stuff all over a little bike and have the possibility of stuff falling off be yet another thing to worry about?

I think we can all agree that a bike with 85hp is a bit much for a new rider ...

No agreement here.

New rider doesn't have to use it and the bike isn't going to run away all by itself.

My Airhead has horsepower in the 60s somewhere and there are plenty of times it will go faster than I can ride it and I've been riding for 30 years. Have no fanatasies that I can give King Kenny Roberts a run for his money. No interest, either--I'd miss the scenery.

I agree with Kbasa and Ikchirs....avoid the F800ST; and I'll tell you why.

Two of my good friends wanted to get motorcycles. Neither had rode. After taking the MSF course, they went shopping.

One was 5'8 and the other was 5'0. Both just had to have BMW's, specifically the F800ST. Against my advise, they both bought F800ST's. One was factory lowered for my shorter friend....even so, my shorter friend was tip-toed on her bike. She was very uncomfortable riding it, and in fact tipped it over the first time she went out on it. She never gained confidence on it and it's now sitting at the local dealership on consignment.

I rode both bikes and found the throttle on both difficult to contend with. It was very "twitchy"... for lack of a better word...it seemed just a little throttle sent you off and flying. Not good for a new rider!!

Keep your 250 and master your skills...give some thought about what kind of riding you want to do. Look around at different bikes. Go to one of the mortorcycle shows. Sit on all the bikes you like. And then make your decision...

I agree with Laurie about agreeing with Dave and Kent.
I rode a smaller bike for 5 years until getting talked into jumping the BMW herd. Glad I had those 5 years or I could have been discouraged like Laurie's friend.

And Laurie is again correct about the F8ST's throttle. I don't know if I'd call it "twitchy", maybe "sensitive" or "responsive". It's right there right now and you'd better know it.

Anyroad, there is a quite a bit of sage advice here in this thread. Words of wisdom to be heeded.

And Laurie is again correct about the F8ST's throttle. I don't know if I'd call it "twitchy", maybe "sensitive" or "responsive". It's right there right now and you'd better know it.

Anyroad, there is a quite a bit of sage advice here in this thread. Words of wisdom to be heeded.

Say what??? I don't find the F800ST 'twitchy' nor do I recall that opinion prevailing on the F800 board that I frequent. Don't get me wrong, the bike has other areas that can use improvement. My R1200C on the other hand was twitchy especially at low gear/low rpms which is not atypical of some early FI twins.

Interestingly, I don't recall seeing a post from the original poster after the intial inquiry. Is she taking this stuff in?

I agree with Kbasa and Ikchirs....avoid the F800ST; and I'll tell you why.

I rode both bikes and found the throttle on both difficult to contend with. It was very "twitchy"... for lack of a better word...it seemed just a little throttle sent you off and flying. Not good for a new rider!!

QUOTE]

I disagree with your assessment of the F800ST. You call it "twitchy"...I call it responsive. If you want twitchy, I'll agree my K1200S with all 167 HP is TWITCHY!!!:thumb

It sounds like your 5' friend had height and confidence issues right off the bat and I'd wager that regardless of what bike she purchased she would have had issues. Maybe your negativity eroded her confidence and once that's gone...you're out of luck.

My wife's first bike after her cycle course was a 900 Vulcan. She road it for three years but decided it was too heavy and she wanted something lighter and more responsive. She test drove a bunch of bikes....Ducati Monster 696 (gutless) Moto Guzzi Breva 750 (gutless) BMW R1200R (nice but a tad heavy) and she settled on....you guessed it, an F800ST...she loves it
cbcK1200S - Colin
:bikes

As has been said before in this thread the selection of a motorcycle is a very personal decision. For me, my height and ability to reach the ground as needed was a significant consideration I also wanted a bike that I could tour on. I was pretty sure that I "could never" ride an R1200RT. Geez, just look at them; they are tall with lots of stuff to scuff or break; they look really big, too.

I sat on the RT with the low seat in the dealer showroom for 45 minutes (with my husband shaking the bike by the luggage rack to prove to me that I wouldn't drop the darn thing on the test ride) before I would even take it out. I think the sales guy was convinced that I was a good rider because I didn't drop the bike on the test run. :dunno

Once I rode it, I had to have it. Once I had it I didn't want to drop it. Its embarassing. I really love my RT. :heart

BUT, having said that we all must remember that the selection of a motorcycle is a very personal decision. We all consider different factors. My husband wasn't concerned about how heavy his bike was or whether or not he would drop it. He's dropped his bike (also an RT) a lot more that I have dropped mine, and the reason for this IMHO is because I am more mindful of what I am doing because I have less margin for error than he has.

This leads us back to the issue facing the OP. She is short and a relatively inexperienced rider. Girlfriend, you are in the risky zone. You may get a bigger bike capable of touring and have no issues or, you may get a bigger bike capable of touring and hate it. You might drop the bike a lot. You might get hurt. You might just feel nervous about dropping the bike and getting injured. This won't account for how you ride and respond to the challenges of riding a more powerful motorcycle that is capable of, well, a lot more than your 250 could even dream of.

Bottom line, your choice of an appropriate motorcycle for you will depend on your confidence, skill and comfort level. The decision should not depend exclusively on what other "apparently similarly situated" riders ride because we are all different and bring different levels of experience, skill, confidence and fearlessness to the task. You might consider checking out VTwinMama's forum and her table of bikes for short riders. http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm

I wish you well in your search for the "right" bike. Let us know what you decide to do. :lurk

I think the original poster had her question answered with some great advice. I also think this thread got off track and a bit personal. I might remind all that the intent of the womens form was to create a comfortable room for all to discuss Women's issues. Confrontation is one reason some members choose not to post.
This thread is now closed. Thank you everyone for posting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back