• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello!

X

XTrooper

After riding Harleys for nearly 40 years, I picked up my new '09 RT two weeks ago. Now that I have a little over 1000 miles on it, all I can is, I love it! :brow

These photos show the bike at Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA where I bought it and in my driveway the day I brought it home. :)

BMW_R1200RT_2.jpg

BMW_R1200RT_5.jpg

Last edited:
Why did I switch? Well, I'm sorry to admit it was age and chronic tennis elbow exacerbated by the weight and physical input needed to ride my much-appreciated Electra Glides.

I didn't want anything other than a touring bike and didn't want to take a step backwards in comfort, but I needed something lighter and more nimble. The BMW R1200RT seemed like the proper and logical choice and, as it turns out, it was! :)

Good to have you Steve. Did you ride as a trooper? That is, were you a motorcycle policeman? Great choice the RT, touring bike that will perform like a sport bike when necessary.

Welcome Aboard XTrooper :wave

Just about any technical question you might have about your RT
and
where to take them touring is available here either via the search button
or
by just starting a new thread.

Come back often.

Paul

Very nice introductory post Steve.

Your bike looks great!

Glad to have you here as part of the family. Looking forward to reading more of your posts as you get a chance to try out the new ride.

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! ;)

jamesdunn:
Good to have you Steve. Did you ride as a trooper? That is, were you a motorcycle policeman?

I received my motor officer training in the '70s and, for a time I was, but most of my career was on four wheels.

Thanks, moose! I was really wondering if I was making a $20K+ mistake when I bought my RT, but those concerns are well behind me now. :)

Welcome aboard XTrooper! Nice looking bike and of course everyone knows that black is the fastest and most nimble.

Why did I switch? Well, I'm sorry to admit it was age and chronic tennis elbow exacerbated by the weight and physical input needed to ride my much-appreciated Electra Glides.

I didn't want anything other than a touring bike and didn't want to take a step backwards in comfort, but I needed something lighter and more nimble. The BMW R1200RT seemed like the proper and logical choice and, as it turns out, it was! :)

I was riding a Harley softail and switched for many of the same reasons -- the change in weight and nimbleness was amazing. The lean angles far superior. The long-distance comfort superb. I won't go on but I could :)

Welcome to the forum -- this has been a great resource for me to learn about my RT and BMW bikes in general --- you'll get lots out of the discussions and some laughs along the way.

Very nice bike! It's so clean it looks like you could eat off it.:D

Thanks, guys! I've added a few things to the bike now that I've had it a few weeks (4 on Friday) and have a few more miles on it.

BMW pannier protectors
Fuzeblock FZ-1 fuse block
Ilium Works shift lever extension
Ilium Works side stand foot
RAM-B-345U reservoir cover center ball mount
Suburban Machinery rider foot peg lowering kit
Touratech brake lever extension
Touratech cylinder head guards
Touratech / Kahedo rider and passenger heated seats
West Tool & Design windshield support arms
ZTechnik VStream windshield

BMW_R1200RT_6.jpg

BMW_R1200RT_7.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome.

I'm sure you will find lots of interesting stuff here and in the Owners News. I'm still old fashioned and call it that instead of the logoized ON - but it's the same magazine by either name.

The R1200RT is a great bike.

Wishing you many happy miles.

Welcome!
That is a beautiful ride. Do you run around the bike with a Bowie knife stabbing pieces of dust before they land on the wax job?:stick

Thanks for the welcome!

ultracyclist: The trick is my special wax formula comprised of equal parts of liquid wax and DEET. ;)

Back