• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 can-bus & height question

MonkeyBoy

I was wondering if the F800ST has the can-bus electrical system. The one thing I dislike about my 1200GS is that can-bus system, what a pain.

also,

I am 6' with a 32'" inseam. when I sat on the 800ST at my dealer I felt a bit cramped. Is it that I'm just used to a big trailie or is this bike geared toward a smaller rider?

I was wondering if the F800ST has the can-bus electrical system. The one thing I dislike about my 1200GS is that can-bus system, what a pain.

also,

I am 6' with a 32'" inseam. when I sat on the 800ST at my dealer I felt a bit cramped. Is it that I'm just used to a big trailie or is this bike geared toward a smaller rider?

Yes, the F800 series has can-bus. Not sure what you want to wire in but it hasn't been a problem for many here.

If the ST feels cramped why not try either the F650GS (twin) or the taller F800GS? They're very road worthy, and off-road worthy, too. Lots of farkles are available including panniers from most any manufacturer you might want.

Hey MonkeyBoy

The F800ST (and the S model) actually have 3 different height seats that may be delivered with the bike. The standard, low and very low models. I think the very low is a special order, but my dealer had the ST delivered with the low seat. Make sure you were sitting on a standard seat and not the low one if the bike felt cramped. I am about 6 feet tall and the standard seat fits me fine.

tb

Just curious as to why the CAN-BUS is a pain. I've not had any problems with mine. I have direct wired several things to the battery. But I would always do that anyway. I like the idea of reduced wiring on the bike. I have a 1977 Honda and know all too well about old wiring. I'm not exactly young, but at 53, I'm not intimidated by computers. As a whole, this system should be considerably more reliable than the old wire system.

I'll take a stab at answering that :blah

I'm not intimidated by it either and indeed having less wires and the ability for the bike to be able to "think" about things is nice. The classic example is that CAN-BUS can (without a big bunch of interlock wiring) decide wether it is OK to turn on the starter motor when the start button is pushed depending on:

* bike in gear or not
* kickstand up or down
* clutch in or out
* moon in 7th house of Jupiter
* etc

The BAD news is that if something goes screwy it is hard to track down.
I have not seen advertised any CAN-BUS "readers". It would be nice to plug some USB-stick into a CAN-BUS port on the bike and then just eavesdrop on the "conversations" ... that way troubleshooting would be lots easier....
"Oh look the microswitch on the kickstand is sending the "DOWN" signal even when it is retracted no WONDER the bike won't start...."

For example ... a while back my heated grips would just turn themselves on. The switch would be OFF, but grips would be (and stay) hot ... I never figured it out... problem went away after a week or so....

The other bad (and good) news is that since the CAN-BUS knows what the "correct" current draw is for different devices it will turn off the device and post an error if something goes bad ...
The problem is that from the CAN-BUS's perspective, adding Hyper-Lites to the brake system is "bad" ... now the brake light draws too much current.
Or adding an extra horn to the bike is bad for the same reason.....

That's where the whining comes in ... at least from what I've seen....
I still like the system, and if I HAD a reader that would allow me to listen in on traffic and maybe do some simple reprogramming of the system to say ... tell CAN-BUS that the extra 0.5A of current the brake lights were drawing was OK ... I'd be great :laugh

The BAD news is that if something goes screwy it is hard to track down.
I have not seen advertised any CAN-BUS "readers". It would be nice to plug some USB-stick into a CAN-BUS port on the bike and then just eavesdrop on the "conversations" ... that way troubleshooting would be lots easier....
"Oh look the microswitch on the kickstand is sending the "DOWN" signal even when it is retracted no WONDER the bike won't start...."I still like the system, and if I HAD a reader that would allow me to listen in on traffic and maybe do some simple reprogramming of the system to say ... tell CAN-BUS that the extra 0.5A of current the brake lights were drawing was OK ... I'd be great :laugh

http://www.gs911usa.com/

and

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/

It works great for resetting your maintenance reminder too...

Ergo mods available

+1 on what bullit7801 said ...

Note also that you can get lower pegs to help increase the seat to peg distance (If memory serves, Buell pegs work for that or Suburban Machinery)

Thanks for the feedback.

I've considered the F800GS, but I already have a 1200GS w/ all the off road farkles and gadgets. I really like the looks of the F800ST and I like the idea of having a sporty bike in my stable. So great news on the seat and peg adjustability, I prob. was sitting on a low seat.

As far as the Can-bus goes, I have had a lot of trouble with electronic devices working when they want to and no one has been able to figure it out exactly.:dunno They just clear the codes and eventually the bike starts acting up again. And I'm not talking crazy accessories. I have fog lights direct to battery and Zumo and hyper-lites. I thought it might be the hyper lites, but even w/out still have trouble with Zumo going out. usually just have to turn the bike off and on and all ok.:scratch

Has anyone come off a GS12 and onto an 800ST? was it a difficult change? I'm planning on flying South to VA. in Jan. and riding my new bike to the west coast so I won't have a lot of time to get used to it before the long haul cross country. I'm a bit worried that I'll have to ride right into my chiropractors office when I get there:violin

Back