• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Look who's coming to dinner.

:clap

Thank you for sharing that lovely prose, my Sister-Girlfriend-Helen.
Consider this a big hug across the LAKE, and a toast of a fine Zin to you, for sharing.

Love you!

I anticipated your advice and invited two familyless friends to join me and my family next week. Sure wish you could join us and make your Turkey stuffing for us.
Thanks for sharing, Helen.

I hear you Helen

Thank you for your beautiful prose. :bow You have expressed sentiments similar to mine but much more eloquently that I ever could. Over the years I have been the recipient of the generosity of others and given to others as well. Both the giving and the receiving feel great. Sorry that you are personna non grata at your daughter's this year and that the rest of your family is so far away...raising a glass or two of fine red wine to you.

There is so much turmoil in my family right now, I think I really want to stay home and have a Bobbie for dinner.

(Bobbie: A turkey sub with stuffing and cranberry sauce from Cappriotti's. It's a Delaware delicacy.)

Sounds great, NewStar!

Helen, you have such a gift for words. I hope your book is coming along soon. I know I want a copy!

Voni
sMiling

Sounds great, NewStar!

Helen, you have such a gift for words. I hope your book is coming along soon. I know I want a copy!

Voni
sMiling

I wish NewStar could send me a bobbie! Sounds like just the thing.

Keep you fingers crossed about the book Voni it's closer than ever!

OooOoOoOoh, not again! Friends in the neighborhood that DON'T ever call me... :whistle

Black Fly and I gather with our friends who are also childfree, and their empty nest parents.
There is little funnier than old Mainahs, they like their humor dry, and their turkey moist, ayuh!
Often there is a venison pie or some other lovely old traditional dessert (a berry or apple buckle, betty,
dump, crisp, pie or crumble.)

If I were on the coast, I'd stop by:clap But Walt is in Anson - a fair ways inland. Heck, we rarely get to see Hannu and Leslie - in the next town. Sigh.

Have a happy. Be happy, be thankful, be glad, and be gay . . . that you're not a turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

Phew, got my annual ditty posting over and done with for this year.

Muriel

I might suggest that those of you that are hosting a Thanksgiving celebration, pull another chair up to the table, get on the phone and call around until you find someone who "doesn't have plans" and share your celebration with them. Keep calling until you find someone, hijack someone from an old folks home, ask at your church or doctors office... there IS someone out there who would be thankful to be included.

Good Idea, Helen....When I lived in Waukesha, and cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the family, I'd often invite friends that had no immediate family nearby. What's a couple more plates at the table...(even if they have to sit at the "kids'" table:D

Certainly no match for Helen's prose, but I used to have fun with the following:

As we travel the land on our shiny two-wheels...
we often forget to give thanks
For the friends that we've made, for the vistas we've seen,
and for the money to put gas in our tanks.

When you're seated today among family and friends,
and you're feasting on turkey and dressing
Close you eyes and recall all the sights that you've seen
and give thanks as you count all your blessings!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to my MOA family!!!!

Karol Patzer
BMWMOA Ambassador

PS:....we're going to Wisconsin to my son's and they're cooking :clap (the primary cook is vegetarian, and doesn't make us eat To-furkey :sick

Friends, lets also remember those who won't be with friends and family for other reasons. Begin with those who are in harm's way keeping us safe. Then there are the police and fire services closer to home. Also remember those with your utilities, keeping the lights on and other things working. We don't just all go home for the holidays, as much as we'd like to. I know over the years I've missed more family holiday events than I've made.I'm sure there are others who can speak the same.

Hi, All,
Last year (before the lay-off) I was working at the copper mine in Morenci, AZ. With Harriet gone and no one in the house, I pulled an extra shift and let someone with a family stay home during the holiday (same at Christmas). This year, being "forcibly retired", I'm cooking dinner at home - roasted, stuffed Cornish Game Hens - for Harriet's 2 brothers. The 3 of us will have dinner and then all three of my K75's will be in use for the rest of the day and probably the next day or two.

[The 3 of us will have dinner and then all three of my K75's will be in use for the rest of the day and probably the next day or two.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday!:eat

In my humble opinion Thanksgiving is the beginning of the holiday season where we really feel the stress of any family dysfunction. This is the time of year that I think about how I wish I had a family that was close. In the last couple of years I've realized family is what you make of it. It's not the bio family, it's the family you choose.

We're really lucky that the kids actually do love us. Thanksgiving this year will be at my son-in-law's parents house. They only live a few miles from us. Joining us will be my son, my daughter, son-in-law (of course) and our grandson Roman. We're very lucky. This isn't an obligation, it's a choice. And Mark and I have each other. Doesn't get much better than that.

We've always invited people that are alone (for whatever reason) to Thanksgiving dinner. That's what it's all about. So - I'll take this moment to wish all of you blessings and a peaceful, stress-free holiday.

:heart

Well, Thanksgiving was last month for us, that's so we get the best pick of the turkeys!:D

I always cook our turkey on the BBQ, uncovered for the last 20 or 30 minutes with the rear infra-red burner on to give the turkey that nice colour.

Darn, now I'm dreaming of turkey, stuffing, cranberries, parsnips..............Rod.

just finished making my Tourtiere (French Canadian Meat Pie) and will be heading up to MA with it in a cooler tomorrow afternoon. 2 thanksgiving dinners on thursday about 2 hours apart then planning on hanging with friends and my dad this weekend. still better than trying to cram anyone into my place.:D

have a good one everybody!

I long for the Thanksgiving of old.
When my mom was alive we celebrated the November birthdays among "us" kids over Thanksgiving. It was an old fashioned kind of get-together, offering the traditional culinary family goodies with a special cake-a big torte, actually, baked by a survivor of the camps who owned an old fashioned bakery (read: 500 calories per bite!).

As mentioned in other posts in this thread, our extended family has many of the characteristics of others including the challenge of distance, some strained family relations, and this horrific economy.

I miss those days. I miss the simplicity and the clarity.

What is Newstar's book about?

Back