• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 R75/6 Inquiry

tom56

I am reviewing a '72 R75/5 with a Czech sidecare. The machine has 126K miles, needs tires and possibly new paint on the tank, This BMW has a faring on the bike and windscreen on the car.

What's it worth ?

Thanks

Thomas Sells
SE Mich

Not enough information

1- While 126K would not be terminal mileage for a well cared for R75/5, a person would want a reliable service record to help establish a reasonable degree of confidence in the vehicle.
2- The stock R75/5 is not recomended for sidecar use. It is generally considered to be un-safe to run a sidecar on an airhead without substantial frame reinforcement.
3- A market is not made, nor a value established until a seller and buyer strike a deal and the trade is consumated. Since I am not in "the market" for an R75/5 with a Czech side car, my opinion is meaningless, however....

Based on the info provided, I'd offer $1200 and forget about it if the seller did not counter offer well under $2000

P.S. the R75/5 is a great bike, but not recognized as vintage.
I believe for the purpose of this forum, vintage would be a bike made before 1970.

Re: Not enough information

woodnsteel said:
1- While 126K would not be terminal mileage for a well cared for R75/5, a person would want a reliable service record to help establish a reasonable degree of confidence in the vehicle.
2- The stock R75/5 is not recomended for sidecar use. It is generally considered to be un-safe to run a sidecar on an airhead without substantial frame reinforcement.
3- A market is not made, nor a value established until a seller and buyer strike a deal and the trade is consumated. Since I am not in "the market" for an R75/5 with a Czech side car, my opinion is meaningless, however....

Based on the info provided, I'd offer $1200 and forget about it if the seller did not counter offer well under $2000

P.S. the R75/5 is a great bike, but not recognized as vintage.
I believe for the purpose of this forum, vintage would be a bike made before 1970.

That sounds about the right price to me. You're looking at having to put some decent bucks into tires and paint right off the bat. Does this rig run? Who knows the shape that the electrics are in. You might be looking at a couple more hundred bucks there. Also, that is quite a few miles on a bike. I bought my K75s with a 100000 miles on it and a full folder of all the service that had been done on it by dealers and by the owner. I'd be real wary of spending much more than 1200 bucks. Look at it this way, for a little bit more cash you could get something with lower miles, possibly some service records, and peace of mind about your purchase (that itself alone is priceless) and possibly save some money in the long run.

If you fiGURE $3000 for the R75, and $1500 for the car, that is top shelf price for both.JAS

woodnsteel said:
If you fiGURE $3000 for the R75, and $1500 for the car, that is top shelf price for both.JAS
Just my humble opinion, but JAS is right, $4500 for this rig, it should be in really good shape, ready to ride. Sounds like it isn't, but I have not seen it. I have a Russian sidecar on my R75/5. It has a special subframe, and steering head modifications for sidecar use. If I were to sell it, I'd be looking for $4500 or more. I saw a /5/Velorex rig on the IBMWR Marketplace, asking $2400 I think. IT looked rough, but claimed ran well. No subframe, lots of rust, original paint. You are probably wise to pass on this one. Watch Ebay and the IBMWR for sidecar rigs. Or get a good Airhead, and build one. Dauntless Motors is really good for sidecar subframes, and modifications. Also Perry's BMWs and Sidecars in Fort Worth Texas. He specializes in Airheads with Russian Dnepr Sidecars (similar to Ural).
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA
pfestus1@yahoo.com
1998 R1100GS, 1978 R100S, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, KLR 650

Back