Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Six Cylinder Ks

Rally Rat
    Is it for the added horsepower, or useable power/torque, with better fuel consumption? You guys are right, how much is enough? But when you figure that more people are riding longer distance, with more gear, and possibly 2-up, why not build a bike that will do it all? It seems to me the 6 cylinder sport model is just a teaser for the LT that will carry the same or similar motor. Back when I rode a LTD 454 I thought an 800 would be too much bike, now I can't imagine going back down to just 800cc's. The truth is I would be fine on a 800, and depending on the road I'm on, probably couldn't fully utilize all that an 800 has to offer, but now that I've been on one 1200 or another for 5 years, why go back?

Oh well, sometimes common sence doesn't come into the equasion..............

It is like a biplane, a mono plane and a jet plane. Different rides, but what drives technology is refinement and power, or the desire for it. Each bike and time has it's charm, that is why we end up with more then one bike. I love to tool around on the old air heads, cruise at nice speeds on the k bikes and I have a couple of ducati's I like to ride when the mood is right. Talk of going back, I can not imagine having to live with one bike. This new bike makes lots of sense for BMW, apart from their niche market, they want to compete with the best anybody has to offer in all fields. The six will have the power, works for me, I am wondering how it will effect handling, it looks like they narrowed it down a lot. I will always ride a BMW, BMW just wants to get the attenion of them other people out there. So, for myself, I am coming out of the closet and freely admit, I want all the controllable power I can get, there is nothing like the feeling of twisting that throttle as you move down the road. I like the looks of the bike, the looks are in the eye of the beholder, Saw your post, my two cents.

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    Though the Goldwing is an exception to that rule...
    True. But it is the only long term six I am aware of, does not mean it is a bad idea for BMW. Time will tell.

P Monk

6 cylinders in line

If only you didn't have to adjust the valves.

BMW service costs are already out of my income level.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by 58058 View Post
    Though the Goldwing is an exception to that rule...
    I recall being part of a focus group giving input to building a "new" k bike. The BMW engineer stated that Honda sells more Goldwings in the USA than BMW did all models combined.

Perhaps this is the big component for eating some of Goldwing's lunch.

I remembering hearing about when the Japanese wanted start making motorcycle, they wanted to make what everybody else was making, two cylinder bikes. It is a long story but they decided to make and develope fours. As you can see it worked and they took over the market, at the time it was a risk. Instead of doing what everybody else is doing BMW is starting with a new slate and in this area, every body else will be doing catch up. This is a smart move and it is up to BMW to make it work right. If you want a new old bike, buy a restored bike, nothing wrong with wanting that, but if you want a new bike that is what people are looking for even if they do not want to admit it, they want something new. You know like in the movie troy, we want more. To expand the market share BMW is thinking outside the box, there is a risk with that, as there is a risk with doing the same old thing. two cents

Rally Rat
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the sound of a inline six at full boil. Normally, I like a quiet bike, but in this case, you want some noise, not a lot, but enough. Problem is all the potential for tickets from winding it out. Wonder if we could have switch adjustable noise. Like the one Harley setup with a quiet valve. This has the chance to actually pry my fingers open. Well, not much of a chance, since probably will be north of 20K, but used??? With my luck everyone will love theirs too much to sell.

I wait to see the finished bike.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by landshark View Post
    It is a long story but they decided to make and develope fours.
    It's not a long story at all: They copied Friedel Munch.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

wharthog
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    I recall being part of a focus group giving input to building a "new" k bike. The BMW engineer stated that Honda sells more Goldwings in the USA than BMW did all models combined.

Perhaps this is the big component for eating some of Goldwing's lunch.
    How do I get that job?

Six cylinder is a design ++

The straight six is a better design from a vibration/ balance standpoint than any 4 cyl.
    BMW auto's have used this design for years.

The straight-six engine or inline-six engine (often abbreviated I6, L6 or R6) is a six cylinder internal combustion engine with all six cylinders mounted in a straight line along the crankcase. The single bank of cylinders may be oriented in either a vertical or an inclined plane with all the pistons driving a common crankshaft. Where it is inclined, it is sometimes called a slant-six engine. The straight-six layout is the simplest engine layout that possesses both primary and secondary mechanical engine balance, resulting in relatively low manufacturing cost combined with much less vibration than engines with fewer cylinders.[1]

From wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_6

Honda tried this in 1978-1980 with the CBX to much maintenance (valves) to be usable. Good bike did not sell.

From another post:

"Back when I rode a LTD 454 I thought an 800 would be too much bike, now I can't imagine going back down to just 800cc's. "

Yes anything under 1 liter seems like not enough power today. But my 750 airhead is quite enough for me at this time.

Thanks
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

With this bike one would have to be light on the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfelton View Post
    With this bike one would have to be light on the throttle.
    Ever see a Hayabusa. Or a GSXR100. Or the Triumph Rocket III. Or even the S1000RR. We don't even know the displacement of this 6. We only know the number 6.

It will really only be "powerful" by BMW standards, not necessarily industry standards.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/