Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Six Cylinder Ks

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Six Cylinder Ks

BMW introduced an inline six-cylinder caf?ģ racer concept at the 2009 EICMA show in Milan, Italy.

Inline-six engines have a staple in BMW‘«÷s automobiles for decades and the German manufacturer‘«÷s motorcycle division took on the challenge of adapting the straight-six to a bike without making it too long or too wide. The result is the BMW Motorrad Concept 6, and an evolution BMW says ‘«£will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future‘«ō.

For more info click here

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Paul,

One part of the press release was particularly interesting.....

"The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine"
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS4v 2009 R1200RT
    SS1000, BBG, 50CC- NYC to SF

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post
    . . . The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine"
    That could be a great motor for a new version of the LT. Let's just hope it doesn't look like a transformer.

Easy

If it looks like the concept it will be an ugly bike.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Rally Rat
    Looks like a combination of a K1200R and a S1000RR. I kinda like it. I'm sure the production model will be softer, look how the S000RR changed from the initial full bike to final production. While it kept much of it's design themes, it is less edgey, IMHO. I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do with the LT!

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    If it looks like the concept it will be an ugly bike.
    Which is what they said about the R1100/1150/1200GS series - which are such awful sellers in the marketplace (#1 in Europe). I know it doesn't look like a toaster tank or anything, but it looks OK to me.

But, that is all academic - it is a platform to show off the engine to be used on the new K1xxxLT - not a sport bike - yet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Yeah, I know. I've got a group of ugly bikes (except my K75). Ugly can sell. It's all about convincing people they can't live without it.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Which is what they said about the R1100/1150/1200GS series - which are such awful sellers in the marketplace (#1 in Europe). I know it doesn't look like a toaster tank or anything, but it looks OK to me.

But, that is all academic - it is a platform to show off the engine to be used on the new K1xxxLT - not a sport bike - yet.
    Sport bike? At the point maybe the bike with sprout wings and fly.

It's an interesting engine to build a lot of stuff around.

6 cylinder/ Really?

You know, I can't think of why anyone would need more horsepower than the 4 cylinder K1300S already has. If 170 doesn't do it for you, are you really going to be any faster with more weight, width, and complexity? Why ask why?

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingfool View Post
    You know, I can't think of why anyone would need more horsepower than the 4 cylinder K1300S already has. If 170 doesn't do it for you, are you really going to be any faster with more weight, width, and complexity? Why ask why?
    It's all a matter of perspectie, imo.

I had a Valkyrie and thought OMG this is insane, then I had a Goldwing and thought that was all the power any sane person needed, then I got an RT and got the same speed but handling thown on top of that, then I test drove a KGT and it was over at that point.

Do I need more horsepower than in my KGT, short answer is no, would I get something that has the same abilities and more courage...... would certainly think about it.

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingfool View Post
    There are folks that buy Hyabusas. How fast can you go?

BMW may be counting on folks who want to buy the biggest and baddest - and the fastest.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 11-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    It's all a matter of perspectie, imo.

I had a Valkyrie and thought OMG this is insane, then I had a Goldwing and thought that was all the power any sane person needed, then I got an RT and got the same speed but handling thown on top of that, then I test drove a KGT and it was over at that point.

Do I need more horsepower than in my KGT, short answer is no, would I get something that has the same abilities and more courage...... would certainly think about it.

Good point. . .

Man has always had an unusual fascination with speed. There must have been some people who thought commitment when they saw Rolland Free in his shorts going for the record in his superman pose.

Hundreds of years from now (if we don't wipe ourselves out first) when we figure out a way to achieve light speed, the next day a group of scientists will set to work on how to go faster.

And alas, the ship could look like a transformer.

Easy

“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.”
    Dave Barry
    Last edited by Easy; 11-21-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Gentlemen,
    It's never about "enough". We went past that a long time ago.
    I might never get the K1300GT to full throttle at peak-HP RPMs (and certainly not with my wife on board) but it's there waiting!
    There is something about riding a machine you could not have dreamed of 45 years ago...
    JerryAttrick
    2013 K1600GTL, "Siegfried"
    But Mom, I've never found "well enough".

JAMESDUNN
    Six cylinders is a concept that keeps comin' back around. Remember the CBX by Honda, or the big Kawasaki? There were others. Generally, the six cylinder bikes don't stay long. Wonder why?

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Though the Goldwing is an exception to that rule...
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/