• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Six Cylinder Ks

PAULBACH

a19a6a55.jpg

BMW introduced an inline six-cylinder caf?® racer concept at the 2009 EICMA show in Milan, Italy.

Inline-six engines have a staple in BMWÔÇÖs automobiles for decades and the German manufacturerÔÇÖs motorcycle division took on the challenge of adapting the straight-six to a bike without making it too long or too wide. The result is the BMW Motorrad Concept 6, and an evolution BMW says ÔÇ£will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable futureÔÇØ.

For more info click here

Paul,

One part of the press release was particularly interesting.....

"The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine"

Looks like a combination of a K1200R and a S1000RR. I kinda like it. I'm sure the production model will be softer, look how the S000RR changed from the initial full bike to final production. While it kept much of it's design themes, it is less edgey, IMHO. I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do with the LT!

If it looks like the concept it will be an ugly bike.

Which is what they said about the R1100/1150/1200GS series - which are such awful sellers in the marketplace (#1 in Europe). I know it doesn't look like a toaster tank or anything, but it looks OK to me.

But, that is all academic - it is a platform to show off the engine to be used on the new K1xxxLT - not a sport bike - yet.

Yeah, I know. I've got a group of ugly bikes (except my K75). Ugly can sell. It's all about convincing people they can't live without it.

Which is what they said about the R1100/1150/1200GS series - which are such awful sellers in the marketplace (#1 in Europe). I know it doesn't look like a toaster tank or anything, but it looks OK to me.

But, that is all academic - it is a platform to show off the engine to be used on the new K1xxxLT - not a sport bike - yet.

Sport bike? At the point maybe the bike with sprout wings and fly. :laugh

It's an interesting engine to build a lot of stuff around.

6 cylinder/ Really?

You know, I can't think of why anyone would need more horsepower than the 4 cylinder K1300S already has. If 170 doesn't do it for you, are you really going to be any faster with more weight, width, and complexity? Why ask why?

You know, I can't think of why anyone would need more horsepower than the 4 cylinder K1300S already has. If 170 doesn't do it for you, are you really going to be any faster with more weight, width, and complexity? Why ask why?

It's all a matter of perspectie, imo.

I had a Valkyrie and thought OMG this is insane, then I had a Goldwing and thought that was all the power any sane person needed, then I got an RT and got the same speed but handling thown on top of that, then I test drove a KGT and it was over at that point.

Do I need more horsepower than in my KGT, short answer is no, would I get something that has the same abilities and more courage...... would certainly think about it.

:beer

There are folks that buy Hyabusas. How fast can you go?

BMW may be counting on folks who want to buy the biggest and baddest - and the fastest.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of perspectie, imo.

I had a Valkyrie and thought OMG this is insane, then I had a Goldwing and thought that was all the power any sane person needed, then I got an RT and got the same speed but handling thown on top of that, then I test drove a KGT and it was over at that point.

Do I need more horsepower than in my KGT, short answer is no, would I get something that has the same abilities and more courage...... would certainly think about it.

:beer

Good point. . .

Man has always had an unusual fascination with speed. There must have been some people who thought commitment when they saw Rolland Free in his shorts going for the record in his superman pose.

Hundreds of years from now (if we don't wipe ourselves out first) when we figure out a way to achieve light speed, the next day a group of scientists will set to work on how to go faster.

And alas, the ship could look like a transformer.

Easy :german

“Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.”
Dave Barry

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
It's never about "enough". We went past that a long time ago.
I might never get the K1300GT to full throttle at peak-HP RPMs (and certainly not with my wife on board) but it's there waiting!
There is something about riding a machine you could not have dreamed of 45 years ago...

Six cylinders is a concept that keeps comin' back around. Remember the CBX by Honda, or the big Kawasaki? There were others. Generally, the six cylinder bikes don't stay long. Wonder why?

Is it for the added horsepower, or useable power/torque, with better fuel consumption? You guys are right, how much is enough? But when you figure that more people are riding longer distance, with more gear, and possibly 2-up, why not build a bike that will do it all? It seems to me the 6 cylinder sport model is just a teaser for the LT that will carry the same or similar motor. Back when I rode a LTD 454 I thought an 800 would be too much bike, now I can't imagine going back down to just 800cc's. The truth is I would be fine on a 800, and depending on the road I'm on, probably couldn't fully utilize all that an 800 has to offer, but now that I've been on one 1200 or another for 5 years, why go back?

Oh well, sometimes common sence doesn't come into the equasion..............

It is like a biplane, a mono plane and a jet plane. Different rides, but what drives technology is refinement and power, or the desire for it. Each bike and time has it's charm, that is why we end up with more then one bike. I love to tool around on the old air heads, cruise at nice speeds on the k bikes and I have a couple of ducati's I like to ride when the mood is right. Talk of going back, I can not imagine having to live with one bike. This new bike makes lots of sense for BMW, apart from their niche market, they want to compete with the best anybody has to offer in all fields. The six will have the power, works for me, I am wondering how it will effect handling, it looks like they narrowed it down a lot. I will always ride a BMW, BMW just wants to get the attenion of them other people out there. So, for myself, I am coming out of the closet and freely admit, I want all the controllable power I can get, there is nothing like the feeling of twisting that throttle as you move down the road. I like the looks of the bike, the looks are in the eye of the beholder, Saw your post, my two cents.

6 cylinders in line

If only you didn't have to adjust the valves.

BMW service costs are already out of my income level.

Though the Goldwing is an exception to that rule...

I recall being part of a focus group giving input to building a "new" k bike. The BMW engineer stated that Honda sells more Goldwings in the USA than BMW did all models combined.

Perhaps this is the big component for eating some of Goldwing's lunch.

Back